Prospect Info: STI 2021 Preliminary Draft Rankings (4/21)

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There is always going to be whining haha. For me personally I just have him ranked 7th out of the main guys, need being the biggest factor in that.

Yeah, that's totally reasonable. As much as people talk this draft down, I'm actually pretty pumped that we are in a position to draft from this particular set of players.

1-7, they fill a need regardless of how you play it.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Yeah, that's totally reasonable. As much as people talk this draft down, I'm actually pretty pumped that we are in a position to draft from this particular set of players.

1-7, they fill a need regardless of how you play it.
Exactly, I think Luke Hughes is the "worst" possible out come if we draft in the top 7 and that's only because of need/potential combos that I value slightly higher then him lol. I am pumped, and as many have said the major thing making this a "weak draft" is the lack of a clear cut #1.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Just remembered Seattle gets a pick as well so that bumps the teams at 3 and on back a spot

are they part of the lottery as well or are they the permanent 3rd overall pick?

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey @StevenToddIves, people keep on saying its a weak draft and I am wondering if perhaps the lack of scouting sort of cancels that out or not.

2021 is extremely strong at the top with LD and pretty deep throughout. The class is just tremendous at LW in terms of both high-end talent and depth.

However the class is unremarkable at C. The RW depth is far below the 2020 class. And the 2021 class is extremely thin at RD.

I will say that there will be more early "busts" and more late round steals than in recent years, because of the lack of scouting and players playing out of league, or not at all.

For instance, my #11 prospect is Francesco Pinelli. This kid has an elite tool kit, but I've seen him left off first round rankings entirely. Why? Well, no one has f---ing seen him play! Pinelli's OHL season is still in the cooler and he's playing in the AlpsHL. Nobody knows where that is or how to watch it. So, they give up and watch more film of Swedish guys and the QMJHL.

Or how about another higher-than-normal ranking of mine, Isak Rosen? He's a small kid who needs a great deal of strength training, but in normal years that would not be a problem. In normal years, Rosen would be putting up video game numbers playing vs. other kids in the Swedish juniors. But the pandemic caused the J20 to be cancelled, forcing Rosen into the Swedish men's league, where he is physically not equipped to play and barely gets any ice time. It's really hurt his draft stock.

Conversely, the USHL players and SHL players have seen their stock rise. Another of my favorite players -- Mackie Samoskevich -- has been watched intensively by scouts who would usually be more fixated on the OHL. His stock has risen as a result, and deservedly so.

All I can tell you, my friend, is that it's a weird draft year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You’re right. Other changes I guess are 2022 but lotto picks are this year.

I was just thinking about what absolute horse shit it is that Seattle gets the 3rd pick. This doesn't impact the good teams, who have either traded their 1st rounders or won't care if they draft 24th or 25th, but teams at the top of the draft can lose out on a franchise altering player.

Maybe it made some amount of sense when it was assumed that expansion teams are bad, but not after what we saw with Vegas.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was just thinking about what absolute horse shit it is that Seattle gets the 3rd pick. This doesn't impact the good teams, who have either traded their 1st rounders or won't care if they draft 24th or 25th, but teams at the top of the draft can lose out on a franchise altering player.

Maybe it made some amount of sense when it was assumed that expansion teams are bad, but not after what we saw with Vegas.
They don’t have any prospects though.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
They don’t have any prospects though.
Vegas also benefited from getting a HoF goalie because Pitt thought they had a better younger goalie. There's also the fact that I am pretty sure less teams will give up multiple good players to keep one great player.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
2021 is extremely strong at the top with LD and pretty deep throughout. The class is just tremendous at LW in terms of both high-end talent and depth.

However the class is unremarkable at C. The RW depth is far below the 2020 class. And the 2021 class is extremely thin at RD.

I will say that there will be more early "busts" and more late round steals than in recent years, because of the lack of scouting and players playing out of league, or not at all.

For instance, my #11 prospect is Francesco Pinelli. This kid has an elite tool kit, but I've seen him left off first round rankings entirely. Why? Well, no one has f---ing seen him play! Pinelli's OHL season is still in the cooler and he's playing in the AlpsHL. Nobody knows where that is or how to watch it. So, they give up and watch more film of Swedish guys and the QMJHL.

Or how about another higher-than-normal ranking of mine, Isak Rosen? He's a small kid who needs a great deal of strength training, but in normal years that would not be a problem. In normal years, Rosen would be putting up video game numbers playing vs. other kids in the Swedish juniors. But the pandemic caused the J20 to be cancelled, forcing Rosen into the Swedish men's league, where he is physically not equipped to play and barely gets any ice time. It's really hurt his draft stock.

Conversely, the USHL players and SHL players have seen their stock rise. Another of my favorite players -- Mackie Samoskevich -- has been watched intensively by scouts who would usually be more fixated on the OHL. His stock has risen as a result, and deservedly so.

All I can tell you, my friend, is that it's a weird draft year.
I still want to know what Raty fell so much. It's very unusual for the consensus #1 player one season out to fall out of the top 10 correct? Obviously you have guys rise like Nico and Nolan the early consensus #1 fall but only one spot as opposed to frankly a ton.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully we go BPA like it should be done every time drafting in the 1st round. It doesn't hurt to stack your offense even if we really need a high end defenseman on the right side.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I still want to know what Raty fell so much. It's very unusual for the consensus #1 player one season out to fall out of the top 10 correct? Obviously you have guys rise like Nico and Nolan the early consensus #1 fall but only one spot as opposed to frankly a ton.

Raty was in a man's body at 15-16 years old, and gained a ton of hype for dominating players in his age group. Raty stopped growing, and the other kids caught up to him. It's not his fault and he's a heck of a player, but his terrific all-around game is not on the same level as Beniers or Eklund, while his offensive prowess is not on the same level as Lucius or Johnson.

All players have their own individual development curves. Some kids stop growing at 15, some keep growing until they are 20. That's the only way I can explain it. This is far from a tragedy to me -- Raty is a likely top 15 pick who should have a very successful NHL career.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Plus, it would almost be worth it alone to see the Vancouver board meltdown if the Devils draft Hughes.
Be careful, what you wish for.

Boeser, Podkolzine, Eriksson (cap reason) and lottery protected 2023 1st for J. Hughes and L. Hughes

NO.

No? Do you think you will ever get a better offer for your bust and his injury prone little brother. We just have to wait a few years and they will anyway sign with Vancouver first chance they get.

Slow down, man. Luke has not even signed his ELC. We have no reasons to think about trading him and Jack.

Fine with me. So you continue to suck forever. Nobody wants to play for your sorry team in the Swamp and Vancouver has totally owned the Devils since the Schneider deal. :mad:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I suspect we will pick 4-6

as long as we dont take a smaller forward Im fine. And if its a small forward I better be convinced that hes Mitch Marner or somethinf

We are currently in the 6th spot barring any movement up/down from the lottery.

Going to be tough to move up to the 4th or 5th slot, but it's doable. Devils have 1-3 games in hand over the bottom feeders that they are chasing, so in that aspects our schedule is likely a little bit tougher being more compressed.

We're also gaining some ground. Here are the points earned over the last 10 games:

Buffalo - 11
Ottawa - 9
Anaheim - 9
Detroit - 12
NJ - 6

We only have a winning record against 2 teams this year - Buffalo (who we are done playing) and Boston (who we still have 2 games to go). The most games against any one team left is the 5 vs. Philly. We also have only 5 home games left versus 10 road games, which is not good for our draft slot.

Ottawa has the 2nd worst record in the league but we are only up by 2 points, though we also have 2 games in hand and up +2 in the ROW tiebreaker.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Raty was in a man's body at 15-16 years old, and gained a ton of hype for dominating players in his age group. Raty stopped growing, and the other kids caught up to him. It's not his fault and he's a heck of a player, but his terrific all-around game is not on the same level as Beniers or Eklund, while his offensive prowess is not on the same level as Lucius or Johnson.

All players have their own individual development curves. Some kids stop growing at 15, some keep growing until they are 20. That's the only way I can explain it. This is far from a tragedy to me -- Raty is a likely top 15 pick who should have a very successful NHL career.
That makes sense but at the same time it seems like his tools are better then a lot of guys ranked above him on most people's boards. Just confuses me is all.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Be careful, what you wish for.

Boeser, Podkolzine, Eriksson (cap reason) and lottery protected 2023 1st for J. Hughes and L. Hughes

NO.

No? Do you think you will ever get a better offer for your bust and his injury prone little brother. We just have to wait a few years and they will anyway sign with Vancouver first chance they get.

Slow down, man. Luke has not even signed his ELC. We have no reasons to think about trading him and Jack.

Fine with me. So you continue to suck forever. Nobody wants to play for your sorry team in the Swamp and Vancouver has totally owned the Devils since the Schneider deal. :mad:

As they take a last squeeze of the juice box and the air flushes back into the box it splashes all over their Sponge Bob T-shirt or whatever kids like these days.

I think the whole brothers have to play with each other is over blown. Just ask PK Subban. If Jack and Nico start dominating the metro a la Toews/Kane or Datsyuk/Zetterberg, I don’t think he’ll be escaping.

Take bpa and if it’s Hughes, great, if not, still great. Really hope he goes before the NJ pick so we stop the madness. Let’s worry about our house for now.

Reactions: TBF1972

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad