Post-Game Talk: stl @ Supreme Champions of the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's a whole lot conjecture. You are not attributing any of the success to the coaching staff and you are blaming them for all of the failures.

You are looking at 'Trotz mode' through some seriously rosy glasses. This team played some ugly hockey through very long stretches last season, some of the least inspired hockey I've seen them play in the Ovechkin era. Caps were plummeting going into the trade deadline. I guess that wasn't 'Trotz mode'.
Last season we played a more open style than we did the previous 3 years under Trotz. I think Reirden had a lot to do with last regular season. We are playing a similar style as last season. We did play a more disciplined Trotz style in the playoffs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This loss was a result of poor effort and some bad breaks (soft goal by Copley, at least three weird bounces that went STL's way). Bad efforts happen. No team gives 100% for all 82 games. It's just reality. Slumps and dud games will occur over the 82 games, regardless of who's coaching.

The CBJ game was far more worrisome in terms of coaching. That was a game where Columbus' system was smothering the Caps, and where the CBJ skaters were playing assertively and confidently in their system while the Capitals couldn't seem to adjust. The Blue Jackets knew where the puck would be and had players positioned correctly to challenge the Capitals in all three zones. The Caps couldn't adjust to get consistent speed through the neutral zone at any point. If you want to draw doom and gloom about the coaching staff, that game is the one to point at.
That being said, that game still doesn't concern me that much. It's one regular season game. It's not a playoff series. Weird match-ups happen. Trotz was certainly outcoached on various nights. Same with Boudreau. Same with every coach in the NHL. You don't always get a ton of time to implement team-specific gameplans during the regular season.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
STL played a great game, credit to them, plus a couple a bit of good fortune/bounces

Caps were a little lackluster, only real beef with any one player is Kuz -- at least 5 times he'd stickhandle beautifully only to end up with a bad giveaway

Until we go on a 5 game losing skid, or are looking consistently bad with less than 2o games left, not a big deal; not any real huge issues that can't be ironed out
What's our worst stretch? 0-2-1? how spoiled and shortsighted some fans are

Reactions: Sam Spade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad