Street Fighter 6

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
OMG, the Ryu Combo Trials-Beginner 4 was driving me nuts! Then I finally realize watching the replay with the input history that you need to just put in the rest of the Hadoken input since the down motion was already being done by the medium crouch kick!

Capcom Pro Tour here I come! :scared:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
OMG, the Ryu Combo Trials-Beginner 4 was driving me nuts! Then I finally realize watching the replay with the input history that you need to just put in the rest of the Hadoken input since the down motion was already being done by the medium crouch kick!

Capcom Pro Tour here I come! :scared:
yup, thats how you cancel out supers as well. Take Ryu's Shin Shoryuken for instance. the Supper is

QCF,QCF+k

Ryu's Donkey kick is

QCF+k

Makes sense that ppl would think you would need to do the motion 3 times in order for it to come out, but NOPE, you don't have to. You only need to do it twice.
So the input looks like this...

QCF+k,QCF+k

The game remembers the first QCF and counts that towards the super. In the combo trial, the game remembered the down input so all you needed to do was finish the Hadoken motion.

This applies to a ton of cancelable moves from every character.

Reactions: Seedtype

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
JP is more of a zoner character so probably not the best place to start

Good characters to start with:

Ryu - basically Mr. Fundamental/jack of all trades. Kit is based entirely on reading your opponent and controlling neutral. Will teach you stuff like move range, punishes, etc. Bonus if you have any carryover knowledge for playing him in Smash.

Honda: a bit tougher on execution but his gameplan is relatively simple to understand. Currently menacing the online community because his headbutt appears to be stupidly safe.

Lily: easy difficulty character

Marisa: the absolute epitome of unga bunga play. Not a ton of sauce but she hits like an absolute freight train and her kit is incredibly easy to grasp. Simple 4-5 combo type stuff that takes a dent out of your opponents health bar.

I would also say Guile too but I'm not sure. He's a charge character which means a bit different execution but his basic gameplan is "hurl as much shit as you can at the enemy and then flash kick them when they get close" which is super easy to understand
I thought Ryu/Ken were sort of interchangable. I'm a novice too and haven't really played much fighting games since MK1/2 and Street Fighter 2. Enjoying 6 so far, mostly playing arcade on Normal with Ryu, have managed to beat both, so might try to move up soon. Tried with Ken earlier and was getting killed. Any particular reason Ken didn't make your list?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought Ryu/Ken were sort of interchangable. I'm a novice too and haven't really played much fighting games since MK1/2 and Street Fighter 2. Enjoying 6 so far, mostly playing arcade on Normal with Ryu, have managed to beat both, so might try to move up soon. Tried with Ken earlier and was getting killed. Any particular reason Ken didn't make your list?
Ken is basically flashier Ryu. Takes a little bit more execution and aggression to fully utilize where Ryu is mostly a wait and react type character.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Been learning Manon. Shes really fun so far. The only thing is I don't know what to do what backed into the corner with her lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think I like Lily because she has some aerial approaches in her specials. Coming from Smash I jump WAY too much in this game overall, its such a big commitment in SF. But she makes me feel a bit at home with a buff option, command grab, more movement options.

I'm really having fun with the World Tour. Capcom could've gotten away with a lot less content here, you can feel the love they put into the game. They've been killing it lately.

Have you tried Luke? He seems to be the shoto for the new generation and he's really strong in this game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think I like Lily because she has some aerial approaches in her specials. Coming from Smash I jump WAY too much in this game overall, its such a big commitment in SF. But she makes me feel a bit at home with a buff option, command grab, more movement options.

I'm really having fun with the World Tour. Capcom could've gotten away with a lot less content here, you can feel the love they put into the game. They've been killing it lately.

Have you tried Luke? He seems to be the shoto for the new generation and he's really strong in this game.
Haven't tried out Luke outside the tutorial. Might be the next guy I try to beat Arcade with. I did Ryu, and have done Ken who I feel is the character I'm starting to figure out. Just getting a handle on the fundamentals of the game, then figuring out how to incorporate some of the more interesting stuff in (like Super Arts). I'm playing with classic controls, I found the "modern ones" too babying.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Battlepass was released. Its so bad lol. was hoping for at least some character costumes. It's just a bunch of random stuff that nobody cares about lol

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Messing around and I've decided I'm really liking Luke. One thing I like about his moves is the following up of OD moves, really satisfying OD sandblasting someone's face to finish a round.

BTW, how many Modern control users are you guys encountering? So far I feel like it's around a third of all matches that I have faced.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think modern controls is here to stay. I messed around with it and damn is it useful for a lot of characters. For some, you prob shouldn't bother like most charge characters. For Ryu as an example, I can bust out a hadouken or shoryuken at will using classic controls, but when it comes to big combos ending with super, im just not there. Modern just helps with that. Mix that in with you don't HAVE to use the modern controls for special moves (you don't get the damage nerf if you do it the classic way) and you got yourself a really good system for some. I don't know if i'm going to keep playing modern, but damn if it isn't tempting.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Modern definitely works better for some characters than others. I think its crazy good for Lily and Zangief. Lily loses nothing vital with her move reduction. One button supers with Gief is absolutely busted.

Juri, Manon and Cammy also pretty solid with modern. Shotos are okay enough I guess.

Most of the other characters have big holes in their movesets with modern that force them to play a lot differently than you'd see with classic.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I think modern controls is here to stay. I messed around with it and damn is it useful for a lot of characters. For some, you prob shouldn't bother like most charge characters. For Ryu as an example, I can bust out a hadouken or shoryuken at will using classic controls, but when it comes to big combos ending with super, im just not there. Modern just helps with that. Mix that in with you don't HAVE to use the modern controls for special moves (you don't get the damage nerf if you do it the classic way) and you got yourself a really good system for some. I don't know if i'm going to keep playing modern, but damn if it isn't tempting.

I think it's fine to use Modern if that's a thing someone enjoy but it's not for me at all. Part of the fun for me with Street Fighter games (i don't really play any other title) is that you don't only play against another player, you also play against yourself. I got placed in Plat with Zangief after my placement matches and it's been an uphill battle to stay aflot.

Probably gonna pick up another character later, Dee Jay or Juri since i don't care for shotos (outside of Dan).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Things resembling "Modern" controls have been around for a while. The last few Blazblue and Guilty Gear versions have had "Stylish" control schemes that are more or less the same thing. Granblue Versus lets you do 1 button special moves at the cost of lower damage and putting a cooldown on the move for a second or two.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Dee Jay has been pretty fun so far. Got placed in Silver 2 and i'm now in Gold 4 after ~8 hours of play with a 65% win ratio. I rarley see Modern players after i got to gold except for a few Lukes.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Took like 6 months and a couple breaks to de-tilt but i finally made it to Diamond 1 with Ryu.

Only character that seemed to click for me. not for lack of trying either.

Tried Manon and thought she was absolute buns, tried Honda and immediately developed a hatred for charge characters. Got my ken to plat 4 but he might be the hardest character to play rn because of the sheer amount of matchup data everyone accumulated from facing him all the time. the two DLC characters were too damn weird.

Hoping Ed is at least somewhat fun.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bit the bullet and bought Luke's 3rd costume. Can't let an homage to Adon go unappreciated.

Plus, I think the classic MMA/Muai-Tai look actually dials back the douchiness a tad. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad