Confirmed Trade: [STL/WAS] Shattenkirk 39% rtnd, Copley for Sanford, Malone, 1st ('17), cndl 2nd ('19)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
What does Washington's defense look like now?

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Shattenkirk
Orpik - Niskanen

Tight. They didn't pay much for Shattenkirk either, is it feasible they could keep him or is he pretty much already on the Rangers?

Outside chance. IMO, Caps can only keep one of Alzner, Orpik, Shattenkirk. If they really like Shattenkirk, they could let Alzner leave as UFA, but would have to find a destination for Orpik.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Outside chance. IMO, Caps can only keep one of Alzner, Orpik, Shattenkirk. If they really like Shattenkirk, they could let Alzner leave as UFA, but would have to find a destination for Orpik.

Don't think it should be to difficult to move Orpik in the offseason, so we should be able to keep one of the three. Then there are other possibilities such as moving a guy Johansson/Wilson to keep a second guy. But I think the likely scenario is we keep just one of them, and it'll probably be Oshie since BMGM has talked about contract talks between them.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think St.Louis could have got more for Shattenkirk IMO. Still it's a great pickup for Washington who made themselves that much better yesterday.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Call me silly, but I don't see how Shatenkirk is a significant improvement over Orlov, tad bit better offensively, may be a little better defensively. A lot to give up, and he is a rental if I understand correctly?

Okay, you're silly.

:snide:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Completely forgot to congratulate the Caps on getting Shattenkirk. I believe this is the right time for them to make this move and they did great by not going overboard on aquisition cost for a rental. Shattenkirk was great here. Put up points regardless of whether or not his teammates were, vocal leader and a well liked guy by his teammates and bosses. Very good add for the Caps, would definitely like to see them rewarded in the PO's for this move and not just because it gets the Blues closer to that conditional 2nd.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I wouldn't degrade Sanford.

He's not a blue chip, all star level prospect, but he's a good bet to be a decent #2/#3 winger/center with size and hands. He plays a good two way game and his offensive upside is still growing. He was really good in training camp this year and made the team out of it. The Caps are ok, as they don't really need him, but he's a good player you could see playing 6-8 seasons for you and getting 45-50 points at the top end. He's 22, really only playing in his first season of pro hockey and he has a lot to fill out frame wise. With Vrana, Burakovsky, and maybe Barber, they could afford to move him. I rather move him than Bowey.

I hope they don't push him up to the NHL and let him play in Chicago for this year and next to see what he has. We a stocked full of bottom 6 guys right now and if he can grow into a 2nd liner, then bonus. Else, he's trade bait back to Washington at next years TDL :laugh:

d99gr81

Dec 30, 2006
LOL if they pair him with Alzner...anyone paired with that atrocity is basically a waste.

However, they went from a decent defense to an awesome one...I'd say they at least make the ECF.

Decent?? The Caps were the best defense in the league before the got Shatty...

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Shattenkirk is vastly overrated. While useful on the rush and PP, he isn't someone that is going to be worth 7M per season. So enjoy it while you have it Washington, you just overpaid big time. The Right Handed Yandle moved!

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Shattenkirk is vastly overrated. While useful on the rush and PP, he isn't someone that is going to be worth 7M per season. So enjoy it while you have it Washington, you just overpaid big time. The Right Handed Yandle moved!

If shats was the player you described, it still wouldn't be overpayment.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
well, those of you that are *****ing and whining about the return, may it has come to mind that this could have been by far the best offer submitted to the Blues...? Shattenkirk aint Nik Lidstrom you know... so no way the Blues were getting a bluechip prospect & 1st+ for him

as for the trade itself... good move by the Caps, they have a very good puck mover now and the Blues finally get a return for a UFA after losing a ******** of players in the past 3 years

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He wasn't even listed in Central Scouting's rankings nor was he listed by ISS or The Hockey News, and they had around 220 NA skaters listed. He was playing in the AJHL which is a junior league to the CHL. Hardly any teams knew about him.
Every team scouts the AJHL. Guys are chosen from that league literally every season. I have no doubt that St. Louis kept a close eye on him, but lets not suggest that because he was in the AJHL he was an unknown.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Yeah, but that was NEVER realistic lol. :laugh:

Nobody who has any idea what they're talking about was asking for Nylander. It's always easy to attack the dumbest people within any fanbase--e.g., we had that Kadri for Parayko thread.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Too many coin flips in the sport of hockey. Rentals are usually a horrendous idea, especially of this magnitude.

Coyotes send Vermette, a free agent after the season, to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a 2015 first-round draft pick and defense prospect Klas Dahlbeck.

Vermette scored two game winners in the Final.

The Los Angeles Kings acquired three-time All-Star right wing Marian Gaborik from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday.

Columbus received right wing Matt Frattin, a second-round draft pick and a conditional third-round pick in exchange for Gaborik.

Gaborik leads the Kings with 14 goals enroute to the Cup in 2014.

I think the Capitals are smart to take their chances.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What was Washington's defense before this? Ie who is the odd man out?
When fully healthy (both Niskanen and Orpik missed the last 2 games):
Orlov-Niskanen
Alzner-Carlson
Orpik-Schmidt

Most assume Schmidt will be the odd man out, although there's a camp that would prefer it be Orpik.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Orlov-Niskanen
Alzner-Carlson
Orpik-Schmidt

Most assume Schmidt will be the odd man out, although there's a camp that would prefer it be Orpik.

The playoffs are all about heavy forechecking and trying to brutalize/wear out the other team's defense. I'd rather have Orpik back there taking hits than Schmidt but tbh it's close because Schmidt is such a great skater he rarely takes a hit. Orpik is definitely stronger in front of the net though - that presence should be valuable in the playoffs. Either way, it's great to have either one of those penciled in as #7. Both have had great years and are top-4 for just about every other team in the league.

d99gr81

Dec 30, 2006
Orlov-Niskanen
Alzner-Carlson
Orpik-Schmidt

[MOD] Orpik has been fantastic this season... That said Schimdt who is paired with Orpik has had his best season in his career. Alan May stated Schmidt will be the odd man out and that the parings will be

Orlov-Niskanen
Alzner-Carlson
Orpik-Shatty

They do not want to break up Niskanen and Orlov

Last edited by a moderator:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
They do not want to break up Niskanen and Orlov

And I agree with this. Except for Orlov occasionally making a bonehead play, this pair is very hard to forecheck and bottle up. They are our best pair with the puck. They should be able to generate a lot of odd-man breaks.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm hoping to see Alzner-Shatty and Orpik-Carlson, but I'm worried about shutting down Sid.

Ideally it's Nisky matched up against him but with Orlov that could be a recipe for disaster.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

They absolutely did not overpay for him. Unless a draft pick is top ten anymore who even cares about it?

Vrana
Bowey
Barber
L. Johansson
Siegenthaler
Gersich
Sanford
is probably how the Caps rank their prospects. They gave up a decent prospect for sure but not something irreplaceable like Forsberg.

Now the Rangers on the other hand, unless he gives a home town discount, may.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Call me silly, but I don't see how Shatenkirk is a significant improvement over Orlov, tad bit better offensively, may be a little better defensively. A lot to give up, and he is a rental if I understand correctly?

Shattenkirk isn't meant to replace Orlov, he's there to replace Schmidt.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Shattenkirk isn't meant to replace Orlov, he's there to replace Schmidt.

And if someone gets hurt (which they will) Schmidt, who is a speedy but small defender, can step right in.

Which unlike last season when Orpik for hurt/suspended they had to play a complete plug in Weber. :cry:

Pens will still probably beat the Caps on their way to the Cup but at least as a fan I know that Caps management went down swinging.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers fans should cheer the **** outta him and start a chant for him haha.

Nah, Ranger fans will probably boo him everytime he touches the puck. He'll quickly change his mind about playing for the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad