Prospect Info: STI 2021 Preliminary Draft Rankings (4/21)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’d take Hughes over Clarke but there’s not a huge difference between them. I am certain I would not take Power over either and I wouldn’t even take Power over some of the forwards like Beniers or Eklund. Thankfully Power will almost certainly be gone

The Devils could certainly find themselves drafting in the top 4, and if this were to happen Power would certainly be near the top of their wish list. In a draft with no consensus #1, there is certainly a chance Power could be available to them in any top 4 slot. Though Power is the player in this draft least likely to fall past the top 2 -- 6'6 two-way defensemen who skate well with high hockey IQs are rare -- the possibility of such a player being available to the Devils and being passed on seem remote to me.

Thus, in my opinion, if Power is available anywhere the Devils pick, he will be their pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LD Jeremy Hanzel, Seattle WHL

This is not a player I've seen a lot of, as he recently was signed by the Thunderbirds out of the little-known BCU18 league and has yet to play his 20th game in the WHL. But as I'm trying to write up all the draft-worthy players in the WHL (especially defensemen), I felt the need to include Jeremy Hanzel.

Jeremy Hanzel is as under the radar as it gets. I've only seen him ranked or discussed by one single resource (FC Hockey). He certainly needs some refinement of his defensive game, so I'm not going to get into that. But I see a player with a potentially high development arc. Hanzel skates very well, and has excellent hands and offensive instincts. When he gets the puck in space, he is consistently dangerous. In the offensive zone, he is always looking for opportunities to pinch and help his forwards. He is very good in transition, whether it be with a sharp outlet pass or by deking an opposing forechecker out of his skates and rushing the puck up ice himself.

Damn the pandemic, because this is a kid I would have liked to get more experience at the WHL level. He might go undrafted this year and gain a great deal of attention as an overager in the 2022 draft. But I do think that if you're in the 7th round and no one left on your draft board is really jumping out at you, Jeremy Hanzel is certainly a young player with intriguing potential as a slick transitional defender who can create offense.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LD Cole Jordan, Moose Jaw WHL

This young defenseman stood out to me whenever I turned on Moose Jaw to research Ryder Korczak. He's an easy player to like. Cole Jordan is your meat and potatoes D-man with all the requisite skills to succeed in the modern NHL. He's a very good skater, especially when you factor in he has nice size at 6'2-200. In fact, his tools across the board are quite decent, I'd say he's at least above average in any category I could think of.

There are two reasons you draft Cole Jordan: for his terrific defense and his intriguing but tough-to-pinpoint upside. Even playing on a weak Warriors team, Jordan is a consistent stand-out for his defensive play. His size, strength, mobility and work ethic make him a constant snuff-out to opposing scoring chances. He keeps solid gaps and is pretty good with positioning, but is otherwise raw. Jordan shows great instincts, however, and is very good at winning one-on-one battles.

Cole Jordan does not take offensive chances. He plays a very conservative, maybe even overly responsible game. As I have often spoken about this year, this is to the actual detriment of his draft status. While defenders who will sacrifice team results for individual statistics find their highlights played and replayed by draft writers everywhere, the Cole Jordans can often find themselves utterly ignored by the draft community. All he does is get out the lunch-pail, work his tail off as the runaway best defender on a team which is routinely out-shot and out-chanced, and repeat.

I feel this is a player who, a half decade down the road, could turn out to be an excellent pro defender who is better offensively than anyone realizes. It is easy to like his shot, puckhandling and passing ability. His understanding of the game needs to be expanded, as he takes his role seriously as Moose Jaw's shut-down guy and does not attempt much more. But this is a player with development potential.

Jordan's size and skating combo have likely gotten the attention of NHL scouts. I feel he is a very intriguing draft prospect for the later rounds of the 2021 draft. I found a nice highlight of him in a rare opportunity to show off his offensive appeal.

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
2021 Draft Profile:

RD Jack Matier, Ottawa OHL

This is another player who has been severely hurt in his draft standing by the pandemic. A 6'4-205 defenseman who skates very well and plays good defense, Matier's big questions involved his offensive abilities, as he plays a very conservative game, generally speaking. Though his outlet passing is precise and effective, this is not a player to take chances in the offensive zone, and probably not a player who will put up big numbers at the NHL level.

Much of my 2021 draft writing has been of a philosophical nature about defensemen. I like to call it the "Brock Faber Argument". Because a defenseman is excellent in every aspect of the defensive game but does not take chances on offense which could lead to opponents' scoring opportunities, does that make him a lesser player? Is a player who sacrifices team results for his own statistics somehow a superior player? Many draft analysts and writers would seem to think so. They are drawn to highlight reel plays and ignore mistakes leading to goals against as simply: "oh, but you can teach defense".

I strongly disagree. I saw a lot of Jack Matier with Ottawa last year while keeping tabs on players like Marco Rossi and Jack Quinn. Offensively, he did not do much. He totaled 0 goals and 9 assists in 56 games, statistics which look even worse when you realize that he played on a team with just a ridiculous amount of scoring talent. But do the stats tell the story?

Matier's strongest offensive tool, for example, is the fact that he has a blast for a slap shot. Then, how do we process the fact that he played an entire OHL season on an elite offensive machine without scoring a single goal? Well, he did not play at all on the PP, and he was generally relied on for his defensive play. I think this was a role he took seriously.

A full season in the OHL on a strong Ottawa 67's team could have certainly improved Matier's draft standing. He would have seen more offensive opportunities, and for some reason this seems to be the hallmark of how modern defense prospects are evaluated. As it stands, Matier is nowhere near the top 100 on any draft ranking which I have seen.

Jack Matier could be a very good sleeper candidate for the final few rounds of the 2021 draft. RD with his combination of size and skating ability are very uncommon, and when you factor in his strong defensive play and excellent shooting ability, it's a bit weird that he does not seem to be on anyone's draft radar. The Devils are desperate at the position of RD and have certainly seen a lot of Matier with the plethora of players they have drafted out of Ottawa. Thus, this is certainly a player they are aware of, and could benefit from the drafting of.
Oh wow, very detailed response. Not sure my dumbass is worth all that typing up but I appreciate it a lot.

would like to snag him with one of our later picks; would the fifth round be too early for him?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just watched the Canada Latvia game
Some of my thoughts:

Clarke looked good again. Very few errors in his game but could be a little stronger in battles on a couple occasions and definitely could’ve been stronger on Latvia’s goal as the guy outmuscled him for positioning out front and he wasn’t able to tie up his stick. That should improve as he puts more muscle on and definitely isn’t something to worry about.
He had a lot of good plays throughout the game. One of my favourite plays of the game was a 2on1 he took right at the start of the second. Could not have played it any better. Had perfect positioning and took the pass away while closing in on the guy, got a stick on the puck knocking it away and then ran the guy over to put a cherry on top.

My favourite forward for Canada has been Mctavish. I’ve loved his game. He’s a lot quicker of a skater than I previously thought. He looks like one of the better skaters out there, fast in a straight line with quick feet and edges. He’s also strong, has a good shot and plays a smart responsible game. Had a nice assist against Latvia

I doubt he will get there but if he gets to the Islanders pick I like him as an option. It’s not our biggest need but I think he’d be a safe bet to be a really good 2way third line center who can score behind Hughes and Hischier. Has good second line center potential. That would be a center group to die for and I’m not sure we’ve found a 3rd C for the future yet unless Mercer ends up at C. Don’t think McLeod has it.

Guenther has been a bit disappointing, hasn’t been bad and has had some decent plays but hasn’t able to have that much of an effect on the games overall or create much offence. He’s had some turnovers and just hasn’t done much to standout or really look like a top 5 pick. Did score against Latvia but that was mostly McTavish and he just had to finish his back door feed. Can still see that he’s got good skill and skates pretty well. Means absolutely nothing as it’s only two games but hopefully he shows more as the tournament goes on.

Another player that has stood out to me last night and in the other game was Chase Stillman. Not that big of a guy(5’11”) but he’s been throwing the body around quite a bit and quite successfully. He moves pretty well, has good puck skills and is good on the forecheck. Almost seems like a Palmieri type of player without as good of goalscoring. Not too big but can play physical, forecheck, win some battles and then has some speed and skill to go with it.

Stillman would definitely be a reach at the Islanders 1st round pick but if he’s
available with their second round pick I like him as an option. Likely not a top 6 forward but more of a 3rd line or good 4th line guy at worst who brings skill and grit.

Like Wyatt Johnston as well. Should be lots of interesting options for that second round pick.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
How does Power compare to some other tall 1st round defensive prospects like Oleksiak, Hedman, Myers, Coburn, etc.?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
How does Power compare to some other tall 1st round defensive prospects like Oleksiak, Hedman, Myers, Coburn, etc.?

Ryan Suter is one Ive seen and heard but.. the only thing Im a scout for is the girls cookies around April
I don’t know where you heard that one. Ryan Suter isn’t near as big as the players mentioned and Power is a much better skater.

The easiest comparison for Power is just a not as good version of Hedman.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Oh wow, very detailed response. Not sure my dumbass is worth all that typing up but I appreciate it a lot.

would like to snag him with one of our later picks; would the fifth round be too early for him?

No. Jack Matier is a 6'4-205 RD who skates well and plays good defense. Therefore, he's a good pick anywhere in the bottom three rounds regardless of the uncertainty surrounding him in a bizarre draft year.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just watched the Canada Latvia game
Some of my thoughts:

Clarke looked good again. Very few errors in his game but could be a little stronger in battles on a couple occasions and definitely could’ve been stronger on Latvia’s goal as the guy outmuscled him for positioning out front and he wasn’t able to tie up his stick. That should improve as he puts more muscle on and definitely isn’t something to worry about.
He had a lot of good plays throughout the game. One of my favourite plays of the game was a 2on1 he took right at the start of the second. Could not have played it any better. Had perfect positioning and took the pass away while closing in on the guy, got a stick on the puck knocking it away and then ran the guy over to put a cherry on top.

My favourite forward for Canada has been Mctavish. I’ve loved his game. He’s a lot quicker of a skater than I previously thought. He looks like one of the better skaters out there, fast in a straight line with quick feet and edges. He’s also strong, has a good shot and plays a smart responsible game. Had a nice assist against Latvia

I doubt he will get there but if he gets to the Islanders pick I like him as an option. It’s not our biggest need but I think he’d be a safe bet to be a really good 2way third line center who can score behind Hughes and Hischier. Has good second line center potential. That would be a center group to die for and I’m not sure we’ve found a 3rd C for the future yet unless Mercer ends up at C. Don’t think McLeod has it.

Guenther has been a bit disappointing, hasn’t been bad and has had some decent plays but hasn’t able to have that much of an effect on the games overall or create much offence. He’s had some turnovers and just hasn’t done much to standout or really look like a top 5 pick. Did score against Latvia but that was mostly McTavish and he just had to finish his back door feed. Can still see that he’s got good skill and skates pretty well. Means absolutely nothing as it’s only two games but hopefully he shows more as the tournament goes on.

Another player that has stood out to me last night and in the other game was Chase Stillman. Not that big of a guy(5’11”) but he’s been throwing the body around quite a bit and quite successfully. He moves pretty well, has good puck skills and is good on the forecheck. Almost seems like a Palmieri type of player without as good of goalscoring. Not too big but can play physical, forecheck, win some battles and then has some speed and skill to go with it.

Stillman would definitely be a reach at the Islanders 1st round pick but if he’s
available with their second round pick I like him as an option. Likely not a top 6 forward but more of a 3rd line or good 4th line guy at worst who brings skill and grit.

Like Wyatt Johnston as well. Should be lots of interesting options for that second round pick.

McTavish has seriously improved his skating this year. He's never going to be a burner, but he's at least decent in that respect right now, and the rest of his game is simply phenomenal. I believe he projects more at LW at the NHL level than C, but that's certainly open to debate. He's a power player and a sniper, I'd love to see him alongside Hughes. Unfortunately for NJ, his improvements have likely made him a pick in the #10-#15 range, which is out of the Devils current draft jurisdiction.

I'm going to write up Chase Stillman in the next week or two, I really like him as well. A real old school power forward with some intriguing offensive capabilities. I'm paying close attention to Johnston, as certain scouts really love him and we haven't had much of a chance to see him play this year due to this awful pandemic.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Power is not as advanced as Hedman in his draft year. Hedman was already playing great defensive hockey and putting up significant offensive numbers for Modo of the SHL in his draft-eligible campaign.

But Power is clearly superior to the other three players you named. Myers was very raw when Buffalo drafted him out of Kelowna, but he had a ridiculous size/skating combo which vaulted him to the first round based on projection. Coburn was very good defensively for the Portland Winterhawks, but Atlanta pretty much knew when they drafted him that he would never put up big offensive numbers at the NHL level. He was drafted to be a shut-down type defenseman. The same could be said for Jamie Oleksiak, who was drafted 14th overall out of the USHL despite only totaling 2 goals in 2 seasons.

It would be foolhardy to project Power as capable of the 70+point seasons which Hedman has achieved. But, in my opinion, Hedman is currently the best all-around defenseman in the world -- so this is a very tough peak to climb. I think Power is certainly capable of playing the elite brand of defensive play of a Hedman -- which is far superior to Oleksiak, Myers and Coburn, who were all drafted with defense in mind. Also, Power should be able to easily out-pace the offensive numbers of the other three -- I think the idea that Power will be a perennial 40+point D-man is very, very realistic.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
McTavish has seriously improved his skating this year. He's never going to be a burner, but he's at least decent in that respect right now, and the rest of his game is simply phenomenal. I believe he projects more at LW at the NHL level than C, but that's certainly open to debate. He's a power player and a sniper, I'd love to see him alongside Hughes. Unfortunately for NJ, his improvements have likely made him a pick in the #10-#15 range, which is out of the Devils current draft jurisdiction.

I'm going to write up Chase Stillman in the next week or two, I really like him as well. A real old school power forward with some intriguing offensive capabilities. I'm paying close attention to Johnston, as certain scouts really love him and we haven't had much of a chance to see him play this year due to this awful pandemic.
I don't understand why everyone projects McTavish as a wing, I would love an explanation for this because I truly don't understand, If the Devils were picking outside the top 10 he would be my #1 target.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I don't understand why everyone projects McTavish as a wing, I would love an explanation for this because I truly don't understand, If the Devils were picking outside the top 10 he would be my #1 target.
I agree with this, especially with his seemingly improved skating. He looks like much more of a center to me and I can picture him playing C in the NHL.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Thoughts on Zach Bolduc? I've seen him projected to go in the mid-first round to as low as the late-second round. Seems like a good target with the Isles pick, if we wind up with a Dman at our first pick.

I think he's got some good wheels, hands, can score dirty goals, and also finds soft areas in coverage. Just basing this off a couple highlight videos. He seems to pass very well below the goal line too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No. Jack Matier is a 6'4-205 RD who skates well and plays good defense. Therefore, he's a good pick anywhere in the bottom three rounds regardless of the uncertainty surrounding him in a bizarre draft year.

NJ should be targeting this exact sort of player for later picks. Sort of backfilling the RD prospect pool similar to the Vuk and Ok type of picks. Strong skating defenders that may have some offensive upside but you draft them to play defense and hopefully transition the puck effectively. Hopefully NJ walks away from this draft with picks like this in all the later rounds.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm now in the third period of watching the tape of the Canada v. Sweden game... Canada currently ahead 10-1.

Notes on Sweden:
Not much to like here. This would be a different team with William Eklund in the line-up, but this is still a preposterously bad showing. For the second major tourney in a row, the Swedes are showing how thin they are at D and center. The only Swedish defenseman who has not been completely bent over in this contest is Anton Olsson, who has been very impressive. Simon Forsmark has shown some intriguing abilities, and scored a very pretty goal. Simon Edvinsson has been high event in all directions. He has made a handful of flashy and impressive plays, but has probably turned the puck over a dozen times and made a number of poor decisions. Edvinsson is certainly worthy of a first round pick, but anyone who has him ranked higher than Brandt Clarke needs to watch film of this game. Prior to the game I would have given Edvinsson a slight edge in defensive zone play, but I'm not so sure anymore.

The Swedish wings have clearly struggled from no one being able to get them the puck, but they've also been collectively caved in by the Canadian point men in their defensive zone. Lysell has disappointed me a bit, but I hope he will bounce back next game. I feel Sweden's most dangerous forward has been Isak Rosen -- he's fast, skilled, shifty and smart.

Notes on Canada:
Shane Wright is clearly the best forward in the game. Whomever gets the top pick in 2022 is going to have a franchise superstar for a very long time. The best D-man in this game is clearly Brandt Clarke -- wow is he good. His puck skills have Swedish forecheckers faked out of their jock-straps all game, his offensive instincts and passing are simply marvelous. He's playing against a litany of forwards who are considered first-round picks and making them look silly. Mason McTavish looks just outstanding -- if he keeps this up he could overtake a few guys and sneak into the top 10. I really was looking forward to watching Francesco Pinelli against top competition his own age, and he has not disappointed. The kid has seriously impressive skills all across the offensive board and unbelievable offensive instincts. Other Canadian standouts include Brennan Othmann at forward, while defensively I felt excellent games have been played by Nolan Allan and Jack Matier.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LD Nolan Allan, Prince Albert WHL

I was going to wait until after the U-18 tournament to write him up, but there's just so much to like about this young, shut-down defenseman. He's a big kid at 6'2-195 and he's a very good skater. His decision making without the puck is extremely conservative, but ultimately impeccable. This is a kid who knows positioning, knows gaps and knows how to drive opposing puck-carriers into low-danger areas. He is always there to support his teammates and ferocious in protecting his goaltender. Allan has a physical edge to his game and can lay a big hit. He is very difficult to beat one-on-one and features tremendous strengths which help him dominate board and crease battles.

Allan is never going to score a ton of points, but he is smart and efficient with his outlet passing. He has one terrific skill in the offensive zone, which is that he is very accomplished at keeping pucks in the zone. He's never going to be confused with a creative passer, but you're not drafting him for your power play. Nolan Allan is the rock-solid, bottom 4 LD who can be relied on to excel on the PK and generally keeping the opposition of the scoreboard. His mobility and smarts make him a one-man obstacle course to traverse if you're an opposing forward attempting to score.

Allan has been undervalued by the scouting community, but I feel if he continues playing as well in the U-18 tourney as he has so far, he's really going to shoot up to the point where he could be a second round pick. Big, physical defensemen with very good skating are something most NHL front offices perennially covet. I'm not sure he would be a Devils prospect, as he compares pretty closely with a prospect NJ already owns in Nikita Okhotyuk. But if he falls past the third round, Nolan Allan would be a steal for any NHL team.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
2021 Draft Profile:

LW Conner Roulette, Seattle WHL

This is a very difficult prospect to write up. Though I am normally high on prospects who are small without elite skating if they have tremendous, stand-out abilities in other areas of the game -- Roulette is a prospect who lacks all of the essential athletic tools of size (5'11-160), strength and speed -- I would say he is a below average skater.

However, Roulette is also a high-end puck handler, shooter and passer who produces terrifically at every level he finds himself playing in. When he has the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, he is almost as dangerous as they come in the WHL. His offensive instincts are simply tremendous, and his awareness is also a huge strength. This is, quite simply, an extremely skilled young hockey player.

The question is: will his skills play up at the next level, where the entire league can hang with him skills-wise but the players can also out-skate and out-muscle him? I'm not sure Roulette will ever be anything more than average defensively, and he's never going to be a positive weapon in the transition game. Once he gets into the offensive zone with possession? Well, it's at that point where his potential really stands out. All the questions revolve around Roulette's reaching that point.

I feel Roulette will certainly be drafted for his offensive upside, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the 3rd-5th round. Though I'm not sure he would be at the top of my list at that point, this is certainly a player with the potential to score at the NHL level, so I see him more of a 6th/7th round guy.

Sounds like Gusev. Fair comparison?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just finished the USA 2-1 shootout win vs. Czech Republic. Not a very impressive game for the USA, who clearly lack some of the firepower of recent teams with players like Hughes, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy etc. But also, kudos to the Czechs who were terrific and stifling, as well as being physical and high-compete.

Notes on Czech:
It's getting harder and harder to invent reasons to leave LD Stanislav Svozil out of your top 20 rankings for the 2021 draft. He was simply tremendous defensively, impressive with his breakouts and outlets and made several good pinches in the offensive zone which led to scoring opportunities. His breathtaking move in overtime which almost won the Czechs the game -- he hit the post -- was just tremendous. Similarly, we should start talking very soon about where to rank RD David Jiricek in 2022-- he's big, fast and physical and just an impact player in all three zones. As a team, the Czechs were outstanding defensively, though they are going to need to find a way to develop more dynamic forwards if they hope to return to the days of winning international tournaments.

Notes on USA:
Again, I'll start with the D. Sean Behrens was just outstanding -- breaking up odd-man rushes, diving to block shots, creating offense, you name it. The 5'9 rearguard even laid out the biggest hit of the game -- a highlight-reel bone crusher which sent a much bigger opponent flying. I don't care how tall he is, this kid should be gone by the top half of the second round. A completely different smaller defenseman who also excelled was 5'6 Lane Hutson, who is so quick and nifty with the puck he almost looks like he's playing a video game. His assist on the game-tying goal was phenomenal and his shootout goal iced the victory. I'm curious where he will be ranked when his draft year comes around in 2022. Sasha Pastujov showed why he is so dangerous... and also so maddening. As the most talented offensive player on USA, you'd like him to take over the game on more of his shifts. However, his goal was beautiful and his passing in space is simply gorgeous. Red Savage was a beast in the face-off circle and played outstanding two-way hockey. Dylan Duke and Justin Janicke were ferocious in their compete level and forechecking, giving the Czechs fits down low all game long.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

None of our dumbasses our worth all this typing yet Steve types out all of this high quality scouting coverage for us free of charge. The big dope.

Edit: That’s good natured ribbing btw. (I don’t want bite the hand that feeds lol. I know tone is sometimes hard to read on the internet.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad