Straight to the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
benji_ch said:
Actually, people have been saying that since the day he was drafted.
Yeah, that was me. So I'm the first one that said it. :p:

And leave me alone in my moment of glory! :p:

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Puckhead said:
2005 draft class...

This list depends on where certain guys are drafted

Crosby
Ryan
Kopitar

The only way Ryan turns pro this year is if the NHL expands to 31 teams.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I'm almost suprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I would be shocked if Phaneuf wasn't on the opening day roster for the Flames.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
PanthersRule said:
I don't know about Olesz but he may get a shot in Florida although the czech league seems to be a better option for one more season. Olesz could play 3rd line center or wing and work his way up though if we dont sign some veteran guy to go there.

by the way Olesz broke his contract with Sparta Praha in Czech Extra League and he want to play with Florida

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Voodoo said:
If I was a GM, no prospect would ever play on my team until he was 20. It just makes no sense to waste two years of service on a player who could continue to develop in the minors. I want this player on my team when he's 26 and 27, not 18 and 19.

I think that should depend on the prospect, some need weaker competition to get confidence/experience, others will stagnate if left at a weaker level, look at Bergeron or Nash , i believe they were able to handle the NHL playing at 18 , i dont think playing against other juniors would really have helped them, personally i dont like the rule that a young player has to either play junior or go to the NHL but cant be sent to the AHL which is a more intermediate level and may be the best choice for a player at that stage.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
thief50 said:
by the way Olesz broke his contract with Sparta Praha in Czech Extra League and he want to play with Florida

signed with the panthers yesterday, and keenan is quoted as saying he'll play with the NHL team, not someone else's AHL affiliate (they dont have an AHL team)

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Voodoo said:
If I was a GM, no prospect would ever play on my team until he was 20. It just makes no sense to waste two years of service on a player who could continue to develop in the minors. I want this player on my team when he's 26 and 27, not 18 and 19.
Totaly disagree. You make your decision on a roster spot based solely on the players in question and NOT by some arbitrary age requirements which could hinder both your team and player. We could name player after player who fit this mold, but really don't need to as any blanket rule set forth such as this would prove to be an ignorant rule.
A fringe guy who may not get much playing time and would benefit from juniors? Certainly. But base it on the individual and not on his age. What would he learn by going back to juniors if he already dominated and has the ability to play well, get his ice time, help his team and learn on the fly. You simply don't make such a rule that is an absolute as doing so shows a certain degree of ignorance in any GM. You ice your best team based on the players and not thier age.

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
stardog said:
Totaly disagree. You make your decision on a roster spot based solely on the players in question and NOT by some arbitrary age requirements which could hinder both your team and player. We could name player after player who fit this mold, but really don't need to as any blanket rule set forth such as this would prove to be an ignorant rule.
A fringe guy who may not get much playing time and would benefit from juniors? Certainly. But base it on the individual and not on his age. What would he learn by going back to juniors if he already dominated and has the ability to play well, get his ice time, help his team and learn on the fly. You simply don't make such a rule that is an absolute as doing so shows a certain degree of ignorance in any GM. You ice your best team based on the players and not thier age.

To me, it's simple economics. If the guy is clearly good enough to be on your roster, you shouldn't hold him back just to get an extra year on the back end. Quality now is more valuable than quality later. On the other hand, if I have two guys, one a recent draftee and the other not, and they're about even at the present, I would probably hold the recent draftee back to get an extra year on the backend out of him. It would be a tie-breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad