Post-Game Talk: Streak busted! Jets win 3-2

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The
If you look at the whole season from the start, the Jets have played 63 Best-of-7 series so far - e.g. Games 1-7 the Jets won 4-3, Games 2-8 the Jets won 4-2 (the last game of the series doesn't matter because the Jets already had 4 wins in the first 6 games), Games 3-9 the Jets won 4-1 (the last 2 games don't matter in this series for same reason as above), etc.

The team's overall record in these series is 52-11.
19 series took 7 games to decide (13-6), 26 went to 6 games (23-3), 16 went to 5 games (14-2) and there were only 2 sweeps (2-0).
If you want a real telling stat ... the Jets are 7-0 playing the same team within a week.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I only got to see the end of the second and the third. We sucked. The skaters didn't deserve 2 points, but Helle did. We goalied them. Stats from naturalstattrick.com
If a team in 60 minutes is NEVER leading in the game why do you think they deserve to win?
The Jets were missing how many players and playing against 2 teams the refs and the Devils and yet they were never behind in the game ... yup that sure sounds like they don't deserve the 2 points.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
i am losing all my v-cash betting against the jets

there was a time when this strategy netted me lots and lots of v-cash lol

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I feel like these last 2 games deserve the bringing back of

SCREW the Corsi WIN the Scorsi.

Not worries about a couple blips on the radar. Just like the start of the season I think we have seen a team that allowed it's scoring talent to take the lead in games and then hold on for the 2 points.

We know this is a good team

We know they can play and dominate more often than not

We know we are missing some key pieces.

Take the 2 points and run.

I second the motion! Here Here!

Screw the Corsi, Win the Scorsi!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If a team in 60 minutes is NEVER leading in the game why do you think they deserve to win?
The Jets were missing how many players and playing against 2 teams the refs and the Devils and yet they were never behind in the game ... yup that sure sounds like they don't deserve the 2 points.

See, here's the thing: even if we argue that the Devils played well enough to win more often than not (which sounds plausible given the advanced stats of the game) given all the circumstances, that doesn't mean that the Jets didn't deserve to get lucky because they gave themselves a slightly-less than 50% chance of winning. The 55-45 favorite isn't suddenly knighted or divinely ordained to "deserve" to win.

We've lost games we've deserved to win, we've won games we've deserved to lose. At the end of the day, we've given ourselves more favorites than underdogs, and the dice fall where they may.

Hellebuyck is a player on our hockey team. Just as Laine had a superlative personal effort last game to power the Jets, Hellebuyck is allowed to have a superlative personal effort this game to power the Jets.

I agree with the assessment that, given what went down, the Devils would win the majority of times with those extra chances. Doesn't mean that they deserve a 100% chance to win. "The good guys" are allowed to get lucky on occasion too.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
See, here's the thing: even if we argue that the Devils played well enough to win more often than not (which sounds plausible given the advanced stats of the game) given all the circumstances, that doesn't mean that the Jets didn't deserve to get lucky because they gave themselves a slightly-less than 50% chance of winning. The 55-45 favorite isn't suddenly knighted or divinely ordained to "deserve" to win.

We've lost games we've deserved to win, we've won games we've deserved to lose. At the end of the day, we've given ourselves more favorites than underdogs, and the dice fall where they may.

Hellebuyck is a player on our hockey team. Just as Laine had a superlative personal effort last game to power the Jets, Hellebuyck is allowed to have a superlative personal effort this game to power the Jets.

I agree with the assessment that, given what went down, the Devils would win the majority of times with those extra chances. Doesn't mean that they deserve a 100% chance to win. "The good guys" are allowed to get lucky on occasion too.
A great goalie should individually win you 10 games a year. Helly has won us close to 10 already.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I second the motion! Here Here!

Screw the Corsi, Win the Scorsi!

Screw the Corsi and Scorsi. Win the GF%...

Okay, win the score adjusted xGoals (not sure that even did exist) OR be at least reasonably close in xGoals AND use cheatcode "L A I N E" (hold the shift key). Cheatcode "F E F E" is not bad against xGoals too.

Relationship with raw Corsi and real goals is quite low statistically.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you check the adjCorsi gameflow chart from Natural Stat Trick, things were pretty even until the late 2nd/early 3rd when the Jets sat back and NJ pushed to tie it up. The Devils are desperate, a couple of guys on the Jets are fighting the flu, down to 5 defensemen with Kulikov out in the 3rd. You don't want to play many games like that, but I'll gladly take the 2 points.

20172018-21033-cfdiff-sva.png

Overall the Jets 20 game adjCorsi and xGF averages are still holding at the plateau they established about 30 games ago (53%-54% adjCF, 53%-55% xGF).

upload_2018-3-9_14-9-54.png

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Unless goalies start scoring goals the best they can do is lose in a shootout.

Goalies, as well as forwards and defensemen and even coaches, make decisions and plays that have expected probabilities of goal differentials. All else being equal, a goalie with a 30% "Stop a goal" event is just as valuable as a forward with a 30% "Score a goal" event.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This game is an example of why PoMo worries me. We weren't dominated and we were down some good players, but i see the same coaching issues. When a team can beat our forecheck or really get on top of our D on the opposing forecheck, PoMo doesn't adjust. I hope our team is healthy come playoffs, because I believe we have the talent to overcome PoMo's deficiencies for at least a couple of rounds anyways.

Trouba is a huge player to have out against teams like NJ. He's not afraid of oncoming speed, like Chia and Myers are.

Go Laine though. I've never been unsure about where a player is going to shoot the puck like I am when he does. Every time he shoots, no idea, goal, watch replay, oh! Fascinating player....

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
This game is an example of why PoMo worries me. We weren't dominated and we were down some good players, but i see the same coaching issues. When a team can beat our forecheck or really get on top of our D on the opposing forecheck, PoMo doesn't adjust. I hope our team is healthy come playoffs, because I believe we have the talent to overcome PoMo's deficiencies for at least a couple of rounds anyways.

Trouba is a huge player to have out against teams like NJ. He's not afraid of oncoming speed, like Chia and Myers are.

Go Laine though. I've never been unsure about where a player is going to shoot the puck like I am when he does. Every time he shoots, no idea, goal, watch replay, oh! Fascinating player....

I don't understand this thinking. What you've described is execution, not coaching. I don't want a coach trying to change systems when players aren't executing.

Reactions: larmex99

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't understand this thinking. What you've described is execution, not coaching. I don't want a coach trying to change systems when players aren't executing.
No, that's is not what i am talking about. It has nothing to do with execution. I am talking about adjusting in game tactics when something isn't working because the other team can beat it.

You don't want the coach to coach when the team isn't executing? Think about that for a second....

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No, that's is not what i am talking about. It has nothing to do with execution. I am talking about adjusting in game tactics when something isn't working because the other team can beat it.

You don't want the coach to coach when the team isn't executing? Think about that for a second....
In the end it's up to the players. There is a reason why coaches aren't paid as much so they shouldn't take as much of the responsibility if the players aren't getting it done. It's the reason why we are more critical of a Little than a Copp. Why we are more critical of the CEO of McDonald's than the guy who gives you the burgers.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
In the end it's up to the players. There is a reason why coaches aren't paid as much so they shouldn't take as much of the responsibility if the players aren't getting it done. It's the reason why we are more critical of a Little than a Copp. Why we are more critical of the CEO of McDonald's than the guy who gives you the burgers.

What?

Reactions: Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
ok then. A coach doesn't do things. If a tactic doesn't work Scheifele calls a team meeting and tells Buff to do something else? Oh my...
If Little Perrault don't score or contribute offensively in the last 3 games lets fire the coach.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

He's totally right man. There's only so much a coach does. Ultimately it's on the players.

Maurice has said as much. Wheeler has said the same thing. It's not like this is native to the Jets either.

Every NHL coach on every NHL team in every NHL season, ultimately places full value for wins & losses to the players on the ice & state as much emphatically in press conferences time & time again.

TobysDadJeffEnstrom

Mar 24, 2013

I want him coaching his execution when he's executing that coaching, buzzer to buzzer uphill both ways and bench to bench (also coaching the other team but doing just an okay job of it so they don't get to peppy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad