PTO: [STL] James Neal and Michael Frolik sign PTOs with the Blues

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Well Nealer still just turned 34 years old. Plenty of 35+ players that are still NHL effective. He had some bad luck last season, with his injury, constant shifting of line mates/roster spot which led to inconsistent momentum.
It was just 2 years ago that he took the league by storm in the first month of the season, leading the goal scoring race for several weeks. Of course it was largely due to him being slotted on the best power play in the NHL, but he had alot to do with that as well.

I thought he wasn't too bad in the 2 playoff games he played last season, considering he was having a season riddled with adversity, yet still came out strong in the post season. Physical, quick plays and a couple ringed off the bar.
Imo, he's still capable of hitting 20 goals in a full season, being slotted in the top 6. Nealer is a great teammate, wish him all the best in the St.Louis

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well Nealer still just turned 34 years old. Plenty of 35+ players that are still NHL effective. He had some bad luck last season, with his injury, constant shifting of line mates/roster spot which led to inconsistent momentum.
It was just 2 years ago that he took the league by storm in the first month of the season, leading the goal scoring race for several weeks. Of course it was largely due to him being slotted on the best power play in the NHL, but he had alot to do with that as well.

I thought he wasn't too bad in the 2 playoff games he played last season, considering he was having a season riddled with adversity, yet still came out strong in the post season. Physical, quick plays and a couple ringed off the bar.
Imo, he's still capable of hitting 20 goals in a full season, being slotted in the top 6. Nealer is a great teammate, wish him all the best in the St.Louis

He was very bad in the last 3 yrs except for maybe 20 games. When he is not scoring, he is a big negative with bad attitude. And he is not scoring now.

Reactions: Boomstick and YP44

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

those that hang on successfully into their later 30s are rarely as abysmal on their skates as Neal. He’s slower than molasses.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

He didn't take the league by storm. He was tapping in gimmees from McDavid and Draisaitl. He's been on a clear decline since leaving Vegas. Yes there are 35 plus players in the league, but most players are no longer nhl quality by 35.

Neal ended up being an awful teammate in Calgary. Refused to put effort in when the Flames needed him and demanded a top 6 role he didn't deserve. His attitude forced a trade.

If he was any better in Edmonton, they would have kept him as a veteran presence that the team desperately needs.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He didn't take the league by storm. He was tapping in gimmees from McDavid and Draisaitl. He's been on a clear decline since leaving Vegas. Yes there are 35 plus players in the league, but most players are no longer nhl quality by 35.

Neal ended up being an awful teammate in Calgary. Refused to put effort in when the Flames needed him and demanded a top 6 role he didn't deserve. His attitude forced a trade.

If he was any better in Edmonton, they would have kept him as a veteran presence that the team desperately needs.

Meh... I don't think attitude was the problem in Edmonton. He always had a smile and the guys seemed to get a kick out of him.

Last year it was injuries and more broadly... I think Edmonton just didn't put him (often enough) in a position to get the most out of his diminishing skill set. On a cycling line, as a RW shooter... he could still have some success.

The problem for him in Edmonton is that he couldn't keep up to McDavid and Draisaitl was benefiting from the digging efforts of Yama and the IQ of Nuge, so that left Neal needing to play a third line role with the likes of Haas as his center. That was never going to work.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He was very bad in the last 3 yrs except for maybe 20 games. When he is not scoring, he is a big negative with bad attitude. And he is not scoring now.
Just going to say in Edmonton all the press I heard said he was a positive influence in the room, particularly early he helped support our young leadership core.

The rest I'll more or less agree with, Neal is fundamentally a bad player at this stage of his career, he continues to possess some natural goal scoring touch and knows where to go to score goals, but outside of goalscoring is worse than your average replacement level player in pretty much every respect.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I bet St. Louis signs Neal, he has a hot start to the season, and they scratch then eventually waive him when he cools off

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I bet St. Louis signs Neal, he has a hot start to the season, and they scratch then eventually waive him when he cools off
Lol there will be certain blues fan on here who will aimlessly argue that they won't sign him no matter
...I agree he gets a contract. The crow is still cooking for a few

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Frolik is trying again? I thought last season was the nail in his coffin. Neal could play a few more years, but obviously won't get any term on a contract.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just going to say in Edmonton all the press I heard said he was a positive influence in the room, particularly early he helped support our young leadership core.

The rest I'll more or less agree with, Neal is fundamentally a bad player at this stage of his career, he continues to possess some natural goal scoring touch and knows where to go to score goals, but outside of goalscoring is worse than your average replacement level player in pretty much every respect.

ok I won’t argue that since I don’t follow Edmonton as much

But his attitude in Calgary was as bad as it could have been. I would be shock if there is a Flames fan that thought he was a positive influence

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Lol there will be certain blues fan on here who will aimlessly argue that they won't sign him no matter
...I agree he gets a contract. The crow is still cooking for a few

I don't think any hockey fans has ever cared so much about another team's PTO invites as you have. Ummm, congratulations?

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I feel like picking up these type of guys have been the Blues MO for quite a while. Neal, Hoffman, Stepniak, etc. sort of boom or bust one dimensional wingers.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008

I don't think Neal has much/anything left in the tank as a player, but the whole locker room cancer thing has been completely blown out of proportion. He was an obvious leader in Nashville and Vegas. I haven't heard anything about Edmonton, but I guess you're saying there was no issue here. The whole poor attitude thing was from his one year in Calgary. I know he and Bill Peters didn't get along, but I think since it's been discovered that Bill Peters is a piece of ****, maybe people need to reevaluate the situation. It's just a narrative from salty Flames fans who are upset that it was a bad signing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Neal has much/anything left in the tank as a player, but the whole locker room cancer thing has been completely blown out of proportion. He was an obvious leader in Nashville and Vegas. I haven't heard anything about Edmonton, but I guess you're saying there was no issue here. The whole poor attitude thing was from his one year in Calgary. I know he and Bill Peters didn't get along, but I think since it's been discovered that Bill Peters is a piece of ****, maybe people need to reevaluate the situation. It's just a narrative from salty Flames fans who are upset that it was a bad signing.

The attitude I was referring to was not the locker room type. Maybe it was, maybe not.

I was referring to his efforts on the ice, giving up on the play, not skating, no back checking. Maybe it’s not attitude, he is simply a bad player.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
For some reason Calgary fans always seem to be hating on the real deal.

how does the saying go again?

“Rent free!”

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Neal was a great team guy / lockerroom guy in Edmonton and from all reports every other team except Calgary. The problem with his “attitude” in Calgary is more so that Calgary has a toxic, clique-like lockerroom lead by assholes like Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad