Straight to the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Belfast Giants said:
Of the players that will be/should be drafted in the first round this year and the ones from the 1st round in last years draft, which ones do you think will be playing NHL hockey straight away come October?
The 2004 draft class...

Ovechkin
Picard

I don't have my list of the '04 draft with me, so I may have to edit this list, but off the top of my head this is it.

The 2005 draft class...

This list depends on where certain guys are drafted

Crosby
Ryan
Kopitar

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
McSorley 33 said:
Well, Kings fans were hoping to see Lauri Tukonen play, but thats not going to happen. :kings
When do you think Tukonen will make his debut? And what are you expecting of him when he does?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Puckhead said:
The 2004 draft class...

Ovechkin
Picard

I don't have my list of the '04 draft with me, so I may have to edit this list, but off the top of my head this is it.

The 2005 draft class...

Crosby
Ryan
Kopitar
I highly doubt that Kopitar can play in the nhl next season... i think he is several years away from earning an nhl roster spot...

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Fan.At said:
I highly doubt that Kopitar can play in the nhl next season... i think he is several years away from earning an nhl roster spot...
You're probably right, but if a team like Columbus takes him, I think he will a long look. Doug MacLean has always liked getting his young guys in there early and seeing what they can do. If, as many have been predicting, he becomes the 1st line center, then maybe he starts in a lesser 4th or even 3rd line role. I agree with you, that it would most likely be best for him to return to his Euro club and get more opportunity to play in all areas of the game for now, to build upper body strength and get his confidence even higher.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Belfast Giants said:
What about Johnson, Brule or Polliot??
I think that of those three that Johnson appears to be most ready, but as Calgary did with Phaneuf, another year would only help his development.

With Pouliot, he needs to add some strength and play a more disciplined game. Lets not forget he came out of nowhere this season. I am not saying he is a fluke by any stretch, in fact I have heard the comparison to being this years Andrew Ladd, which I completely disagree with. Ladd had Getzlaf which helped out immensely in his draft year. Whereas Pouliot didnt have much in Sudbury. He has eared his stripes in a very short period of time and progressed exponentially since being drafted by Sudbury in the 11th round of the OHL draft a few years ago.

Finally, Brule is a great player and competitor, but I think he may go back to Vancouver of the WHL for one more year, again , depending on who takes him. He didn't have a great year this past season, and because of that he has fallen on almost every draft list I have seen. One team will be very lucky to choose him on Saturday in Ottawa, but another year to get his confidence back is a must!

Last edited:

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Belfast Giants said:
Of the players that will be/should be drafted in the first round this year and the ones from the 1st round in last years draft, which ones do you think will be playing NHL hockey straight away come October?

With the new CBA being what it is, I won't expect any junior-aged players short of a Crosby or Ovechkin-type caliber to be playing in the league. Not only can players become UFA's at age 27 moving forward, but you will also become a UFA with seven years of experience. It doesn't make sense anymore to have a kid putting up 18 YO Joe Thornton type numbers and accelerate his road to UFA in the process.

If you can only have them for seven years, make them seven productive years.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
McSorley 33 said:
Well, Kings fans were hoping to see Lauri Tukonen play, but thats not going to happen. :kings
Lauri Tukonen will be a bust. You heard it here first.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Belfast Giants said:

Brule will be asked to but won't.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
From last years first round:
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Alexandre Picard
Andrej Meszaros

Maybe:
Andrew Ladd
Robbie Schremp
Mike Green

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Stiffler's Mom said:
Brule will be asked to but won't.

What do you mean by that ? Brule will be asked to play in the NHL but would refuse ? Why would he refuse if he was asked ? :help:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Puckhead said:
You're probably right, but if a team like Columbus takes him, I think he will a long look. Doug MacLean has always liked getting his young guys in there early and seeing what they can do. If, as many have been predicting, he becomes the 1st line center, then maybe he starts in a lesser 4th or even 3rd line role. I agree with you, that it would most likely be best for him to return to his Euro club and get more opportunity to play in all areas of the game for now, to build upper body strength and get his confidence even higher.
I concur, I could see whoever Columbus picks getting a long look.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
Puckhead said:
The 2004 draft class...

Ovechkin
Picard

The 2005 draft class...

Crosby
Ryan
Kopitar
Kopitar isn't ready for NHL action yet, he has only played Swedish Junior and some hockey for the International Slovenia Mens Team.

He is to play in the Swedish Elite League next year I believe, unless the team picking him wants him to come over and play in the WHL for the Regina Pats. While playing with the Pats would help him in adjusting to the North American style of game, a year or 2 in the Swedish Elite League wouldn't hurt either playing against Men and some of the best players outside of the NHL.

Either way Kopitar isn't ready to make the jump.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
If I was a GM, no prospect would ever play on my team until he was 20. It just makes no sense to waste two years of service on a player who could continue to develop in the minors. I want this player on my team when he's 26 and 27, not 18 and 19.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I don't know about Olesz but he may get a shot in Florida although the czech league seems to be a better option for one more season. Olesz could play 3rd line center or wing and work his way up though if we dont sign some veteran guy to go there.

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Voodoo said:
If I was a GM, no prospect would ever play on my team until he was 20. It just makes no sense to waste two years of service on a player who could continue to develop in the minors. I want this player on my team when he's 26 and 27, not 18 and 19.

I'd like to see you walking in Mario's office and explaining that Crosby should not play in the NHL even if it the Penguins loses millions because of that.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Thibaj said:
I'd like to see you walking in Mario's office and explaining that Crosby should not play in the NHL even if it the Penguins loses millions because of that.
Not that hard to do. Play the kid and you start a seven-year clock on him. At the end of seven years, he's an unrestricted free agent. Make sure it's the seven years of his early career that you want.

A year in the AHL never hurt anyone.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Drake1588 said:
Not that hard to do. Play the kid and you start a seven-year clock on him. At the end of seven years, he's an unrestricted free agent. Make sure it's the seven years of his early career that you want.

A year in the AHL never hurt anyone.
When a player dominates his league the way Crosby has in the Q for the last 2 years there is nothing left to prove. Just as in Phaneuf's case sending him back even if he had another year of eligibility makes no sense. The only way you continue to get better at anything is to keep challenging yourself, and the NHL is the logical step. If for whatever reason the prospect stumbles then the AHL is always an option, for some fine tuning. However, sending Crosby to the A just because you don't want to start his career, because you fear losing him in seven years is simpy ridiculous. If you have someone who can help, you use him, and worry about him leaving as a free agent when the time comes.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Puckhead said:
When a player dominates his league the way Crosby has in the Q for the last 2 years there is nothing left to prove. Just as in Phaneuf's case sending him back even if he had another year of eligibility makes no sense. The only way you continue to get better at anything is to keep challenging yourself, and the NHL is the logical step. If for whatever reason the prospect stumbles then the AHL is always an option, for some fine tuning. However, sending Crosby to the A just because you don't want to start his career, because you fear losing him in seven years is simpy ridiculous. If you have someone who can help, you use him, and worry about him leaving as a free agent when the time comes.

What's worse is that Crosby wouldn't be sent to the AHL but back to the Q (unless that has changed under the new CBA).

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
E = CH² said:
What's worse is that Crosby wouldn't be sent to the AHL but back to the Q (unless that has changed under the new CBA).
Good point! Which, other than the obvious reasons of him being a phenom, makes keeping him out of the NHL completely pointless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce