Speculation: Streit

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Ok, that's a very fair counter. My only concern was his durability/health since he was 35 and I was unaware that his minutes were cut back and he had some knee issues. If he could stay healthy I still think he could be a decent option for 1 or 2 seasons. Especially considering the fact Markov just had a very good season and is 34 and was coming back from knee issues.

Oh I agree 100%, I think Streit running our PP would be a lot better then Kronwall, I think those two together would be something like the Garrison-Campbell PP pairing Florida had. Kronwall's a much better trigger man than he is QB & that's where Streit would come into play.

I think he could still put up 40-50 points on a team, especially one like the Wings we're he would be the PPQB. It's just a matter of him wanting to take a reduced role for him to come here, also maybe not get the term he wants.

Whatever we do on July 5th the first priority should be re-signing our RFAs, then we can focus on getting some UFAs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good veteran player, not thrilled about the price, but depending on what they plan on doing to make room for him, I could get behind it. Would basically mean shipping Cola and Quincey so I doubt they are really going to consider this.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're on the same page.

I'd rather attempt to solve the offense problem from within by giving Tatar and Nyquist more time. The defense and powerplay issues could significantly helped by another steady guy who can eat over 20 minutes and contribute offensively.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Kindl or Smith being big answers from the point, which influences my opinion on signing a veteran to take those duties.

And having a guy back there who is a legit threat to push the puck up the ice can go a long way towards helping our offense. All year we griped about how our D would just bang it off the boards, off the glass, and out. It got better in the playoffs, but we never really played "Red Wings hockey" as we've come to know it over the past twenty years.

Our transition game was a disaster for the majority of this past season.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

And I remember all year is our board complaining in GDT's about getting shots through to the net on the PP, and how bad the PP is in general (although it got a little better towards the end).

Streit helps cure these ailments. And can maybe share knowledge about running a PP with Kronwall, DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Sproul, etc.

I think the run at the end is allowing us to forget just how anemic our blueline was this year. It couldn't move the puck, and it went a long way towards forcing us to play a very conservative game. If we can get our D to move the puck up the ice more efficiently, we can begin spending less time in our zone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And having a guy back there who is a legit threat to push the puck up the ice can go a long way towards helping our offense. All year we griped about how our D would just bang it off the boards, off the glass, and out. It got better in the playoffs, but we never really played "Red Wings hockey" as we've come to know it over the past twenty years.

Our transition game was a disaster for the majority of this past season.

Very good point. Streit is a great passer and would bring back those stretch-passes we have been missing that Lidstrom and Raffy made look so easy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
absolutely not.

who in their right educated hockey minds actually believes the 2013 DRW are a Mark Streit away from winning the Stanley Cup in 2014?

If the answer is nobody thinks that then why sign an aging 35 year old player thereby taking away money from any potential forward upgrades, restricting playing and thus development time from our youth and moreover, elliminating a top 4 blueline roster spot throughout his contract that could have otherwise gone to a dman who will be here when we win again and who we actually need to do so?

if he were 26 then yah ok makes sense

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
absolutely not.

who in their right educated hockey minds actually believes the 2013 DRW are a Mark Streit away from winning the Stanley Cup in 2014?

If the answer is nobody thinks that then why sign an aging 35 year old player thereby taking away money from any potential forward upgrades, restricting playing and thus development time from our youth and moreover, elliminating a top 4 blueline roster spot throughout his contract that could have otherwise gone to a dman who will be here when we win again and who we actually need to do so?

We should only sign free agents who make us locks to win the Stanley Cup? Guess we should wait for Crosby or Weber to hit free agency then. :help:

Sorry but that's some flawed logic.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We should only sign free agents who make us locks to win the Stanley Cup? Guess we should wait for Crosby or Weber to hit free agency then. :help:

absolutely yes

thats our goal. to win the cup again but it isnt next season unless by fluke and thats ok or at least it should be

let the young guys develop so we can win again soon but and more importantly to be able to keep being in contention to win for years after that

if he were 26 and would be part of our young core then thats a hole differnet story

i wouldnt sign jagr at the expense of tatar or nyquist

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
absolutely not.

It isn't about being a Streit away, I was looking at it more as

-bolster transition/ break out + power play
-trade young assets on blue line (we have many, choose one to include in a trade) for maybe an equivalent F (ideally a C) prospect or young NHLer.

something along those lines.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Kronwall - Ericsson
-A slight drop
-The rest.

DeKeyser might play his way up to be a close 3rd, but as of right now, there's a gap and the other 4 defensemen are question marks on most nights. You don't know what you're going to get. Streit could be dependable. Not to mention, most team's power plays go through struggling patches... Detroit's looks flat out abysmal when they're not scoring. Streit would take out the possibility of a forward manning the point... At least I would hope. For the right price, I would certainly look into it, but I would target a Horton/Clarkson first, and go from there.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Sorry but that's some flawed logic.

teams sign guys like streit who are young and loaded and ready to win now(hawks, kings, bruins, etc)

we arent that team again yet

be patient

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
absolutely yes

thats our goal. to win the cup again but it isnt next season unless by fluke and thats ok or at least it should be

let the young guys develop so we can win again soon but and more importantly to be able to keep being in contention to win for years after that

if he were 26 and would be part of our young core then thats a hole differnet story

i wouldnt sign jagr at the expense of tatar or nyquist

At forward we have those young guys ready to go.

Defensively our guys in the wings are Lashoff and Almvist. Not really guys that are chomping at the bit. Ouellet, Sproul, and Backman/Marchenko are still a few years away.

Streit for a 1 or 2 year deal could be a great signing, IMO. 3-4 years and I wouldn't touch it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
At forward we have those young guys ready to go.

Defensively our guys in the wings are Lashoff and Almvist. Not really guys that are chomping at the bit. Ouellet, Sproul, and Backman/Marchenko are still a few years away.

Streit for a 1 or 2 year deal could be a great signing, IMO. 3-4 years and I wouldn't touch it.

does he push out smith, kindl or dekeyser?

does anyone think we will buy out cc or kq to make it happen?

if he signs for 2 years(minimum a 35 year old would sign for) who sits then? who gets no callups?

we're trying to bring in and move along essentailly 2(3) rookie dmen next season(so half our d-coprs) to me thats a good amount of NHL ready young talent, whereas ourt young forward corps is who exactly? helm? abdelakder? nyquist, brunner and andersson arent a young forward core when they have played a combined 95 nhl games so to me thats where we need to most help

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
teams sign guys like streit who are young and loaded and ready to win now(hawks, kings, bruins, etc)

we arent that team again yet

be patient

What we are is a team that is thin at defense, and could use an upgrade in our top 4 and on the PP. I think Streit could help us in that regard. Just my opinion. Would depend on if he is firm on the length of his deal or not. Would not give him what he's asking, but I'm assuming most teams won't and he's going to have to come down a bit on term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
does he push out smith, kindl or dekeyser?

does anyone think we will buy out cc or kq to make it happen?

if he signs for 2 years(minimum a 35 year old would sign for) who sits then? who gets no callups?

I would trade some of the guys that are mediocre and expendable, I'd trade 2/3 out of Kindl, CC, KQ if we picked up Streit.

Very doubtful, but it's fun to talk about.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What we are is a team that is thin at defense, and could use an upgrade in our top 4 and on the PP. I think Streit could help us in that regard. Just my opinion. Would depend on if he is firm on the length of his deal or not. Would not give him what he's asking, but I'm assuming most teams won't and he's going to have to come down a bit on term.

i thoughts kenny and babs said it was our lack of depth at forward that needs the most addressing?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
i thoughts kenny and babs said it was our lack of depth at forward that needs the most addressing?

We struggled this season and lost in the playoffs because we couldn't score goals. Offense is priority #1 and # 2. The D will get better. And the PP should improve on the blue line next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe they do feel that is our biggest need. In my opinion we would greatly benefit by getting a guy who can play big minutes at ES and handle the tough match-ups.

Guess it depends on how free agency shakes out, and what we decide to do internally.

If we strike out on guys like Horton, Clowe or other potential forward upgrades, maybe they turn and start to look at options for improving the D.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
We struggled this season and lost in the playoffs because we couldn't score goals. Offense is priority #1 and # 2. The D will get better. And the PP should improve on the blue line next year.

I think what we missed most was offence from Defence. Missing Lidstrom and Stuart on the point especially on the PP is a big reason why we scored less goals this year. Even when they didn't score themselves they were better at getting pucks on net to create rebounds or tip ins.

Not that I'm overly impressed with the idea of acquiring Streit at the salary he's rumored to want.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think what we missed most was offence from Defence. Missing Lidstrom and Stuart on the point especially on the PP is a big reason why we scored less goals this year. Even when they didn't score themselves they were better at getting pucks on net to create rebounds or tip ins.

Not that I'm overly impressed with the idea of acquiring Streit at the salary he's rumored to want.

I understand what you're saying. Do you have any idea where the Wings ranked this year with goals/pts from the defense? Losing St. Nick and Raffy off the PP the last couple years has definitely hurt the PP. Still love offensive potential of Kindl, Smith and even DD. The Wings need to evolve and just can't rely on the D to score so much. Change up strategy. I hated the Wings PP this year. No St. Nick or Homer screening. Just Kronwall shooting wide. Can't rely on that.

If the Wings were to add a D-man. I'd like someone like a Matt Greene type to fit that Stuart shut down physical role.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Kronwall - Ericsson
-A slight drop
-The rest.

DeKeyser might play his way up to be a close 3rd, but as of right now, there's a gap and the other 4 defensemen are question marks on most nights. You don't know what you're going to get. Streit could be dependable. Not to mention, most team's power plays go through struggling patches... Detroit's looks flat out abysmal when they're not scoring. Streit would take out the possibility of a forward manning the point... At least I would hope. For the right price, I would certainly look into it, but I would target a Horton/Clarkson first, and go from there.

There might be a drop after Kronwall and Ericsson, but we should also acknowledge that Kindl has improved a lot and DeKeyser shows plenty of promise. I would like to see what these guys can do with a full season. Kindl was showing a lot of promise as a PP QB. I also like to see what Smith can do with a full season, the talent is there, but he was making a lot of rookie mistakes.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I understand what you're saying. Do you have any idea where the Wings ranked this year with goals/pts from the defense? Losing St. Nick and Raffy off the PP the last couple years has definitely hurt the PP. Still love offensive potential of Kindl, Smith and even DD. The Wings need to evolve and just can't rely on the D to score so much. Change up strategy. I hated the Wings PP this year. No St. Nick or Homer screening. Just Kronwall shooting wide. Can't rely on that.

If the Wings were to add a D-man. I'd like someone like a Matt Greene type to fit that Stuart shut down physical role.

Here are the teams ranked by Pts and by Goals from Defence. The Wings are ranked 23rd and 24th.

Pts Rank | Team | Points | Goals Rank | Team | Goals
1​
| Montreal | 124 |
1​
| Montreal | 29
2​
| Toronto | 108 |
2​
| Vancouver | 28
3​
| Winnipeg | 104 |
T2​
| Winnipeg | 28
4​
| Ottawa | 103 |
4​
| Ottawa | 27
T4​
| Pittsburgh | 103 |
T4​
| Washington | 27
6​
| Chicago | 100 |
6​
| San Jose | 26
7​
| Phoenix | 91 |
7​
| Boston | 23
T7​
| Washington | 91 |
T7​
| Chicago | 23
9​
| Los Angeles | 90 |
9​
| Los Angeles | 22
10​
| Tampa Bay | 89 |
10​
| Phoenix | 21
11​
| St. Louis | 87 |
11​
| Calgary | 20
12​
| Minnesota | 86 |
T11​
| Edmonton | 20
T12​
| Vancouver | 86 |
T11​
| Nashville | 20
14​
| Anaheim | 84 |
T11​
| Pittsburgh | 20
15​
| Calgary | 82 |
T11​
| Tampa Bay | 20
T15​
| Columbus | 82 |
16​
| Columbus | 19
17​
| Nashville | 81 |
T16​
| New York I | 19
T17​
| New York R | 81 |
T16​
| Toronto | 19
19​
| Boston | 80 |
19​
| Anaheim | 18
T19​
| Carolina | 80 |
T19​
| Buffalo | 18
T19​
| San Jose | 80 |
T19​
| Carolina | 18
22​
| Dallas | 79 |
T19​
| St. Louis | 18
23​
| Detroit | 77 |
23​
| Philadelphia | 17
T23​
| New York I | 77 |
24​
| Detroit | 16
25​
| Philadelphia | 76 |
T24​
| New York R | 16
26​
| Edmonton | 75 |
26​
| Florida | 15
T26​
| Florida | 75 |
T26​
| Minnesota | 15
28​
| Buffalo | 73 |
28​
| Dallas | 14
29​
| New Jersey | 63 |
29​
| New Jersey | 13
30​
| Colorado | 54 |
30​
| Colorado | 5

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
That's exactly what this team needs.

Indeed, but Streit would not be the answer

Haha. He hasn't been a 3rd pairing defensemen his entire career.

His first 2 seasons on the Islanders he played #1 minutes, put up 56 and 49 pts, and had the best plus/minus over that span.

If he wasn't so old it would be a no-brainer and I would be all for it.

Still think there's a decent shot that he could be a better version of Kronwall than Kronwall, and we could slide Kronner to the 2nd pairing for even strength.

Hard to gauge his last 2 years since the Islanders have just been god-awful over that span, but if you look at the 2 years prior to that the dude was impressive.

Of course, in Streit's prime he was a top pairing guy, but the fact remains; at this point, he's a 3rd pairing guy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Here are the teams ranked by Pts and by Goals from Defence. The Wings are ranked 23rd and 24th.

Thanks for the list. And to imagine, the Wings used to be a top producer from the blueline. Now... well, things have changed.

Defensively I don't mind the kids. They do ok keeping goals out for the most part due to the team emphasis. But the offense has stagnated and that could use a shot in the arm. I hope they sign somebody who can sling that puck.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for the list. And to imagine, the Wings used to be a top producer from the blueline. Now... well, things have changed.

Defensively I don't mind the kids. They do ok keeping goals out for the most part due to the team emphasis. But the offense has stagnated and that could use a shot in the arm. I hope they sign somebody who can sling that puck.

IIRC they were near the top even as recently as last year

unless i'm mixing up the years or something I remember seeing graphics during games last season showing the Wings on top/near the top in goals by defensemen and such

pretty drastic fall off

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Worth pointing out Streit had lost some of his more major PP minutes this last season and is declining in that aspect of his game. Part of the reason Lubo was went out and got by the Isles to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad