Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Part 2!

From like ten minutes ago:

Kovalrules for this offseason:

-Kovalchuk cannot sign until July 1 at earliest.

-His rights cannot be traded.

-He can either sign with the Devils, try to sign with another team if 30 other GMs think its okay (spoiler, they won't), or wait until next year and be a TRUE UFA.

The options of Kovalchuk this summer are:

-Sign and play with the Devils.

-Sign with the Devils and then be traded ("sign-and-trade").

-Do whatever he wants outside the NHL and sign anywhere in the NHL next summer (2018).

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He also can't sign anywhere till July 1 so expansion draft trades like Fowler are out of the question.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, New York area only makes sense if he has intentions of staying here. Though, maybe he'd want to go to Brooklyn, since he has been seen courtside there at Nets games, and may have ties to their Russian owner. I wouldn't be opposed to completely ripping off Snow, and plundering that organization of any riches they may have.

Are we able to move his rights? Maybe we can move him for the Islanders 15th overall. Drafting in the middle of a "weak" draft may intrigue them to do so. As well as seeing they were on the cusp of a playoff spot this year, so acquiring Kovy would give them confidence that they can be a contender with him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

If there is truth to that, the one offer that really interested me from the trade board (and is semi-realistic) was Bjugstad + 2nd for Kovalchuk. I'd probably do it for Bjugstad straight up to be honest.

It's a bit of a risk for the Devils with Bjugstad being signed through 20/21 at 4.1 million and having injury/performance issues the last couple years, but I think it's one we could be willing to take. Bjugstad is 6'6" RHD center who is still only 24 so the upside could be huge. Worst case scenario, you get a strong third line center with size.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
There's zero shot we trade him anywhere in NY unless it's Buffalo lol

Florida seems like it would be possible, but we'd definitely have to take salary back from the Panthers or Lightning to do it, if they'd even want him. I could see a situation where the Panthers replace Jagr with Kovy, but I dunno who we'd take back in salary or if the salary would be low enough where we could fit him. Certainly not Demers .

Something like Matheson, Petrovic or Psysk + a decent pick (at least a 2nd) for Kovy would be a good return though.

If it was the Lightning I dont think they'd want him considering their salary situation and FL would have to make it work with Ekblad's contract kicking in.

If there is truth to that, the one offer that really interested me from the trade board (and is semi-realistic) was Bjugstad + 2nd for Kovalchuk. I'd probably do it for Bjugstad straight up to be honest.

It's a bit of a risk for the Devils with Bjugstad being signed through 20/21 at 4.1 million and having injury/performance issues the last couple years, but I think it's one we could be willing to take. Bjugstad is 6'6" RHD center who is still only 24 so the upside could be huge. Worst case scenario, you get a strong third line center with size.

I don't think we'd get Bjugstad for him, but yeah easy yes. 3-4 years is swallowable.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Florida seems like it would be possible, but we'd definitely have to take salary back from the Panthers or Lightning to do it, if they'd even want him. I could see a situation where the Panthers replace Jagr with Kovy, but I dunno who we'd take back in salary or if the salary would be low enough where we could fit him. Certainly not Demers .

Something like Matheson, Petrovic or Psysk + a decent pick (at least a 2nd) for Kovy would be a good return though.

If it was the Lightning I dont think they'd want him considering their salary situation and FL would have to make it work with Ekblad's contract kicking in.

I don't think we'd get Bjugstad for him, but yeah easy yes. 3-4 years is swallowable.

Bjugstad is approaching cap dump territory, he scored 14 points last year and can't stay healthy. At over 4 million a year he's got little to no value right now, I wouldn't want him as part of the return for a Kovalchuk trade.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bjugstad is approaching cap dump territory, he scored 14 points last year and can't stay healthy. At over 4 million a year he's got little to no value right now, I wouldn't want him as part of the return for a Kovalchuk trade.

I think that's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Worst case scenario, you pay Bjugstad to play 3C/3RW. Best case scenario, he gains some of his play back and you have a high-end 2C with size.

Bjugstad + 2nd has the potential to be a hell of a deal for a 34 year old Kovalchuk, especially if he doesn't have any interest in staying here.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

Well then yeah, thats a no.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think that's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Worst case scenario, you pay Bjugstad to play 3C/3RW. Best case scenario, he gains some of his play back and you have a high-end 2C with size.

I don't think we need another center; Patrick, McLeod, Zacha, Zajac and Henrique is more than enough.

Bjugstad isn't good on the wing and right now he's extremely injury prone and producing like a 4th liner. He's essentially a cap dump at this point, we should stay well away from him, he's no better than what we have.

Any Kovalchuk deal with Florida should start with either their 10th overall pick or a young defender like Matheson or Petrovic. Perhaps try and squeeze a B-tier prospect such as Hawryluk out of them too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think we need another center; Patrick, McLeod, Zacha, Zajac and Henrique is more than enough.

Bjugstad isn't good on the wing and right now he's extremely injury prone and producing like a 4th liner. He's essentially a cap dump at this point, we should stay well away from him. He's no better than what we have.

Any Kovalchuk deal with Florida should start with either their 10th overall pick or a young defender like Matheson or Petrovic. Perhaps try and squeeze a B-tier prospect such as Hawryluk out of them too.

We're not getting #10 for him. First off, he can't be traded before July 1st (earliest he can sign) and secondly, the Panthers aren't giving up that high of a pick for Kovalchuk. Matheson is going nowhere after how he looked last year. Pysyk/Petrovic could be had but that might change depending on who they lose in the expansion draft. I'd rather take the chance on Bjugstad than take a guy like Hawryluk too.

Bjugstad could be the safety gauge at 3C for the Devils. I take that risk since it doesn't affect us cap-wise and hope he goes back to the way he was trending. He's had some injury issues, but if he puts it together, he could be a dominant 2C with his size.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah draft day and expansion draft deals for Kovy are dead.

He can't sign until July 1st so any deal will involve 2018 picks and potential cap causalities.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

He can't sign until July 1st so any deal will involve 2018 picks and potential cap causalities.

Maybe we should amend the first post with these factors.

Can't be signed until July 1st. Must be sign and trade.

Seems like it ends up being brought back up every three pages.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
We're not getting #10 for him. First off, he can't be traded before July 1st (earliest he can sign) and secondly, the Panthers aren't giving up that high of a pick for Kovalchuk. Matheson is going nowhere after how he looked last year. Pysyk/Petrovic could be had but that might change depending on who they lose in the expansion draft. I'd rather take the chance on Bjugstad than take a guy like Hawryluk too.

Bjugstad could be the safety gauge at 3C for the Devils. I take that risk since it doesn't affect us cap-wise and hope he goes back to the way he was trending. He's had some injury issues, but if he puts it together, he could be a dominant 2C with his size.

I was unaware that he was restricted from signing until July 1st, that's my mistake. However value wise I defend that is not an unreasonable ask, Kovalchuk is going to have serious value considering how poor the UFA class is this year.

I don't know if you saw Bjugstad play this year, but he was a disaster. He put up 14 points in 54 games, he's no more viable of an option at 2/3C than Jacob Josefson (10 points in 38 games) and he's earning over 4 million a year.

Florida desperately wants to rid themselves of that contract, he came into the league and performed well for a short while, but he hasn't been good for two years now and more importantly he can't seem to stay healthy.

Even at his best he's a 40 point guy, for 4.1 million a year i'll pass. If McLeod/Patrick/Zacha aren't ready for center duties we still have Zajac & Henrique, if need be we can sign a band-aid center for a year in free agency. I have zero interest in committing that kind of money to a mediocre player like Bjugstad.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"Florida" could also mean Tampa.

Unless there's something I missed.

If Kovalchuk can get signed to a reasonable deal.. say, 2 years $8-10M.. I wonder if Tampa would be interested in a package for one of their RFAs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I'd like to see a confirmation from an authoritative source he can't sign before July 1st, though I believe that's correct.

Bob McKenzie has confirmed his rights can't be traded.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
"Florida" could also mean Tampa.

Unless there's something I missed.

If Kovalchuk can get signed to a reasonable deal.. say, 2 years $8-10M.. I wonder if Tampa would be interested in a package for one of their RFAs.

There may be something in taking on a cap dump from either team.

Florida just seems like the team that would be able to fit him in better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad