OT: Still no winning 50/50?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Man... I just signed up with remax a week before the last draw assuming I was a sure thing.

They must have purposely not chosen a realtor cause they caught on to people catching on!

Reactions: Magnum23

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
All the "A package won again, it's rigged" responses on twitter makes me lose faith in humanity. It's like those math problems on facebook 90% of people get wrong.

The average person is dumber than we think and half the world is dumber than them.

Reactions: Faelko

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
All the "A package won again, it's rigged" responses on twitter makes me lose faith in humanity. It's like those math problems on facebook 90% of people get wrong.

The average person is dumber than we think and half the world is dumber than them.

I was out of town for the 50/50s with no internet. So how were the tickets divyed up. I know football usually had the As for $20 purchases of 10 tickets, Bs for $10 Purchases of (I think) 3 tickets, and Cs for the individual $5 tickets.

Was it similar? If so, naturally way more of the As are out there.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I was out of town for the 50/50s with no internet. So how were the tickets divyed up. I know football usually had the As for $20 purchases of 10 tickets, Bs for $10 Purchases of (I think) 3 tickets, and Cs for the individual $5 tickets.

Was it similar? If so, naturally way more of the As are out there.
Yea A package was the $50 for 200 package. I think it had an 88% chance of winning.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Funny thing, now that his name is public, the #1 google search of his name by curious folks is "Daryl Tyrlik- Remax":laugh:

Reactions: Magnum23

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yea A package was the $50 for 200 package. I think it had an 88% chance of winning.
Which is understandable but still 4 times in a row the A numbers won. What is the percentage of that happening? Seems like only people who could afford the A packages had a real chance to win no?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Which is understandable but still 4 times in a row the A numbers won. What is the percentage of that happening? Seems like only people who could afford the A packages had a real chance to win no?
Uh no that's not how it works, everyone has an equal chance but they sold more A tickets than any other tickets so obviously there's a higher chance of it being drawn. The same reason the $20 tickets at the games aways win. I think they said 88% of the tickets were A tickets?

Reactions: CanmoreMike

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Uh no that's not how it works, everyone has an equal chance but they sold more A tickets than any other tickets so obviously there's a higher chance of it being drawn. The same reason the $20 tickets at the games aways win. I think they said 88% of the tickets were A tickets?
I don’t see how it is an equal chance if you have 88% chance that an A number is drawn.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Great explanation. If A tickets have an 88% chance of been drawn does that not mean all others have a combined 22% chance?
Because there's more of them, let me ELI5 for you.

Say your work runs a 50/50 and sold 10 tickets. 8 employees from department A bought a ticket each and 2 employees from department B bought a ticket each. Do you think there's a higher chance of you winning if you're in department A? No you still have a 10% chance of winning. It just means there's an 80% chance the winner will be from department A.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Because there's more of them, let me ELI5 for you.

Say your work runs a 50/50 and sold 10 tickets. 8 employees from department A bought a ticket each and 2 employees from department B bought a ticket each. Do you think there's a higher chance of you winning if you're in department A? No you still have a 10% chance of winning. It just means there's an 80% chance the winner will be from department A.
Ok that makes more sense when you look at it that way.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

source.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Watching these explanations reminds me of back in the day when all tickets were equal value and I had friends who were adamant about buying tickets from separate vendors thinking that if their numbers weren't consecutive that it increased their odds of winning

I'd always remind them that each ticket was equal and all this did was increase your chances of being close to the winning number and thus more likely to leave them disappointed. Usually they didn't understand.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Watching these explanations reminds me of back in the day when all tickets were equal value and I had friends who were adamant about buying tickets from separate vendors thinking that if their numbers weren't consecutive that it increased their odds of winning

I'd always remind them that each ticket was equal and all this did was increase your chances of being close to the winning number and thus more likely to leave them disappointed. Usually they didn't understand.
Same reason people don't buy 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 on their lottery ticket even though statically that set of numbers has the same odd of winning as any other groups of 7.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

I understand your logic but there is something to be said that if you bought 6 tickets and the first two numbers for each are:

Means when they announce the numbers and begin with “TWO!” you can still be excited and interested in winning rather than ripping all your tickets up and say eff it.

Keeps it more exciting I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad