Proposal: (STL) Schenn to CGY

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Common sense says don't ask about any roster player in the SC finals unless you're prepared to give up your first born +
Blues gave up 2 first round picks to get him when he was 26.

He was signed for the next 3 seasons at the time.

He is now down to a year left before he requires an extension when he turns 29 next year.

Blues made the deal expecting him to help them make a deep run. Which he now has done for them.

What can Calgary reasonably offer the blues?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Reasonable ask would be a young top 4 LD. He's still one of their top players. I only see this going sideways.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I still think Schenn could be available. He has said that he prefers to play center and we can't guarantee him that he will be our 2C long-term with Robert Thomas quickly improving. If he is willing to extend with the understanding that he will probably be playing a lot of wing we'll keep him. If not, I think Armstrong would definitely listen to offers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I still think Schenn could be available. He has said that he prefers to play center and we can't guarantee him that he will be our 2C long-term with Robert Thomas quickly improving. If he is willing to extend with the understanding that he will probably be playing a lot of wing we'll keep him. If not, I think Armstrong would definitely listen to offers.
Well he’s under contract for another year so a decision will have to be made by the tdl if you want assets for him. Easier to move him if they win the cup this year. Or you simply keep him as a rental for a run in 2020.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Well he’s under contract for another year so a decision will have to be made by the tdl if you want assets for him. Easier to move him if they win the cup this year. Or you simply keep him as a rental for a run in 2020.
I'm talking about this offseason. If he is on our roster next season I expect us to keep him (barring collapse) and attempt to re-sign him.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’d have to think they kinda like their squad right now, no? They may have already made the necessary changes to win.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Doubt the Blues would be looking at this. Likely Hanafin would have to be the main piece from the Flames end.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Schenn fits the Blues well. The only reason they'd trade him is because they don't intend on signing him, which seems unlikely. Perhaps if his contract demands are ridiculous. Other than that, the Blues have to look at the deal as if they're trading a guy signed long-term. In that case, think of what you'd have to give the Blues to improve them and make an offer.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Making it to the finals has a way to make players not care where they play in the lineup. With that said though the only thing that would interest me from Calgary is Tkachuk and that won't be a 1:1 deal so no thanks on any trade.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
You'd be extremely hard pressed to find a Blues fan willing to move Thomas. Not taking a shot at Tkachuk's value by any means. We're just that high on Thomas.
I'd argue Flames fans are equally as high on Tkachuk (seeing him as the next captain and a few saying he'll be better than Johnny) and that someone like Thomas and even + would be what it takes for Tkachuk to be moved.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
what would a deal like this look like

There is no reason to move him. His likely value is more then a high end rental considering his contract. So 1st and a b level prospect. There is no reason to move him.

Keep him for next season and treat him as a rental. But only if he is unwilling to sign a decent deal for the right term and price.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I don’t think the Blues move Schenn unless 1 of 2 things happen.

1-He is an absolute beast in the SCF(man that feels good to type) and tears it up next year and asks for/earns more than 7mil/5years. He can be a 1A/1B center on a Cup caliber team with O’Rielly signed for like 2 more decades.

2-the Blues can use him to land a Tkachuk. Doesn’t have to be Matt, could be Brady. But the only way they move a proven 60+ pt center is for a legacy STUD or they can’t afford him.

P.S.-I’m not saying he’s worth a Tkachuk by himself....but at the same time, I wouldn’t trade Thomas 1-for-1 for either Tkachuk. He’s our future #1 center. I could see a Schenn/Dunn or Edmundson deal. But asking for Thomas as a “throw-in” is completely unrealistic, and hopefully you’re still watching the playoffs, cuz Thomas is the real deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad