Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Throw in a top 6 winger and man we could take a run, but I wouldn't blow all our assets just yet. But man, nice to have a team you can finally be proud to call yourself a fan of. I tell people we're 4-2 (now 5-2) and they immediately respond to say you mean 2-4? And man is it fun to correct them

Also about adding another top 6 winger, I agree that we should add one, however we should play this situation by ear, simply put, if it looks like Byfield, Murray, and company have things under wraps, and producing at a fairly consistent rate, my thought is that we should wait until next year to add a piece like that.

The other school of thought is that we only have UPK for this year, and as the saying goes, a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. We have heard that Malik’s Brother is good, however we have no guarantee that we will actually get him. And if we don’t get him/he can’t adjust to the NA game/any other reason why he wouldn’t pan out, it would be a real shame to loss out on the opportunity of at least making an attempt to go for it this year while we have UPK.

Personally, I would prefer to go for it all next year, I think that would be the best option. However, In Paps We Trust! I think he is definitely on the right track so until he gives me a reason to think otherwise I trust the plan Paps has in mind, and by the look of things, it’s a dang good one at that!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Personally I see the following as expendable:

1. Jake McGrath
  2. Gilhula
  3. 1 second round pick this year
  4. 1 second round pick in 2021
  5. Lipanov picks
  6. 1 third in 2020
  7. 1 third in 2021
  8. Emmet Serentis (love his game, but a D will have to move at some point between now and next years camp)
  9. Drew Wawrow:( (see above but 2x)
  10. Marshall Frappier
  11. Brendan Bowies rights (I think they hold value to the right GM)
  12. Nolan Hutcheson (he holds value, but see Wawrow)
  13. Blake McConville
  14. Levi Siau (see Bowie)
  15. Pilons
  16. Cole Candella
  17. 1 4th rounder this year
  18. Levin

I disagree with #8 only because I think we need Serensits for the rest of the year because he's proven reliable. There is always a market for dmen so if we have a surplus next summer we can work out a deal then. #2 just has zero value IMO. Otherwise this is a pretty good list!

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I disagree with #8 only because I think we need Serensits for the rest of the year because he's proven reliable. There is always a market for dmen so if we have a surplus next summer we can work out a deal then. #2 just has zero value IMO. Otherwise this is a pretty good list!
Fair, Serentis is a player I've struggled with. I don't know if I see him here next year or not, but he could be our only physical presence. But I see at least Beattie on this roster next year as he's looked amazing so far this year. I think we could get a conditional 15th for gilhula.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Question, does the conditional third to Barrie still apply for Sokolov deal since Lipanov is not playing in Sudbury? Would that 3rd then be Kitchener's?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Question, does the conditional third to Barrie still apply for Sokolov deal since Lipanov is not playing in Sudbury? Would that 3rd then be Kitchener's?
I do believe that is the case, in essence Sudbury gets one 3rd for Lipanov.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Ben Leeson had tweeted this regarding that deal...not sure if it applies to your question, Billoink.

"One of those third-rounders doesn't go to Barrie, but rather replaces a conditional pick sent to Barrie in the Sokolov trade."

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’d say after last night we have solidified our 4th line, so now we just need to arrange Robinson, Murray, Niz, Bulitka, Pilon and Pilon in the most beneficial way possible.

Can you imagine this lineup with Dmitry Sokolov. Would have been dominating up front. Too bad he torched the league last year.

Ukko is also undefeated.. any guesses as too how much longer that lasts?

Also worth noting; it's only 7 games into the season, but the Wolves are the best team in the OHL!
5-2-0 10pts and 1st overall in the league! :thumbu::cool:

We’ve also played the most games. I’d be super happy if the wolves took 4 of every 6 points all year.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Ben Leeson had tweeted this regarding that deal...not sure if it applies to your question, Billoink.

"One of those third-rounders doesn't go to Barrie, but rather replaces a conditional pick sent to Barrie in the Sokolov trade."
You could also look at it as we got one third round pick for Sokolov, really at the end of the day the deal was Sokolov + third for Lipanov + 2 thirds. It’s all about perception for what we got IMO.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Guess you guys were right, Stillman wants the wins and is obviously going to ride Ukko. Kind of a boring game but hey a win is a win. Really like the contributions from Hutcheson and Tabak. Good teams need depth. Love to make it 3 for three on the road with a big win tomorrow. Nice four game home stand coming up.

Reactions: cub and hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’d be happy if we could stay top 2 in the division. Can someone remind me of how the playoff format works? I’ve forgotten.
There are five teams per division and ten teams per conference. The top eight teams qualify for the playoffs and the format is 1-8 2-7 3-6 4-5 with the top four teams getting home ice. However it’s not all points that matter. Winning your division will seed you higher than say a team who was second in their division with more points.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It’s great to have a good start but I’d be really surprised if Niagara doesn’t win the Central, if not the conference. Things are a little more difficult after that. Judging on what I’ve seen we ‘should’ finish ahead of North Bay and Mississauga (though they still have top end talent and have surprised early). If I had to guess I’d pick Barrie for second.
In many years of watching junior it isn’t uncommon for teams that initially compete successfully to fall off the radar as the teams gel, guys return and or moves are made. In essence the cream rises to the top. Have to see how it plays out.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Although early in this game, I dont have a good feeling on the outcome.

Update: as I say that it's now 2-0.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Perhaps I need to have a bad feeling ALL the time when they play!!

Yipee!!! :devdance::devdance::devdance:
Man I know, a thousand times bitten, a million times shy. We’ve all seen them lose close ones consistently. I must say I’ve watched Darian Pilon a little closer especially since he’s without his brother. He does bring a lot to the team alright.
Number one banana man! When on earth is the last time the Wolves went 3 for 3 on the road? What a difference goaltending makes as Ukko is a beast and difference maker. Without him we’re lucky to win the game against the Otters., completely forget the other two. Let’s be rocking Friday at the barn. GO WOLVES!

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The MVP of the OHL to date has to be Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. Pretty impressive to come to a new country and settle in so quickly. If he continues to play at this level the Wolves will be dangerous.

If you can't beat him high, your going to have a long night.

Reactions: cub

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Hell of a weekend, hell of a start to the season.

Even if we are in reality just a middle of pack team this year, I think we've shown that we're going to be in most games this year and are no longer a walkover for the true contenders.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad