Speculation: Still Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still Still Still Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would hope Minnesota would be interested in a Brodin for Kovalchuk swap.
Brodin pre expansion, Kovalchuk on July 1.

This isn't happening. The merc has not committed to any contract with a specific team yet, and almost definitely won't by the time of the expansion draft.

The expansion and entry draft are completely irrelevant to any potential deal with The Russian

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Columbus really doesn't have anything interesting that I think they'd trade, plus they have to cut some salary to fit Kovalchuk in without huge difficulty. So if they could do something like Kovalchuk-Cammalleri (Devils retain 25%) for Hartnell-Clarkson-2018 1st-Bjorkstrand? I doubt Columbus goes for that.

According to Capfriendly's cap calculator, Cbus would save $3.25M on next year's cap buying out Hartnell this off-season, so maybe they could just buy him out.

I definitely don't want Ryan Murray, a 2nd overall pick who will always make more money than is justified given his draft position. He had a poor season last year, though he was almost always paired with a lefty. I still would not want to pay the high draft pick premium.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
What does this mean?

CBJ is very interesting, but I'd hope Shero would make them pay a premium. The division thing is a big deal.

It means Fletcher and Kovalchuk agree to a specified contract, pre expansion draft. Since it cannot be signed until July 1, Brodin gets sent to NJ pre expansion draft for future considerations, then on July 1, sign Kovalchuk to that specified contract he had in place with Fletcher, and send him to Minnesota.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'm here without you, Kovy
But you're still on my lonely mind
I think about you, Kovy
And I dream about you all the time
I'm here without you, Kovy

But you're still with me in my dreams
And tonight it's only you and me, yeah.

The miles just keep rollin'
As the people leave their way to say hello
I've heard this life is overrated
But I hope that it gets better as we go, oh, yeah, yeah

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
It means Fletcher and Kovalchuk agree to a specified contract, pre expansion draft. Since it cannot be signed until July 1, Brodin gets sent to NJ pre expansion draft for future considerations, then on July 1, sign Kovalchuk to that specified contract he had in place with Fletcher, and send him to Minnesota.

Bettman would call expansion draft shenanigans (insert Super Troopers reference) on that one, and rightfully so.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Bill Daly on shenanigans:

"There has to be a high level of diligence to make sure those things don't happen and to make sure people know there will be significant penalties imposed if they were to screw around with the rules,'' Daly said.
Daly said violators of the expansion rules forgo a first-round draft pick, so penalties in the same vein would be "appropriate." New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero insisted anyone would be crazy to attempt that type of circumvention.

http://www.tsn.ca/concerns-about-nhl-expansion-draft-emerge-1.609388

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad