Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Torey Krug signs with the Blues (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
Petro wanted too see what other offers were out there which is entirely within his right And the market wasn't great before he could say he was coming back Armstrong jumped the gun and rushed and signed Krug. For that i put the blame squarely on Army.

Armstrong did a very similar thing with the ROR trade. It was a staring contest and Army did the Bozak sign to make them blink. Could this work out for us and we can sign Petro as well? Maybe, but at least we didn't go away empty handed. Keep in mind, the plane that Petro got on was reserved Friday morning to go to Vegas. This trip was going to happen one way or another. Reckless optimism until the end.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Armstrong did a very similar thing with the ROR trade. It was a staring contest and Army did the Bozak sign to make them blink. Could this work out for us and we can sign Petro as well? Maybe, but at least we didn't go away empty handed. Keep in mind, the plane that Petro got on was reserved Friday morning to go to Vegas. This trip was going to happen one way or another. Reckless optimism until the end.

Yup. I'm holding out hope that Petro comes to his senses and signs with the Blues.

Reactions: jimmythemick

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
Yup. I'm holding out hope that Petro comes to his senses and signs with the Blues.
I think the biggest issue with him signing here will be the same thing that Vegas is dealing with. If we start shopping Bozak with a Dunn sweetener, teams will know what is up and start trying to stick it to us. More so with us then Vegas because with a resigned Petro and our current D situation, they would not be a defense any team would enjoy playing against.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I think the biggest issue with him signing here will be the same thing that Vegas is dealing with. If we start shopping Bozak with a Dunn sweetener, teams will know what is up and start trying to stick it to us. More so with us then Vegas because with a resigned Petro and our current D situation, they would not be a defense any team would enjoy playing against.

Put Steen and Tarasenko on LTIR that would be some cap space freed. Trade Bozak and Dunn. It's doable but Army would need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to pull it off.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
And Armstrong didn't want everything the way he wanted it? Why does Pietrangelo get exclusively blamed for his list of wants? If you're going to blame one, why not blame both? Why does Armstrong seemingly get a complete pass for pushing off Petro's request to talk extension by citing future uncertainty, then extending 3 other players - one in the middle of considerable uncertainty - and leaving Petro hanging out to dry the entire time?

I'm not saying anyone has to blame Armstrong for any of this. I'm not saying anyone has to be blamed. Armstrong made the decisions he did, for whatever reasons he had, and those decisions weren't accidental. I'm just asking why, when trying to figure out how this situation got to where it is, some people want to lob all the rocks and arrows at Pietrangelo as if Armstrong had some grand master plan that would have worked, except for AP and his meddling agents (and probably their stupid dog, too).

Perhaps. Depends on what each side wanted and how far they gave up. I do recall seeing JR saying that one agent he talked to pointed to the Blues position of "agree on term and AAV, and then we'll talk about the other stuff" as being totally backwards from how contracts typically get done. Doesn't mean they couldn't have gotten a deal done, but clearly there were two different approaches to how each side was going about it.
It’s due to what has been reported (truth or not) but Armstrong stated they added NMC and bonus’ which was by all accounts the main sticking points and something they never do. On top of offering at least $8+x8 deal. If he wants to be in stl as much as he says he does, they wouldn’t be nickel and dimeing them. Armstrong compromised while Newport and pietro still wanted more

Dec 15, 2002
It’s due to what has been reported (truth or not) but Armstrong stated they added NMC and bonus’ which was by all accounts the main sticking points and something they never do. On top of offering at least $8+x8 deal. If he wants to be in stl as much as he says he does, they wouldn’t be nickel and dimeing them. Armstrong compromised while Newport and pietro still wanted more
Yes, Armstrong said he added a NMC and signing bonus money.

Was it a full NMC, or was it partial in some way? Did it extend through all years, or did it not sunrise until a certain point and then sunset at a certain point?
Was that signing bonus money close to what Pietrangelo wanted, or was it like 500K for the first 4 years, 1M for the last 4?
Was the yearly salary 8M flat every year, or was it like 6/10 and then 8x6 to try and limit how much gets paid out for '20-21 (especially if/when '20-21 is a partial season)?

I've pointed this out several times now. Lots of details missing there that hey, they offered 8x8 is woefully insufficient to answer.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
A "partial NMC" for several years, and "some" bonus money.

Those caveats are kind of important ones. If you're shopping for full insurance (which is what a NMC is for a player) and you're offered partial insurance for part of the term you need it, are you jumping on that offer or shopping around?

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Fair points and we obviously don’t know the full details, but this is a negotiation. When one side is compromising and the other isn’t budging, blame will go towards them.

Pietro earned that right to demand whatever he wants, but you’re only worth what someone is willing to pay you. You’d think he’d be signed already if someone agrees. We’ll see if he gets anywhere near 65mil

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Can people stop with the "my team isnt cheap because look at the owner(s)". Yes, your team is owned by billionaires. Big shocker there. Every team is. That doesn't mean your owner is willing to spend.

That was literally the point I was making...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad