Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Torey Krug signs with the Blues (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
And you really think we are a cup contender with our defense, as currently constructed, without Pietrangelo?

Its hard to say. Did ypu think we were a cup contender the year we won the cup? We won't know till we see the team in action. I'm not happy with how things shake out but I'm hopefull the team adjusts and they pull together to be competitive.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
What a mess this thread has become. LOL

WELCOME ABOARD TOREY!!

Sorry about the Petro drama. That will clear up in a few days. Looking forward to seeing you wear the Note when the season gets rolling.

As one of our TV guys likes to say "a little guy with gumption".

Looking forward to seeing what you can do to help our team.

Signed,

A Blues fan

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I can’t help but keep picking on you. What makes you think we stabbed Petro in the back, when by all accounts it was the exact opposite?

He and his agent played hard to get and got dumped. Fire your agent.

Couple things.

1. After leading the team for years, scoring the Cup winning goal and becoming the first Blues player to hoist the cup, we did the following:

-Trade for and sign Justin Faulk long term
-Sign Brayden Schenn long term
-Sign Marco Scandella long term

Let’s continue

In late October, the Predators signed their franchise defenseman and the best comparable to Petro to a long term extension. Now both sides have their comp. Should have been done within 48 hours. It’s not. We foolishly continue to wait, get hit by a pandemic, Petro has another stellar season. Still nothing gets done, Alex Pietrangelo gives an interview basically begging the Blues to give a real offer (no 8x8 without a full NMC doesn’t count)

Now we jump ahead to free agency.

We all know the contenders. Toronto, Vegas, and St. Louis. TJ Brodie takes out Toronto almost immediately.

We can’t even wait to let him make a decision? And we replace him with THAT?!

I get we’re all Blues fans so we want the moves made to be the best for the team but people are going to have to accept Torey Krug’s significant limitations. He does not kill penalties, he plays extremely sheltered minutes and just isn’t a well rounded defenseman at all. He just isn’t.

I also get that we are designed to take the Blues side on everything but I just don’t get how one logically rationalizes Doug Armstrong being the ONLY GM not to take care of his star players and then blames the player for leaving.

Are full NMC risky? Very much so. Do you make an exception in this case? ABSOLUTELY without a second thought.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Couple things.

1. After leading the team for years, scoring the Cup winning goal and becoming the first Blues player to hoist the cup, we did the following:

Let’s continue

In late October, the Predators signed their franchise defenseman and the best comparable to Petro to a long term extension. Now both sides have their comp. Should have been done within 48 hours. It’s not. We foolishly continue to wait, get hit by a pandemic, Petro has another stellar season. Still nothing gets done, Alex Pietrangelo gives an interview basically begging the Blues to give a real offer (no 8x8 without a full NMC doesn’t count)

We all know the contenders. Toronto, Vegas, and St. Louis. TJ Brodie takes out Toronto almost immediately.

I get we’re all Blues fans so we want the moves made to be the best for the team but people are going to have to accept Torey Krug’s significant limitations. He does not kill penalties, he plays extremely sheltered minutes and just isn’t a well rounded defenseman at all. He just isn’t.

I also get that we are designed to take the Blues side on everything but I just don’t get how one logically rationalizes Doug Armstrong being the ONLY GM not to take care of his star players and then blames the player for leaving.

Are full NMC risky? Very much so. Do you make an exception in this case? ABSOLUTELY without a second thought.
Sounds like the other players who signed extensions with the Blues were being reasonable, while it was either my way or the highway for Petro.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Couple things.

Let’s continue

Well said sir

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow , a lot of Armstrong family members posting here.

The reason Faulk, Krug, and Scandella were easy to sign was because no one else was willing to pay them that much. STL seemed to not be able to handle prosperity, and has made some bizarre decisions.

If it turns out that he was asking for 70M, then I get it. Otherwise, it's :huh:

Dec 15, 2002
Is it much different than fans claiming your GM signed Krug instead of Pietrangelo? Neither side knows what occurred.
Factually at the moment, our GM did sign Krug instead of Pietrangelo. No one has any clue what Pietrangelo was really asking for when he was talking to our GM to know whether he was asking for too much, or if his agents f***ed it up, or if our GM was being a total hardass, or what the hell happened.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I am utterly amazed at how many people keep making this claim, with absolutely nothing to back it up. I know, I shouldn't be, but I am.
JR quoted a “player close to Pietro” as pretty much saying that. I speculate it’s Colaiacovo being quoted, as he’s been a spokesman for Pietro a few times in recent weeks. The quote was something like, “He didn’t value one thing over another. He wanted everything the way he wanted it.”

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Factually at the moment, our GM did sign Krug instead of Pietrangelo. No one has any clue what Pietrangelo was really asking for when he was talking to our GM to know whether he was asking for too much, or if his agents f***ed it up, or if our GM was being a total hardass, or what the hell happened.

I think both sides deserves their fair share of blame.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Can't wait for Krug to get the Brewer Treatment! Petro and his agent overplayed their hand, and thought DA would give into the pressure. Glad to have Army as the GM. Still hoping for resolution that has petro stay a blue, but it looks like that ship has sailed. Thanks for everything Petro, I would like say I will still root for you, but I am Blues fan and it looks like you will be signing in the Western Conference so get bent..

Dec 15, 2002
JR quoted a “player close to Pietro” as pretty much saying that. I speculate it’s Colaiacovo being quoted, as he’s been a spokesman for Pietro a few times in recent weeks. The quote was something like, “He didn’t value one thing over another. He wanted everything the way he wanted it.”
And Armstrong didn't want everything the way he wanted it? Why does Pietrangelo get exclusively blamed for his list of wants? If you're going to blame one, why not blame both? Why does Armstrong seemingly get a complete pass for pushing off Petro's request to talk extension by citing future uncertainty, then extending 3 other players - one in the middle of considerable uncertainty - and leaving Petro hanging out to dry the entire time?

I'm not saying anyone has to blame Armstrong for any of this. I'm not saying anyone has to be blamed. Armstrong made the decisions he did, for whatever reasons he had, and those decisions weren't accidental. I'm just asking why, when trying to figure out how this situation got to where it is, some people want to lob all the rocks and arrows at Pietrangelo as if Armstrong had some grand master plan that would have worked, except for AP and his meddling agents (and probably their stupid dog, too).

I think both sides deserves their fair share of blame.
Perhaps. Depends on what each side wanted and how far they gave up. I do recall seeing JR saying that one agent he talked to pointed to the Blues position of "agree on term and AAV, and then we'll talk about the other stuff" as being totally backwards from how contracts typically get done. Doesn't mean they couldn't have gotten a deal done, but clearly there were two different approaches to how each side was going about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vollie27

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
And Armstrong didn't want everything the way he wanted it? Why does Pietrangelo get exclusively blamed for his list of wants? If you're going to blame one, why not blame both? Why does Armstrong seemingly get a complete pass for pushing off Petro's request to talk extension by citing future uncertainty, then extending 3 other players - one in the middle of considerable uncertainty - and leaving Petro hanging out to dry the entire time?

I'm not saying anyone has to blame Armstrong for any of this. I'm not saying anyone has to be blamed. Armstrong made the decisions he did, for whatever reasons he had, and those decisions weren't accidental. I'm just asking why, when trying to figure out how this situation got to where it is, some people want to lob all the rocks and arrows at Pietrangelo as if Armstrong had some grand master plan that would have worked, except for AP and his meddling agents (and probably their stupid dog, too).

Perhaps. Depends on what each side wanted and how far they gave up. I do recall seeing JR saying that one agent he talked to pointed to the Blues position of "agree on term and AAV, and then we'll talk about the other stuff" as being totally backwards from how contracts typically get done. Doesn't mean they couldn't have gotten a deal done, but clearly there were two different approaches to how each side was going about it.
I’m not absolving Armstrong of blame anywhere in my quote. I’m just responding to your claim there was no indication that Pietro was being inflexible.

If we can take Armstrong’s statements about the last contract offer at face value, it certainly sounds like the Blues moved a lot from the initial position of no NMC and no bonus money. I can’t find any information to suggest Pietro moved on his ask. Instead I see quotes from someone in his camp which suggests the opposite. And yes, I realize we don’t know any of these details for certain.

You could maybe also read between the lines of why Toronto shut it down almost immediately. I think most of us expected them to make a more serious pitch to get him. Why didn’t they?

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
You say this shit as if it was a one sided thing. Petro is the one who SAID NO on Thursday night and went to FA.

Petro wanted too see what other offers were out there which is entirely within his right And the market wasn't great before he could say he was coming back Armstrong jumped the gun and rushed and signed Krug. For that i put the blame squarely on Army.

Dec 15, 2002
You could maybe also read between the lines of why Toronto shut it down almost immediately. I think most of us expected them to make a more serious pitch to get him. Why didn’t they?
1. They didn't have cap room for him.
2. They expected a big we're Toronto, you're from Toronto, everyone wants to play in their hometown discount.
3. They balked at the idea of forking out yet more signing bonus money on July 1.
4. They balked at the idea of giving a full NMC that went 7 years when they already have Tavares and Muzzin on NMCs and know eventually they'll have to pony one up for Matthews and Marner and potentially Reilly that kick in when Pietrangelo's contract would be on the books.
5. Some combination of the above
6. Something else that doesn't immediately come to mind

I can see lots of reasons why Toronto bailed. None have to do with Pietrangelo asking for way above market value in some way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad