Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
No. He still has his age 18,19, & 20 seasons ahead of him. It really is not uncommon for higher picks to break out @19.

I hope so still waiting for his break out. Giroux 5th round pick for Minnesota, and Moskal invite Columbus, should get drafted next draft.

I do think Gilhula can help when he gets back, but we had better talent locally during that draft.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
IMHO as a Ranger fan without him in net, the Rangers would've won by at least 2 maybe 3. Great to see for the great fans of Sudbury!!!!
Right I watched the game again though and the Rangers goalie was solid as well. Ukko made a couple of key saves around the time the Wolves got their two goals but at least until mid way through the third when the Rangers pushed hard, he did not have to steal the game all the way through. Nowhere near like he did in Niagara. Wolves defence didn’t look that bad at all, they outshot the Rangers too. One player that really jumped out was Stratis. It took a Rangers fan to make me watch him closely and he was a huge impact player. Looking like Ottawa gave up too early on him, great move by paps. Anyone who hasn’t been a fan of his game would do well to watch him now.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The bolded parts of your post is what bugs me, because you keep going on about how overrated he is, but if that is truly the case, then why would you have expected him to be such a big leader on this team?

As for the rest of it, I think this is why I say things like "pump the breaks"

Through 8 games, Murray has not been as dynamic as I thought he'd be to start the year, I'll concede that. He did show last year however that he is a good decision maker, a workhorse on both ends of the ice, and has the ability to make others around him (ie. the twins) better. Remember at the end of last year he was on the PP1 unit and even spent time on the PK. He was playing both ends of the ice very well. He was the first one in the corner after every puck, the effort was unbelievable. He had 21 goals and 44 points in 57 games as a 16 year old, playing half of the season with less than stellar offensive players. We haven't seen that yet (after only 8 games) this year, however most of us here seem to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... as again it's only been 8 games. I think to write Murray off so early and not expect that he'll come back and progress further from his strong rookie season is about as much an overreaction as it would be to believe the Wolves will remain the #1 team in the OHL all season, lol.

I think it's worth noting that he played much better on this road trip by everyone else's accounts who watched the games (I admittedly only listened to the audio of the game Friday night) than he did in the first 5 games. He'll be fine.
Don’t want Murray going anywhere!

Reactions: WaW

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Adding a top pairing D or top six RW would be great. But trading Murray is not the way to do it, imo. With Hutcheson, Tabak, Murray, and Bulitka all being left shots; I think Carson is the expandable piece that can return enough picks to use toward a more needed D or RW; and, that move would also open a spot for an OA D for next season. One or two of the current bottom four of eight D would also have to go if acquiring a top D for this season.
If Carson is removed, Murray can play LW with Levin & Byfield. Bulitka can get more minutes playing between the twins.
Well a differing of opinions is what makes a hockey forum. I totally disagree. Carson is a big, strong skilled player that brings a lot to the table. He laid out some bone crunching hits yesterday.

Reactions: tremblay52

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
You know what bugs me about your post? That you failed to read my entire post.

You sound particular upset and have been since my first post

Hope this makes things as clear as possible for you. Don't know how clearer I need to explain myself.

For the record, I read you're entire post (again, just like I did in every case), but I think you lose the right to reasonably rip people for "not reading your entire posts" when you try to throw in cheap shots like the examples above. That's pretty childish.

It seems as if you've gotten pretty angry with me because I went after your "opinion" pretty harshly...but I think when you're trying to come out of left field with an "unpopular" view to try to be polarizing, you sort of invite the response I've given you.

Anyway I'm done with this, because it feels as if you've now tried to steer this away from hockey and make it personal with the highlighted points in your post above, and there is really no need to be negative based on the start to this season.

Happy thanksgiving, friend.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Why, when we finally have a team to be proud of are we ripping into each other?!

I might add though, I don't think this team contends next year without any of Carson, Murray or Levin, they are all difference makers in different ways. I know we have a stud goalie right now but you have to be competitive next year in what is IMO Byfields last season, if not second last. Nobody can say we made a mistake with the Murray pick, as he is one of the best players in this age group, so why would we just give up on him? Not every player is Suzuki or Kalieyev. When Blake Murray is on his game (which remember.. he turned on around Christmas last year) he is an effective two way player who can slow the game down to frustrate the other team, OR speed it up to the point where his line is just out running the other team, and there's not many players with that skill. Many stars were slow starters (Mitch Marner being the most notable) who turned it up as the season progressed. I think Murray is seriously lacking confidence after being cut from the Hlinka Team, and you can already see he's starting to return to form. The goal for this season is returning hockey fever to Sudbury, because lots of people lost their love for this team. Next year is the go for it year, we aren't last years greyhounds yet. Lemaire is playing lights out hockey right now, and we can always draft ANY import goalie next year, so I wouldn't worry about next years crease. I still see Murray going 1st/2nd round, and Ross 5-7, but Phillips might make a case for himself as well. Anyone we bring in should be here next season, or we could end up right back in the cellar two years from now.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I still think Murray's game will turn once both Pilon's are back in the lineup. His game last year peaked when he was flanked by them on the wings. The Pilon's really have underrated skill. Especially here where it seems like most think they're 5G 5A goons.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Read my post above! Also its Junior hockey. 4 Years dude is the usually max. If you do something. The Wolves management gave up on Connelly a former first round pick of theirs in his second year. So to say that to a forum fan is humorous. You know how many kids were given up on at 17, 18, 19 over the years. The competition is deep and the longer a player goes without doing anything to make the team better he is gone. Its a business as well so you think they don't want to ice the best team possible. Look at London, Kitchener, Windsor over the years. Heck even the SSM. They dealt Fowler last year to get Sambrook and Raddysh. Does anyone know how this league works anymore in Sudbury?

WJ

Dude! :) The wolves might be in a position to trade away promising 16-17 yr old kids like Murray, Dunkley, McMicheal ... next season. It would be more pre-mature for the wolves to make a run at it now than Kingston last year.

Want bold? Trade Lukkonnen to the 67’s at Christmas before they sell the farm for DiPietro; then, the wolves will have the assets to go all-in next season.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Dude! :) The wolves might be in a position to trade away promising 16-17 yr old kids like Murray, Dunkley, McMicheal ... next season. It would be more pre-mature for the wolves to make a run at it now than Kingston last year.

Want bold? Trade Lukkonnen to the 67’s at Christmas before they sell the farm for DiPietro; then, the wolves will have the assets to go all-in next season.
We can't trade Ukko, I brought up this same deal a little while back lol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well a differing of opinions is what makes a hockey forum. I totally disagree. Carson is a big, strong skilled player that brings a lot to the table. He laid out some bone crunching hits yesterday.

I like Carson too. In response to having to give up to get, I think a 19 yr old LW with trade value is more expendable than 17 yr old LW/C Murray. I just think the wolves have more than enough big LW, that’s all.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Let's give credit where it's due with the coaches

As well as Ukko has played much praise is to be given to the wolves defensive system. Unlike past years there isn't glaring errors where the goalie is left hanging. The play very well in the own end and rarely odd man rushes.
They have been underrated so far for sure. Big improvement.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

That actually would make much more sense than trading Murray.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I notice no coach bashing this year, what gives? :):):):)

This year Stillman is playing Lukkonen and his best players, a lot. Last season, a 16 yr old D was on the PK late-ish in the 2nd game which was a tie game; Sokolov was sitting out PP ...
The wolves got Byfield. I guess that makes the tanking ok. It just wasn’t I was expecting when I purchased season tickets

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This year Stillman is playing Lukkonen and his best players, a lot. Last season, a 16 yr old D was on the PK late-ish in the 2nd game which was a tie game; Sokolov was sitting out PP ...
The wolves got Byfield. I guess that makes the tanking ok. It just wasn’t I was expecting when I purchased season tickets

If you watch the games he has 16 years old D, Thompson often enough on PP, its called development, he has trust in all his players, its all team effort.

He plays the 4th line regularly.

You are exaggerating that Sokolov sat out PP, he was on the first unit 99 per cent of time.

Your buddy BB has his handsfull with Flint, so glad we have Papineau.

Reactions: WolvesFan

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Let's give credit where it's due with the coaches

As well as Ukko has played much praise is to be given to the wolves defensive system. Unlike past years there isn't glaring errors where the goalie is left hanging. The play very well in the own end and rarely odd man rushes.

This is true, and I think someone even mentioned in the Niagara thread that most of their 48 shots were non-threatening shots from out wide. The guys on the backend who were here last year seem to have taken last year's experience and improved off of it, because Ross, Stratis, Serensits, and even Candella all seem to be less mistake prone so far.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This is true, and I think someone even mentioned in the Niagara thread that most of their 48 shots were non-threatening shots from out wide. The guys on the backend who were here last year seem to have taken last year's experience and improved off of it, because Ross, Stratis, Serensits, and even Candella all seem to be less mistake prone so far.
Not going to lie, I may have been Candellas biggest detractor but credit is due, because he does look a lot better this season.

Reactions: WaW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad