Straight-Ahead Speed: McDavid Versus Bure

Which player has/had more straight-away speed with the puck?

• Total voters

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Bure was as fast as Mcdavid is to the rest of the players of their era.

The rub is McDavid plays vs many fast players in the current day so fast today would have been light speed back then.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I don't know who's faster but Bure certainly scored more goals with his speed while carrying the puck. I think McDavid should play a season or two more "selfishly" the way that Sid did, and win a couple of Rockets. To have an all-time career, you should not only lead the league in points and assists, you should lead in goals as well. Dominate the score sheet.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
There are guys that can absolutely fly in every team nowadays. Players like McDavid and Bure may not have THAT transcedental speed, it's just an illusion because they use the speed with the puck around 10 times as often.
Nobody in the league is a faster straight line skater than Miles Wood

Ive seen the proof on this website before using frame by frame measuring.

Plus a simple eye test lol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody in NHL history is as fast as McDavid while carrying the puck.

Without the puck, it's a more interesting comparison.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Keep in mind it, it is a speed game now compared to when Bure was playing. The guys that McDavid is flying on a regular basis by are faster than the guys that Bure was flying by.

How many current Dman could outskate a prime Scott Neidermayer?
Bure didn't play in the 1920s lol

McDavid is probably the best skater the NHL has ever seen. Bure was quite close though. He was explosive unlike most players, and could actually handle the puck at full speed. McDavid just happens to be able to do that and better, so it's him regardless.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
How many current Dman could outskate a prime Scott Neidermayer?
Bure didn't play in the 1920s lol

McDavid is probably the best skater the NHL has ever seen. Bure was quite close though. He was explosive unlike most players, and could actually handle the puck at full speed. McDavid just happens to be able to do that and better, so it's him regardless.
Ya neidermayer was a great skater. But not everyone skated like him. There were many defenseman that were slow as hell that relied on size and strength to contain players. And I wasn’t referring to the 1920s. I was referring to the 90’s when there were a lot less mobile defenseman than today’s game.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
There are guys that can absolutely fly in every team nowadays. Players like McDavid and Bure may not have THAT transcedental speed, it's just an illusion because they use the speed with the puck around 10 times as often.

McDavids speed is transcedental. He is faster then Wood. With and without a puck.

stop trolling and watch the guy who holds the official fastest skater in NHL history record.

please when Jersey has a team skills , let Wood beat the record before you star making bogus claims.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I doubt any of these guys mentioned are the actual fastest the NHL has seen in the past 20 years. the fastest the NHL has seen is probably some guy who was blazing fast but couldn't handle the puck or know how to play hockey at all, just got carried to the NHL by his speed, it just couldn't make him successful on it's own.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Bure played the game in a time that intentionally slowed the game down. Hooking, grabbing, two line passes, and interference were all things designed to slow the game down.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Bure played the game in a time that intentionally slowed the game down. Hooking, grabbing, two line passes, and interference were all things designed to slow the game down.

Except Bure was usually waiting at the red line for a pass so he was rarely near the defenders. Bure was fast and great to watch. But McD is faster.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Mcdavid is the only player I think is faster or more explosive then bure.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Bure wasn't even the fastest of his time. He just had an explosive first stride and could beat McDavid in acceleration for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad