Prospect Info: STI 2021 Preliminary Draft Rankings (4/21)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
None of our dumbasses our worth all this typing yet Steve types out all of this high quality scouting coverage for us free of charge. The big dope.

Edit: That’s good natured ribbing btw. (I don’t want bite the hand that feeds lol.)

Dude, all my friends and I do is make fun of each other. I grew up in New Jersey, remember?

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
There are some similarities. The court will allow it, haha.

pfew, excellent! Thought I would have schmooze the jury.

On the subject of NJD’s draft needs, RD and scoring LW stand out but after that would you say C is an under rated need? Easy to overlook with the top duo of Nico/Jack but after that it’s Mikey, JBo, Malts, Pytlik and not much else. Possibly Goalie is another need.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Just finished the USA 2-1 shootout win vs. Czech Republic. Not a very impressive game for the USA, who clearly lack some of the firepower of recent teams with players like Hughes, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy etc. But also, kudos to the Czechs who were terrific and stifling, as well as being physical and high-compete.

Notes on Czech:
It's getting harder and harder to invent reasons to leave LD Stanislav Svozil out of your top 20 rankings for the 2021 draft. He was simply tremendous defensively, impressive with his breakouts and outlets and made several good pinches in the offensive zone which led to scoring opportunities. His breathtaking move in overtime which almost won the Czechs the game -- he hit the post -- was just tremendous. Similarly, we should start talking very soon about where to rank RD David Jiricek -- he's big, fast and physical and just an impact player in all three zones. As a team, the Czechs were outstanding defensively, though they are going to need to find a way to develop more dynamic forwards if they hope to return to the days of winning international tournaments.

Notes on USA:
Again, I'll start with the D. Sean Behrens was just outstanding -- breaking up odd-man rushes, diving to block shots, creating offense, you name it. The 5'9 rearguard even laid out the biggest hit of the game -- a highlight-reel bone crusher which sent a much bigger opponent flying. I don't care how tall he is, this kid should be gone by the top half of the second round. A completely different smaller defenseman who also excelled was 5'6 Lane Hutson, who is so quick and nifty with the puck he almost looks like he's playing a video game. His assist on the game-tying goal was phenomenal and his shootout goal iced the victory. I'm curious where he will be ranked when his draft year comes around in 2022. Sasha Pastujov showed why he is so dangerous... and also so maddening. As the most talented offensive player on USA, you'd like him to take over the game on more of his shifts. However, his goal was beautiful and his passing in space is simply gorgeous. Red Savage was a beast in the face-off circle and played outstanding two-way hockey. Dylan Duke and Justin Janicke were ferocious in their compete level and forechecking, giving the Czechs fits down low all game long.
Janicke should be a first round pick off that name alone.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

On the subject of NJD’s draft needs, RD and scoring LW stand out but after that would you say C is an under rated need? Easy to overlook with the top duo of Nico/Jack but after that it’s Mikey, JBo, Malts, Pytlik and not much else. Possibly Goalie is another need.

Mercer could be a center. Not sure where he fits best yet. But yeah, we could definitely use some C depth... just probably not 1st round quality though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Mercer could be a center. Not sure where he fits best yet. But yeah, we could definitely use some C depth... just probably not 1st round quality though.

I think Mercer ends up on the wing but I'd prefer him as a great 3C rather than a good top 6 wing

Reactions: TheDuke93

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Yep, I agree center depth is a priority. Several players could be available in the 2nd/3rd rounds of interest here -- Brett Harrison, Dylan Duke, Red Savage, Peter Reynolds and Oliver Kapanen are all centers I really like who could be available in that range.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I like Mercer as our top prospect on the wing. I just think he would mesh so well with Hughes, while also being able to help out in the face-off circle and in the defensive zone.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I would say it’s actually first round quality that we do need. We have quantity with all the guys mentioned but we don’t seem to have a good 3C for the future unless Mercer ends up at C. So we need a top quality surefire prospect and you can’t really get that outside of the first round. We have bigger needs(eg. RD), the guys we already have can fill in there and it’s the kind of thing that could be addressed outside of the draft through FA or trade when the time is right but if there’s a good option available with the Isles pick and we take it I won’t complain.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If we go D with our pick, I don't think taking a C with the Isles pick is a bad idea.

We do need some prospect depth there and worst comes to worst they can be moved to wing.
We have depth(McLeod, Maltsev, Boqvist, Thompson?, Pytlik). Lots of guys who could be 4th line centers, we just need a legit good 3rd line center after Hughes and Hischier and it’s hard to find that as you get past the 1st round. Maybe that’s Mercer but I like him as a potential top 6 winger. How they see Mercer really affects what position’s I think they should draft.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
If we go D with our pick, I don't think taking a C with the Isles pick is a bad idea.

We do need some prospect depth there and worst comes to worst they can be moved to wing.
Do we though?

Nico Jack Mikey for the next long while

Id put emphasis on scoring wingers and defensively strong/good skating dmen who are 6'0" or bigger (thick thighs are a must)

:hockey:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Forgot about Mercer since I always see him as a RW. 2nd round on would like to see some two-way potential Cs get drafted.
If Fitz doesn’t actually talk about what they plan to do with Mercer we’ll learn if and when he’s playing center in the AHL. He’s not starting off at center in the NHL, I mean anything is theoretically possible but it’s real hard to as a rookie, so that’s where he would have to learn. I assume Fitz will talk publicly about their plans for Mercer though, Fitz loves talking about the kids.

I have no idea what they will do with Mercer, if he can turn into a high end third line center that would be amazing but that would take time and it’s a harder, longer road than throwing him someone’s RW.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
If Fitz doesn’t actually talk about what they plan to do with Mercer we’ll learn if and when he’s playing center in the AHL. He’s not starting off at center in the NHL, I mean anything is theoretically possible but it’s real hard to as a rookie, so that’s where he would have to learn. I assume Fitz will talk publicly about their plans for Mercer though, Fitz loves talking about the kids.

I have no idea what they will do with Mercer, if he can turn into a high end third line center that would be amazing but that would take time and it’s a harder, longer road than throwing him someone’s RW.
I think Mercer has the talent to be a very good top 6 wing but him playing center is very intriguing still. I think we potentially have the horses to have 3 strong lines with scoring potential if these kids hit. @Hisch13r mentioned to me his idea of a top 9 that I agree would be strong.

Foote-Hughes-Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Koukkanen-Mercer-Sharangovich

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I would say it’s actually first round quality that we do need. We have quantity with all the guys mentioned but we don’t seem to have a good 3C for the future unless Mercer ends up at C. So we need a top quality surefire prospect and you can’t really get that outside of the first round. We have bigger needs(eg. RD), the guys we already have can fill in there and it’s the kind of thing that could be addressed outside of the draft through FA or trade when the time is right but if there’s a good option available with the Isles pick and we take it I won’t complain.
I'm thinking Mercer could make a good 3C, but that's with the hope that Clarke can force his way into 2RW duties behind Holtz. It also depends on what you want from the 3rd line. You could go with a traditional shutdown line, in which case I could actually see Boqvist growing into the role. If you want to go 3 scoring lines and 1 "energy" line, I think your only choice is Mercer, as I'm not confident in Boqvist's or Maltsev's scoring ability.

As of right now, if all goes perfectly (which never happens) in a couple years I'm imagining a 3rd line with Shara/Mercer/Kuok while top 6 would be Hughes, Nico, Foote, Bratt, Holtz, Clarke mixed and matched.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I'm thinking Mercer could make a good 3C, but that's with the hope that Clarke can force his way into 2RW duties behind Holtz. It also depends on what you want from the 3rd line. You could go with a traditional shutdown line, in which case I could actually see Boqvist growing into the role. If you want to go 3 scoring lines and 1 "energy" line, I think your only choice is Mercer, as I'm not confident in Boqvist's or Maltsev's scoring ability.

As of right now, if all goes perfectly (which never happens) in a couple years I'm imagining a 3rd line with Shara/Mercer/Kuok while top 6 would be Hughes, Nico, Foote, Bratt, Holtz, Clarke mixed and matched.
Am I the only one that hates the idea of a traditional shutdown line?

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I’m with you. If there’s ever going to be a traditional shutdown line where you expect little to no offense then I think it should be the 4th line. All 3 top lines need to be able to produce

Reactions: TheDuke93

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No, but I'm not sure we have the 3C to handle that role. Like I said, closet I feel we have is Boqvist. Maybe he can do it. I can see Sharang on a shutdown 3rd. Not sure who we'd slot into the RW though. Maybe Sharang/Boqvist/Mercer? *Shrug*

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I’m with you. If there’s ever going to be a traditional shutdown line where you expect little to no offense then I think it should be the 4th line. All 3 top lines need to be able to produce
Exactly, playing strength on strength is the way to go. If you have elite two way forward that might be your "checking line." If you only have two lines built to score you sink and swim with 6 guys.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I don’t think Boqvist will ever be good enough to be to be a 3C and don’t think he’s a good shutdown player at all. Hoping for Clarke to be a top 6 forward is a bit ambitious IMO but not something that’s impossible and I’m not completely convinced Foote will get there either. I see Mercer as a top 6 right wing and think we might still need a good LW as well as a 3C. If Mercer is the 3C I think we still need a good RW. At LW I see Foote, Zacha, and Sharangovich as potential top 6 players. Bratt’s already penciled in and if Zacha continues this seasons level of production as a winger I think it’s fair to call him a top 6 forward. Sharangovich has had good production as rookie but I don’t see it getting much better and he doesn’t really have a top 6 skillset IMO but we’ll see how he turns out.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LD Dmitri Kuzmin, Dinamo-Melodechmo, BELARUS

Okay, so people need to start paying more attention to Belarus. For Devils fans, this is already a reality -- with Yegor Sharangovich as one of the top 3 rookie forwards in the NHL. As the current U18 tournament has clearly shown, Sharangovich is far from alone being a huge hockey talent from his homeland.

Much of the attention Kuzmin has received has been the result of one spectacular goal. But boy, was it a spectacular goal:

Though the "lacrosse goal" has been attempted more and more in recent years, I'm not sure I've ever seen a defenseman pull it off. But Kuzmin does not seem to be just any defenseman. He's certainly a "new age" defender -- undersized at 5'11-175 and always, always looking to join the offense. His skills are undeniable -- this is a kid with elite hands -- maybe just below Clarke and Hughes in the 2021 D class and about equivalent to Edvinsson. He is also an explosive skater -- effortlessly accelerating or changing speeds on a hair, displaying outstanding agility and edge-work. The combination of his skating and puck-handling might only trail Luke Hughes among all LD in the entire 2021 draft.

But Kuzmin is not simply a "4th forward" on the blueline sacrificing team play for the benefit of his own statistics like a Poirier or Grans in 2020. Kuzmin is driven by an intensely high motor in all three zones, and he plays with as much aggression and high pace in the defensive zone as he does in the offensive one. He is not simply a "smaller transitional defenseman", but rather a three-zone threat who is as frenetic in closing gaps and shutting the daylight out of passing lanes as he is in joining the offensive rush to create odd-man advantages. He is a precise passer and displays consistent intelligence and awareness.

Now, despite my excitement over the emergence of this young talent, we should not get ahead of ourselves. Kuzmin is never going to be a physical force or a shut-down staple in the defensive zone. He needs to work on his strength. Though he shows a strong core in possession of the puck to shield off defenders, without the puck he is certainly in need of more power in his frame, as he can be bodied out of puck battles in the dirty areas. But what I like is that none of this is from a lack of effort or courage -- like Andy Behrens for Team USA, this is a kid who leaves it all on the ice, every shift. He's a creative and fun offensive player with some truly dynamic skills with the puck.

Dmitri Kuzmin has not been given attention by almost any scouting bureau or major draft writer, making him a strong bet for the steal of the 2021 NHL Draft. Will a team take a chance on him the second round? Will he be drafted at all? This is very difficult to predict. Dobberprospects has him listed as the #98 prospect overall. Nobody else has him ranked anywhere. Kuzmin will certainly be in my top 50 or so -- just because I feel his skating/puckhandling/passing/compete combo are special.

The Devils do not have a player like Dmitri Kuzmin in the prospect pool. Though the Devils are very strong and deep at LD, they lack an offensively dynamic player at the position. There are still a lot of questions as he has played his entire amateur career in the very low-profile Belarus system, but as the U18 tournament has shown, he has absolutely electrifying talent with the puck and is better than most of this type of player without the puck. Quite simply, Dmitri Kuzmin should be on the short-list for steal of the 2021 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad