Stockton Heat Thread v1.0 (and ADK Thunder)

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I compiled lists for all the AHL Western Conference teams in terms of who's under contract for next season and all the free agents. They can be found here: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/06/offseason-guide-part-2-ahl-free-agents.html

Any corrections I need to make with Stockton's list?

Stockton Heat (Calgary Flames)

Under Contract

Forwards: Austin Carroll, Garnet Hathaway, Mark Jankowski, Morgan Klimchuk, Emile Poirier, Brett Pollock, Daniel Pribyl, Andrew Mangiapane, Mason Raymond, Hunter Smith,

Defensemen: Ryan Culkin, Keegan Kanzig, Brett Kulak, Oliver Kylington, Kenny Morrison, Patrick Sieloff,

Goaltenders: Jon Gillies and Mason McDonald

Impending Free Agents

NHL UFA: forward Derek Grant

NHL RFA: goaltender Kevin Poulin, defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon and forwards Kenny Agostino, Bill Arnold, Turner Elson, Freddie Hamilton, Drew Shore and Bryce Van Brabant

AHL UFA: goaltender Kent Simpson, defensemen Aaron Johnson,Jakub Nakladal, Yann Sauve and Dustin Stevenson and forwards Mitchell Heard, Ryan Lomberg and Blair Riley

Believe RD Rasmus Andersson is under contract and will be in the AHL next year. Already signed his ELC.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not really sure where to put this and I don't want to make a new thread. Any info on development camp? Will it be held in Calgary?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not really sure where to put this and I don't want to make a new thread. Any info on development camp? Will it be held in Calgary?

Last year, the roster and schedule for dev camp wasn't announced until July 4, so look for it around that time again. It is usually held at WinSport.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
What there roster going to look like this year.

I haven't really looked at who we even have given all the guys that didn't get qualified... Couple lines I wouldn't mind seeing though...

Klimchuk-Vey-Pollock
Mangiapaine-Jankowski-Poirier

Kulak-Andersson
Kylington-Culkin

Short on RD on the farm... Which guys have played the right side? Any chance any of our Euro draft picks go to the AHL or they stay at home?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I haven't really looked at who we even have given all the guys that didn't get qualified... Couple lines I wouldn't mind seeing though...

Klimchuk-Vey-Pollock
Mangiapaine-Jankowski-Poirier

Kulak-Andersson
Kylington-Culkin

Short on RD on the farm... Which guys have played the right side? Any chance any of our Euro draft picks go to the AHL or they stay at home?

Andersson and Morrison are RH and Kylington plays the right side as a left hand shot (same as Brodie)

Kulak - Kylington
Culkin - Andersson
Kanzig - Morrison

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
A lot of players I'm really looking forward to see how they do.

Poirier needs a bounce back year, and I think he'll get a lot of icetime to prove himself. Top line RW?
Jankowski: Probably the guy most are interested in this year
Klimchuk: Can he produce at this level?
Mangiapane: Does he steal Klimchuk's time in the top 6?
Pollock & Pribyl? What will they tell us this year?

Are Kulak, Kylington & Culkin ready to be leaders?
Is Andersson the best of them all?
Will Kanzing & Falkovsky be a twin tower bottom pair? Who's taller??

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A lot of players I'm really looking forward to see how they do.

Poirier needs a bounce back year, and I think he'll get a lot of icetime to prove himself. Top line RW?
Jankowski: Probably the guy most are interested in this year
Klimchuk: Can he produce at this level?
Mangiapane: Does he steal Klimchuk's time in the top 6?
Pollock & Pribyl? What will they tell us this year?

Are Kulak, Kylington & Culkin ready to be leaders?
Is Andersson the best of them all?
Will Kanzing & Falkovsky be a twin tower bottom pair? Who's taller??

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I think Mangiapane, Pollock and Jankowski are the ones I'm most interested to see how they do.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Anyone feel like predicting :p

Poirier I assume puts up ppg around 45iah games until he is called up for good, I assume the same from both Jankowski and Shinkaruk

Klimchuk has a decent season but nothing special(will turn into a projet pick) will although be named heats best defensive forward. 35 points on the year in 60 games

Kylington outscores Andersson

Macdonald outplays Rittich and sticks in AHL, splits game with Gilles roughly 60/40.

Gilles has an amazing season with a SV% above 9.25 and a GAA under 2.20.

Kanzig plays only 30 games benched the rest

Heat lose in second round of playoffs

Oh and Mangipane finds his way to the first line by the end of the season but starts off slow. Goes on a tear late season.

Krauzer

May 12, 2012
Anyone feel like predicting :p

Poirier I assume puts up ppg around 45iah games until he is called up for good, I assume the same from both Jankowski and Shinkaruk

Klimchuk has a decent season but nothing special(will turn into a projet pick) will although be named heats best defensive forward. 35 points on the year in 60 games

Kylington outscores Andersson

Macdonald outplays Rittich and sticks in AHL, splits game with Gilles roughly 60/40.

Gilles has an amazing season with a SV% above 9.25 and a GAA under 2.20.

Kanzig plays only 30 games benched the rest

Heat lose in second round of playoffs

Oh and Mangipane finds his way to the first line by the end of the season but starts off slow. Goes on a tear late season.

Haven't really been following Kanzig much lately, is it looking like he's gonna be nothing more than a bottom pairing AHL D-man, then?

Also, could totally see Mangipane getting an opp. on the first line and sticking there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Haven't really been following Kanzig much lately, is it looking like he's gonna be nothing more than a bottom pairing AHL D-man, then?

Also, could totally see Mangipane getting an opp. on the first line and sticking there.
People just liek to hate on Kanzig, ever since he was drafted in the minds of many he is a "big goon who can't skate", even though it's complete hokum.

Also if yu think Mangiapane will get an opportunity on the first line you have never seen Huska coach :laugh: This is a guy that buried Klimchuk behind Raymond, Granlund, Elson, Van Brabant and Shinkaruk (this actually made sense)over different parts of the season and Poirier behind Hathaway (even when Hathaway was playing terrible)..... and Smith and Carroll behind, well everyone. His use of players is god awful and the only time he juggles lines is if someone leaves injured, even then he usually just sits the line more. His lines over the majority of the year did nothing for player development either since he buried every 1st year pro except Kylington, whom I believe the Flames told him to play a certain amount.

Krauzer

May 12, 2012
People just liek to hate on Kanzig, ever since he was drafted in the minds of many he is a "big goon who can't skate", even though it's complete hokum.

Also if yu think Mangiapane will get an opportunity on the first line you have never seen Huska coach :laugh: This is a guy that buried Klimchuk behind Raymond, Granlund, Elson, Van Brabant and Shinkaruk (this actually made sense)over different parts of the season and Poirier behind Hathaway (even when Hathaway was playing terrible)..... and Smith and Carroll behind, well everyone. His use of players is god awful and the only time he juggles lines is if someone leaves injured, even then he usually just sits the line more. His lines over the majority of the year did nothing for player development either since he buried every 1st year pro except Kylington, whom I believe the Flames told him to play a certain amount.

:/ Yeah, don't watch much of the farm so didn't get to see how Huska coaches. Sucks about Mangi if so, hate to see his potential go to waste via Huska being a ***** decision maker.

Hello, btw. Been lurking the boards for years now, figured I'd get around to making an account.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

My biggest issue with Kanzig is how weak on the puck he is, for a guy that wins every body on body battle in almost laughable fashion he's consistently beaten stick on stick, has a very hard time moving pucks when under pressure, and his shooting and passing are very inconsistent.

It's too bad as he's a surprisingly smart player, very coachable guy by all accounts, and his skating isn't nearly as bad as people think (North South he's actually an above average skater in the WHL, but as with most Dmen laterally it's gonna take a lot of work to shutdown NHL guys).

Though bear in mind this is mostly from watching him in dev camp videos and a large number of games when he was in Victoria, only seen him as a Hitman once, so hopefully it's gotten better.

Also if yu think Mangiapane will get an opportunity on the first line you have never seen Huska coach :laugh:

Are we really leaving Huska as the coach in Stockton? you'd think watching Poirier and Klimchuk take steps back under him, and getting a new style of coach in Calgary might be good reason to find another coach.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I think if you look at it logically (nothing to do with hate), then ya.
He's behind TSpoon/Nakladal (did he sign?)/Kulak,Klyington/Andersson
Morrisson/Culkin/Kanzig will each be fighting for those bottom spots, and it's very possible they beat him out. He does bring an element the others do not though...

Anyways, is Falkovsky slated to go AHL, or back to Junior ala Kanzig?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think if you look at it logically (nothing to do with hate), then ya.
He's behind TSpoon/Nakladal (did he sign?)/Kulak,Klyington/Andersson
Morrisson/Culkin/Kanzig will each be fighting for those bottom spots, and it's very possible they beat him out. He does bring an element the others do not though...

Anyways, is Falkovsky slated to go AHL, or back to Junior ala Kanzig?
You're right, it's not always about hate. But in this case I think you may have misunderstood what he was asking, or maybe I did :laugh: I don't think he just meant this coming season, I think he was asking about his overall upside, which none of us really know until he does start playing pro games. But I do agree this season he will likely be on the 3rd pairing. He's the only physical defenseman they have as well at this point in time.

But at this point Wotherspoon or Kulak is our #7, Nakladal is a UFA. There is no guarantee Andersson is going to be in the AHL with his conditioning issues. Morrisson was pretty terrible last year, his defensive play made Justin Schultz look like Lidstrom and Culkin was highly unimpressive in his stint with the Heat and his numbers for ADK even look rather poor.

For this year I expect something like:

Kulak/Wotherspoon - AHL Free Agent
Kylington - Andersson/AHL Free Agent
Kanzig - Morrisson
Culkin

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
You're right, it's not always about hate. But in this case I think you may have misunderstood what he was asking, or maybe I did :laugh: I don't think he just meant this coming season, I think he was asking about his overall upside, which none of us really know until he does start playing pro games. But I do agree this season he will likely be on the 3rd pairing. He's the only physical defenseman they have as well at this point in time.

But at this point Wotherspoon or Kulak is our #7, Nakladal is a UFA. There is no guarantee Andersson is going to be in the AHL with his conditioning issues. Morrisson was pretty terrible last year, his defensive play made Justin Schultz look like Lidstrom and Culkin was highly unimpressive in his stint with the Heat and his numbers for ADK even look rather poor.

For this year I expect something like:

Kulak/Wotherspoon - AHL Free Agent
Kylington - Andersson/AHL Free Agent
Kanzig - Morrisson
Culkin

Gulutzan is not Hartley and is much more likely to plug younger players into the roster for the long term good. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington in the line-up.

Tkachuk, Janko, Pribyl, Vey, Shinkaruk, and Poirier will all be given long looks in training camp.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Bottom Pair AHL? Nah, someday he might be top pair AHL. It's highly unlikely he ever makes it to the NHL though unless a team actively wants to sabatoge its on-ice performance.

Krauzer

May 12, 2012
Gulutzan is not Hartley and is much more likely to plug younger players into the roster for the long term good. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington in the line-up.

Tkachuk, Janko, Pribyl, Vey, Shinkaruk, and Poirier will all be given long looks in training camp.

Really hope so. Would be nice to see some young guys get a solid look and an actual chance to prove themselves. (except Janko, not slated to be the best player in his draft class for another 6 years :sarcasm:)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I dunno, his lateral movement has improved quite a bit. If his mobility continues trending up, he could be a bottom three defenseman in the NHL.

Honestly for me, the biggest thing I worry about Kanzig is if you want more than a basic pass from him, it takes a tiny bit more time than it should. Maybe its just because when I see him live I'm watching Bean and Sanheim, but Kanzig's seems to take too long to decide on or to takes to long to make the pass itself if its more than a simple up the boards pass.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno, his lateral movement has improved quite a bit. If his mobility continues trending up, he could be a bottom three defenseman in the NHL.
People write off his physical tools pretty quickly but unlike most other defensive prospects his only development needed is on the ice, the fact he can come in and not worry about being pushed around is an asset, personally I'd like to see him playing with Kylington at some point because I think they would compliment each other quite well.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
People write off his physical tools pretty quickly but unlike most other defensive prospects his only development needed is on the ice, the fact he can come in and not worry about being pushed around is an asset, personally I'd like to see him playing with Kylington at some point because I think they would compliment each other quite well.

I actually really like that pairing thinking about it. Kanzig can defer to Kylington for breakouts and Kylington doesn't have to worry about clearing the crease. Would definitely cover the others deficiencies rather well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually really like that pairing thinking about it. Kanzig can defer to Kylington for breakouts and Kylington doesn't have to worry about clearing the crease. Would definitely cover the others deficiencies rather well.
that is why Siefoff and Kylington were a pair IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad