Post-Game Talk: Stupid shootouts! Jets battle to earn a point in Beantown 2-1 SO Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Opinions are like *******s......everyone has one! Ya I watched the game little Enstrom is over rated!

You got your opinion and I got mine; we both watched the game but the evidence and results seems to match with mine...

30th highest even strength scoring rate in the NHL (with 30+ games played)
29th highest power play scoring rate in the NHL (with 30+ games played and 1.5 mins/gp of PP time)
out-chances his opposition by 11.13/20 mins, 9th highest in NHL for those who play unsheltered match-ups (with 30+ GP) (incase people are wondering top10 order goes Chara, Lidstrom, Boychuck, White, Martin, Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Enstrom, Letang)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Finishing up the GDT for the Caps game tomorrow. For anyone that's concerned about our depth up front, I found this in my old GDT files as a forward roster mid-Feb of last year:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Fehr - Antro - Wellwood
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen - Burmi - Gagnon

Yeesh. Compare:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Poni - Burmi - Antro
Thorburn - Slater - Scheifele

As soon as they work the rust out and start to click, I think we'll be fine up front for scoring. Remember: that rag-tag group without Jokinen and Poni last year finished 12th in scoring. The big issue for me right now is getting Bogo back. [/B]

Thanks YGinYYZ your post is great and reminds me how far we have come!

That was a really big step forward today and we picked up a point in Boston which is a tough team and a tough building and we did it while our O is slumping.

LLW have started out slow but will be fine.....our offense has started out slow but they will get rolling. I said it during the WJC when everyone was getting ready to jump over our bad PP.......PP's look bad until the moment they don't and then they look good. I am sure when the year is done we will be as good if not better than last year.

I liked what I saw today especially with Kane in all aspects of his game except the PP.....that line looked better today and they are going to break out.

Burmi is starting to look more sure of himself and he fits great on the USSR line. His points will come but for now he is part of a real 3rd line that looks good.

Schief looks good and he will get his shot. People keep forgetting about injuries. after watching him I don't think he should get sent down. I believe we will need him and he could play on any of the 4 lines if needed IMHO

Postma has ALONG way to go but he was better today and that shot is a weapon that we can use. he needs Huddy to work his magic....his D positioning and compete levels in our zone need to amp up but he showed signs of what he does bring today.

the Haines and Stuie were much better.

Nice to catch a few breaks as well.

Allot to be happy about today.

Oh and yea the D minutes or insane and we need Bogosian back now.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazaaa*

Also, hasn't really been mentioned, but Boston's goal could have easily been avoided. Buff got back, but did nothing but watch Seguin when he should have been looking for a man to take. He wasn't involveed in the play at all. He was in position, but just sat there instead of looking for a body to take. He could have easily tied up Marchand.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
I dont think you can unless there is an injury

Which is unfortunate :laugh:

Unless the rules have been changed, you can. Bob Hartley once pulled Moose Hedberg after OT and put in Kari Lehtonen (who was something of a master shootout stopper at the time). Unfortunately, ice-cold Kari wasn't up to the task and Moose, who had played a good game, was probably not very happy. That Hartley could really **** with a goalie's head.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
For anyone that's concerned about our depth up front, I found this in my old GDT files as a forward roster mid-Feb of last year:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Fehr - Antro - Wellwood

Wow, that's some line-up. That's actually a bit depressing.

Edit:
Ok, a LOT depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazaaa*

Edit:
Ok, a LOT depressing.

I would say it's exciting. Exciting to see our lineups now compared to that, and how close we came to the playoffs last year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Edit:
Ok, a LOT depressing.

I would say it's exciting. Exciting to see our lineups now compared to that, and how close we came to the playoffs last year.

Funny, eh? I had to post it - it's very interesting digging into the line-ups from games I did GDT's for last year - the rosters were absolutely pitiful at some points. It does show how far this team has come - if they can put it together, they SHOULD exceed what they did last year.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Finishing up the GDT for the Caps game tomorrow. For anyone that's concerned about our depth up front, I found this in my old GDT files as a forward roster mid-Feb of last year:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Fehr - Antro - Wellwood

Nice to see improvement even if it's not comparing against the best lineup we iced last year. (ie no Kane and Gagnon played hardly any games for us.)
Hopefully we don't get many injuries and have an equally sad lineup further into the season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Funny thing about Enström this game. Except for coughing up the puck a couple of times, he was excellent defensively. He stopped so many chances even Edwards commented on it.

Also, for you saying that he was a liability... Explain how a pairing of Buff and Enström played 30 minutes against a top team in the league, while being awful defensively, and still didn't cause a goal?:laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just watching the game over again and Ladd Litttle Wheeler really picked it up in the third period. they can build on this.

wheelers flash in the shoot out was sic

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Funny thing about Enström this game. Except for coughing up the puck a couple of times, he was excellent defensively. He stopped so many chances even Edwards commented on it.

Also, for you saying that he was a liability... Explain how a pairing of Buff and Enström played 30 minutes against a top team in the league, while being awful defensively, and still didn't cause a goal?:laugh:

Yea Toby was great

Sure there was a couple of turn overs late but they played almost 30 minutes against the bruins and you aren't going to pitch a shut out.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Introducing Bobby Jet
Bobby-Jet-300x140.jpg

We had a buddy at the game and apparently some Jets fans were having some fun.

In case you missed any of the headlines, video or 3 stars;
Jets on a Deadline.

bazaaa*

Isn't that a contradiction?
So give up say five 2 on 1s, but Pavlec comes up big. Who cares because they didn't score? That's a great mindset. Boston had twice as many chances as we did.

If Boston would have put in two goals on those turnovers, all the sudden Enstrom had a terrible game. Funny.

2:05
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,20&navid=sb:highlights

Another terrible defenisve play.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Isn't that a contradiction?
So give up say five 2 on 1s, but Pavlec comes up big. Who cares because they didn't score? That's a great mindset. Boston had twice as many chances as we did.

If Boston would have put in two goals on those turnovers, all the sudden Enstrom had a terrible game. Funny.

2:05
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,20&navid=sb:highlights

Another terrible defenisve play.

Yeah, thing is, he singlehandedly stopped the Bruins from having atleast another 10 quality scoring chances. By making plays another D-man wouldn't do.

And no, not really. Lost coverage on their C, who just skated away from Antropov when Enström had already commited (and later stopped) to the guy with the puck. That is a terrible defensive play, but not by Toby.

Edit: You are of course free to think what you want about Toby's defensive play, but most people, and the stats, agree that he's on of the best players in the league at stopping the other team from having chances, and that is while playing with a rover in Byfuglien.

bazaaa*

Yeah, thing is, he singlehandedly stopped the Bruins from having atleast another 10 quality scoring chances. By making plays another D-man wouldn't do.

Okay, that can be argued, and I admit, I notice the bad more than I notice the good.

And no, not really. Lost coverage on their C, who just skated away from Antropov when Enström had already commited (and later stopped) to the guy with the puck. That is a terrible defensive play, but not by Toby.

I see it as a 3 on 2, and Enstrom committs to one guy at the blueline, when another player is clearly wide open. He should have stayed back, there was no reason to committ right there. I don't know how you're saying he already committed, it was a 3 on 2, no reason to have committed in the first place.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Okay, that can be argued, and I admit, I notice the bad more than I notice the good.

I see it as a 3 on 2, and Enstrom committs to one guy at the blueline, when another player is clearly wide open. He should have stayed back, there was no reason to committ right there. I don't know how you're saying he already committed, it was a 3 on 2, no reason to have committed in the first place.
When he commits to the puck carrier, Bergeron and Antro is almost side by side, then Bergeron skates away from Antro. In fact, of the four players involved, I'd argue that the Dmen are the least responsible for that chance.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hey guys I did a breakdown looking at the underlying numbers of the game...
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1324453&page=2

quick summary:
*Noel actually changed his strategy to beat Bos (even I was surprised)
*4th line did a great job (I think we knew this)
*Postma/Clitsome were less of a trainwreck and Enstrom/Buff were less superstars because of what Noel did
*Noel gave Burmi and Scheif a lot more offensive minutes than last game
*BUFF NEEDS ENSTROM!!!
... etc

bazaaa*

When he commits to the puck carrier, Bergeron and Antro is almost side by side, then Bergeron skates away from Antro. In fact, of the four players involved, I'd argue that the Dmen are the least responsible for that chance.

Not even close to being side by side. ANd just because your forward is beside a guy at the far end blueline, you don't assume your forward is going to stay with him and tie him up. Mind boggling how you could say Enstrom wasn't at fault here, and that they were side by side.

Attachments

• game.jpg
    game.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Not even close to being side by side. ANd just because your forward is beside a guy at the far end blueline, you don't assume your forward is going to stay with him and tie him up. Mind boggling how you could say Enstrom wasn't at fault here, and that they were side by side.

Great, now take a screen shot of when toby is commiting instead of when he is already commited and check if my comment is as mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad