OT: Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kovalchuk will go wherever the hell we trade him, he has no leverage here. Either that or his ass can sit out of hockey and forfeit a year's worth of pay, and come back on a +35 contract that no GM will give him more than one year on.

Dude thinks he can do whatever he wants, I'm sick of this entitled attitude he has. This is New Jersey's choice, not Kovalchuk's. He he doesn't hold any cards here. If he wants to play in the NHL next season he has to do it on Ray Shero's terms, not Ilya Kovalchuk's.

He made his choice 4 years ago, if he wanted to have his cake and eat it too then he should have thought about that before he quit.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, New York area only makes sense if he has intentions of staying here. Though, maybe he'd want to go to Brooklyn, since he has been seen courtside there at Nets games, and may have ties to their Russian owner. I wouldn't be opposed to completely ripping off Snow, and plundering that organization of any riches they may have.

Are we able to move his rights? Maybe we can move him for the Islanders 15th overall. Drafting in the middle of a "weak" draft may intrigue them to do so. As well as seeing they were on the cusp of a playoff spot this year, so acquiring Kovy would give them confidence that they can be a contender with him.

The islanders are likely moving from barclays, and the owner is selling 49%of the nets....so i doubt he'd go to the islanders

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I honestly wouldn't mind trading Kovalchuk to the Islanders since they have a boat load of interesting prospects like Pulock and Dal Colle. I don't see them moving Barzal but if we are going to "help" the Islanders and provide a legit winger for Tavares, we'll want a heck of a return coming our way.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I would sign him to a one or two year deal, and have him play for us. His value at the trade deadline is better than it will be over the summer if he plays well, which I believe he will, or at least I'd be willing to gamble that he does. Or we might actually be a much better team with him and other offseason acquisitions and make the playoffs.

I also don't buy that that Russian writer has any inside information other than the fact that he wants to play in the NHL next year. The fact that he thinks he might get traded to "NYC" displays a certain tone deafness.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would sign him to a one or two year deal, and have him play for us. His value at the trade deadline is better than it will be over the summer if he plays well, which I believe he will, or at least I'd be willing to gamble that he does. Or we might actually be a much better team with him and other offseason acquisitions and make the playoffs.

I also don't buy that that Russian writer has any inside information other than the fact that he wants to play in the NHL next year. The fact that he thinks he might get traded to "NYC" displays a certain tone deafness.

I don't want Kovalchuk on our roster and here's why.

I'd much rather get a solid package from whoever during the offseason, get some more assets for the future and not go through the Kovalchuk circus 2.0

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

I'd much rather get a solid package from whoever during the offseason, get some more assets for the future and not go through the Kovalchuk circus 2.0

It feels like we're on version 5.0 at this point

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

I don't consider a second round pick a solid asset, so I would hold out for something better. And the more moving parts, the more of a circus it might be.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I don't consider a second round pick a solid asset, so I would hold out for something better. And the more moving parts, the more of a circus it might be.

I think well get more then a 2nd round pick but if that's the best we can get, I'd take it over having Kovy on our roster. The 2018 draft is viewed as a very very strong draft and can help us move back in the 1st or better yet, add in a package to acquire a legit LH dman.

The return doesn't have to help our team as of game #1 of the 2017-18 season. We're not in a sprint, we're in a marathon.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If he is going to try and dictate terms and select a team he wants to play I prob tell him to kick rocks and waste a playing year on him. If im Shero I tell him im trading him to the highest bidder weather they are a contender or not and if he doesnt like it he can go back to Russia or stay with the devils. No way should Shero let him leverage a deal and not maximize a possible return

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If he is going to try and dictate terms and select a team he wants to play I prob tell him to kick rocks and waste a playing year on him. If im Shero I tell him im trading him to the highest bidder weather they are a contender or not and if he doesnt like it he can go back to Russia or stay with the devils. No way should Shero let him leverage a deal and not maximize a possible return

I don't get your point. How does telling him to sit out a full year in order to turn UFA give us the maximum return?

What Shero should and will most probably do is get a list of teams Kovy wants to play for and have some type of bidding war between the teams involved. To me, that's how you'll maximize your return.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't get your point. How does telling him to sit out a full year in order to turn UFA give us the maximum return?

What Shero should and will most probably do is get a list of teams Kovy wants to play for and have some type of bidding war between the teams involved. To me, that's how you'll maximize your return.

Him telling us what teams he will only play for already diminishes the maximum return. At best we get a third rounder out of this deal which you are better off keeping him and trading him at the deadline. You tell him to nut up and play for us or you just wash your hands of the situation. No way he should be allowed to just waltz back into the NHL and pick which team he wants to go to. He had his chance to do that

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Him telling us what teams he will only play for already diminishes the maximum return. At best we get a third rounder out of this deal which you are better off keeping him and trading him at the deadline. You tell him to nut up and play for us or you just wash your hands of the situation. No way he should be allowed to just waltz back into the NHL and pick which team he wants to go to. He had his chance to do that

We have no idea if he even wants to really come back, if he doesn't want to be on the Devils etc.

If he gives you a list of teams, you talk to them and see what they are willing to give you, you go with the best option. If he wants to stay in NJ and has no issue playing for them and they have a big offseason, you keep him. If the team is playing like **** and out of the playoffs, trade him near the deadline.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Kovalchuk will go wherever the hell we trade him, he has no leverage here. Either that or his ass can sit out of hockey and forfeit a year's worth of pay, and come back on a +35 contract that no GM will give him more than one year on.

Dude thinks he can do whatever he wants, I'm sick of this entitled attitude he has. This is New Jersey's choice, not Kovalchuk's. He he doesn't hold any cards here. If he wants to play in the NHL next season he has to do it on Ray Shero's terms, not Ilya Kovalchuk's.

He made his choice 4 years ago, if he wanted to have his cake and eat it too then he should have thought about that before he quit.

You kind of contradicted yourself here. He does have leverage. We likely have the opportunity to gain a somewhat significant return for him depending on what his market looks like. Radulov showed what's possible. That's arguably what's opened the door to this in the first place. I don't think for one second we're going to break the bank moving him, but I also think its going to be more than a mid round pick in 2018 or some cast off, especially since his preferred destinations all have cap concerns. We could easily gain a piece that significantly impacts our future positively.

Obviously, we owe him nothing, but he has to sign here in the first place for us to trade him. Its basically a free asset and possibly a significant one. It's worth exploring. Sure, make him suffer and sit out a year. It does nothing for us though. He gets exactly what he wants soon enough.

There's also a chance we sign him and keep him or fob him off at the deadline. He's healthy. And he's still a damn good player even if he is a bit of a primadonna.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Has Shero said he does not intend on signing and keeping him?

Shero hasn't commented on it, but just about every connected reporter has been saying (or hinting) this is a sign-and-trade.

I'm not sure if it's speculation or inside knowledge, but there seems to be too many saying it for there not to be something behind it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Shero hasn't commented on it, but just about every connected reporter has been saying (or hinting) this is a sign-and-trade.

I'm not sure if it's speculation or inside knowledge, but there seems to be too many saying it for there not to be something behind it.

It also makes sense. He is older and we aren't ready to contend.

Only reason to come back is to try and win a cup ASAP. That isn't happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad