Prospect Info: STI 2019 Draft Rankings, 1.0

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Eh i see what you’re saying, but we did that with Zacha and look at what people think of that.

Time will tell. Can have another potentially elite center to pair with Nico or another great defenseman to pair with the guys we have coming in

The Devils did not do that with Zacha... Barzal is also a center.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
In 'Seems People Should Listen To Me About Bowen Byram' news of the day, the latest McKeen's rankings are out, and they have just bumped Byram up to #4 overall. The McKeen's top 10:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Dach
4 Byram
5 Podkolzin
6 Cozens
7 Zegras
8 Krebs
9 Turcotte
10 Soderstrom

I'm still going on the record as saying that Byram will not be around after the #4 pick in the 2019 draft, and I certainly can't see him sinking below #3 on my own rankings.

wait what? how is dach #3 now?

edit never mind, i see it was discussed in the other thread

Reactions: StevenToddIves

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
The Devils did not do that with Zacha... Barzal is also a center.

Zacha was rated by most as the best available forward at the time wasn't he? I remember he was picked right around where most experts projected him to be. It wasn't an off the board pick like picking someone projected to go 25th.

We definitely did not draft BPA. We were technically "set" on defense with the Merril's, Gelinas, etc, and I remember the cupboard was bare with top end talent, hence Conte and crew taking Zacha.

Just saying, take the BPA regardless of position. Winning the top 2 picks will make it easier of course.

Will note, really liking Turcotte. Byram looks like a stud, too.

Exciting times for us Devils fans.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Without knowing what the Devils draft board looked like that year I don't think you can say we definitely didn't go BPA. Didn't Shero say that if they didn't pick Zacha Conte would have fallen out of his chair?

Reactions: My3Sons

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Without knowing what the Devils draft board looked like that year I don't think you can say we definitely didn't go BPA. Didn't Shero say that if they didn't pick Zacha Conte would have fallen out of his chair?

I believe BPA was Provorov.

Zacha, Rantanen and a few others were around there as well as. I remember a lot of this board screaming for Barzal though.

We definitely picked for need though because the forwards were lacking at the time.

Reactions: longislanddevil

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
@StevenToddIves:

Philip Tomasino is a player of interest for me. He checks off most of the boxes that the Devils brass is seemingly looking for with its players. I see you love the kid and have him ranked 14. I’ve read other outlets’ projections and mock drafts that estimate he’s a selection from 20–32. Do you think there’s any way he falls into round 2? If he does start to slide into the 20s, would you like to see the Devils trade up for him? I wonder what kind of ammo would be needed to jump 5-12 spots to get back into round 1. Glad Shero accrued those two extra second rounders and third round pick.

Another prospect which seems to be divisive in the scouting community is Brett Leason. I’ve read he had a phenomenal year but was a “C Level” prospect and there are dissenting opinions due to the fact he is an overage player who will be 20 in April. This could indicate he is closer to his ceiling already than other prospects but I am certainly no expert. Are there any players from the last 10 years who can be compared from an overage standpoint- both guys who “made it” and those who didn’t? I’m trying to educate myself as this player is quite interesting to me. Sounds like he could be a good fit and may be available early second round.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I believe BPA was Provorov.

Zacha, Rantanen and a few others were around there as well as. I remember a lot of this board screaming for Barzal though.

We definitely picked for need though because the forwards were lacking at the time.

I agree. If memory serves me correctly (and it doesn’t always with every passing year), I believe Provorov was widely regarded as BPA at 1.6. I recall guys like Rantanen, Werenski, etc. all somewhat closely rated to Zacha (usually ranked ahead of him though) but I’m pretty sure the Devils had Zacha rated higher than most teams. I think Zacha was ranked in that 9-12 range mostly if I recall correctly. I also heard the story that Conte was enamored by Zacha and would have thrown a fit if the Devils missed out on him. It sounded like the Devils could have traded back a bit to accrue another asset if they found a willing partner and still got their man.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I agree. If memory serves me correctly (and it doesn’t always with every passing year), I believe Provorov was widely regarded as BPA at 1.6. I recall guys like Rantanen, Werenski, etc. all somewhat closely rated to Zacha (usually ranked ahead of him though) but I’m pretty sure the Devils had Zacha rated higher than most teams. I think Zacha was ranked in that 9-12 range mostly if I recall correctly. I also heard the story that Conte was enamored by Zacha and would have thrown a fit if the Devils missed out on him. It sounded like the Devils could have traded back a bit to accrue another asset if they found a willing partner and still got their man.

Big Bob had Zacha 6th overall in his final rankings actually. So the pick could have been BPA and not just need. Although I do believe that we have drafted based on need with other picks so could be a little of need as well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Comte is an old school NHL guy. He just missed the transition the league was making at the time to a league where a Jesper Bratt can thrive. My guess is Conte saw Zacha as a player akin to Holik and in Conte’s NHL you need to be a player of that size and strength to survive. No Zacha was never going to be a Holik style of player but clearly Conte just missed the whole compete level issue with Zacha. I don’t doubt in Conte’s mind that Zacha was the BPA. In all fairness the Zacha story is still only in its early chapters and much remains to be written. The ending to this season is tantalizing and with good line mates next season he could continue to make strides. I still think he will be a valuable player for the team even if not the top line power forward they thought they were getting.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Comte is an old school NHL guy. He just missed the transition the league was making at the time to a league where a Jesper Bratt can thrive. My guess is Conte saw Zacha as a player akin to Holik and in Conte’s NHL you need to be a player of that size and strength to survive. No Zacha was never going to be a Holik style of player but clearly Conte just missed the whole compete level issue with Zacha. I don’t doubt in Conte’s mind that Zacha was the BPA. In all fairness the Zacha story is still only in its early chapters and much remains to be written. The ending to this season is tantalizing and with good line mates next season he could continue to make strides. I still think he will be a valuable player for the team even if not the top line power forward they thought they were getting.

This will maybe be a hot take, but we whiffed on the 6th pick but it wasn't a reach. Zacha shows exactly why he was ranked that high and we just drafted in a different manner than what we do now. I believe this pick was all Conte because of what Ray has done since, we don't draft guys who lack worth ethic. Nico works his bag off, to such a great extent that veteran players like Marcus Johansson say playing with him was challenging because of how hard he works. Mcleod people don't love, but he is a responsible player that works super hard. Ty Smith is another player that works super hard. Even looking at the non first rounders, they are supporting players and work hard. Zacha was never that and has taken a long time to even start working hard consistently, and he's still not there yet.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This will maybe be a hot take, but we whiffed on the 6th pick but it wasn't a reach. Zacha shows exactly why he was ranked that high and we just drafted in a different manner than what we do now. I believe this pick was all Conte because of what Ray has done since, we don't draft guys who lack worth ethic. Nico works his bag off, to such a great extent that veteran players like Marcus Johansson say playing with him was challenging because of how hard he works. Mcleod people don't love, but he is a responsible player that works super hard. Ty Smith is another player that works super hard. Even looking at the non first rounders, they are supporting players and work hard. Zacha was never that and has taken a long time to even start working hard consistently, and he's still not there yet.

Agree 100%. Zacha is a good kid and wants to be a good player but without a natural competitive nature he has to learn how to be on his game every night without that emotional edge. That’s tough but he’s at least headed in the right direction. Hopefully he can develop the 20 goal potential he flashed the second half of this season.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Zacha was rated by most as the best available forward at the time wasn't he? I remember he was picked right around where most experts projected him to be. It wasn't an off the board pick like picking someone projected to go 25th.

We definitely did not draft BPA. We were technically "set" on defense with the Merril's, Gelinas, etc, and I remember the cupboard was bare with top end talent, hence Conte and crew taking Zacha.

Just saying, take the BPA regardless of position. Winning the top 2 picks will make it easier of course.

barzal was on the same level, if not higher

fans were absolutely shocked when he kept falling

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Yes he was the best available forward. The discussion was if he was the clearly the best around the players at that rank, which he was not.

The problem to me is that there may be 4-5 best players all on the same level. At that point you draft for position.

Agree with what he wrote and this is where the issue lies. Zacha wasn't on the same level as the other players.

Either way, Zacha was probably >>>>>>>> the others for Conte so its w/e.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Barzal and Connor were both regularly ranked ahead of Zacha, but again they lasted another 10 picks. Defensemen Werenski and Provorov were also ranked ahead of Zacha by many scouts, though their differing positions make it less of a straight comparison.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves:

Philip Tomasino is a player of interest for me. He checks off most of the boxes that the Devils brass is seemingly looking for with its players. I see you love the kid and have him ranked 14. I’ve read other outlets’ projections and mock drafts that estimate he’s a selection from 20–32. Do you think there’s any way he falls into round 2? If he does start to slide into the 20s, would you like to see the Devils trade up for him? I wonder what kind of ammo would be needed to jump 5-12 spots to get back into round 1. Glad Shero accrued those two extra second rounders and third round pick.

Another prospect which seems to be divisive in the scouting community is Brett Leason. I’ve read he had a phenomenal year but was a “C Level” prospect and there are dissenting opinions due to the fact he is an overage player who will be 20 in April. This could indicate he is closer to his ceiling already than other prospects but I am certainly no expert. Are there any players from the last 10 years who can be compared from an overage standpoint- both guys who “made it” and those who didn’t? I’m trying to educate myself as this player is quite interesting to me. Sounds like he could be a good fit and may be available early second round.

Obviously, I love Tomasino. I have him ranked higher than anyone else I have seen. I do believe that, as with Bowen Byram, other scouting bureaus/writers will catch up with me and start rating Tomasino higher. His skating and vision are just outstanding, and many of his highlights are absolutely electrifying. Though his likely draft slot will be in the 20-30 range, I see him as this year's Ty Dellandrea, the type of kid that a team will jump on in the teens seeing his huge upside. If he were to fall to the late 20s, he is certainly the type of player that Ray Shero loves -- fast, smart, competitive. However, Shero's draft history has shown him far more likely to trade down than to trade up, so I would not get my hopes up of Tomasino winding up on the Devils. Like you, I would love to see it, though.

There is no way I can see Brett Leason falling to the second round. I really like him even though I left him out of my top 40 -- I think he will be an outstanding and physical middle-6 F. I do not see his scoring upside as higher than 25-25-50, but he contributes in every other way and is just a huge kid (6'5-210, I'd guess). Many teams in the NHL still covet size inordinately, so I fully expect him to be gone by the 20s.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pretty Fired up that we will walk away with one of these guys

Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Dach, Zegras or even the Russian kid if he says he'll come to the US

Stick Krebs in there too, and that's the entire field of players who can conceivably be picked by the Devils with their first-rounder.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steve Kournianos new ranking just dropped:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Podkolzin
4 Zegras
5 Turcotte
6 Boldy
7 Byram
8 Cozens
9 Krebs
10 Dach
11 Caufield
12 Dorofeyev
13 Soderstrom
14 Lavoie
15 Newhook

Kournianos has given the highest rankings I have seen anywhere to Zegras, Boldy, Dorofeyev. Like me, he has Caufield just outside the top 10 -- neither of us are remotely concerned that Caufield's size will prevent him from scoring goals at any level. He also agrees with me that Turcotte is a top 5 prospect -- it baffles me that he and Zegras can be left out of top 10 lists by poorer draft writers.

Kournianos is the best surveyor of USHS talent around -- if he says Boldy is #6, that's a big statement. And when Kournianos ranks a prospect appreciably higher than the field like Dorofeyev? Well, I'm going to look at some more film on Dorofeyev this weekend, that's for certain.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota is still waiting for Kaprizov. Does this not impact their desire to pick a player like Podkolzin?
Yes, but if Podkolzin is available from 10-12 (where they are likely picking)then they'd have to pick him. What they really need is a C with top line potential, and this draft seems to be full of them.

Also, EDM has Klefbom, Nurse and an army of others at LD. It would be unlikely that they would pick Byram, when McDavid is dying for some forward talent.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
And when Kournianos ranks a prospect appreciably higher than the field like Dorofeyev? Well, I'm going to look at some more film on Dorofeyev this weekend, that's for certain.

Idk anything about dorofeyev but based on stats alone it's weird for people to rank him so low yet have podkolzin so high. I always wondered about that, what separates them so much.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if Colorado would be more inclined to take a gamble on the russian

If Colorado picks #3 or #4 with Ottawa's pick, it's quite possible they consider Podkolzin. I would also put Byram on their radar -- at the NHL level they are solid but unspectacular at LD with Zadorov, Girard & Cole and, though their top 2 prospects are D, they are both right-handed (Makar, Timmins). The Avs' biggest need on the big club is secondary scoring, so they really would love to get Hughes or Kakko, either of whom would anchor their second line as early as next season.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, but if Podkolzin is available from 10-12 (where they are likely picking)then they'd have to pick him. What they really need is a C with top line potential, and this draft seems to be full of them.

Also, EDM has Klefbom, Nurse and an army of others at LD. It would be unlikely that they would pick Byram, when McDavid is dying for some forward talent.

Though Nurse is becoming an elite physical/shut-down D and Klefbom is their best all-around D, I think the Oilers would also strongly consider Byram at #3. I'd say Cozens would be the favorite for them, but Byram would immediately become the most talented D they have drafted since Paul Coffey.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Though Nurse is becoming an elite physical/shut-down D and Klefbom is their best all-around D, I think the Oilers would also strongly consider Byram at #3. I'd say Cozens would be the favorite for them, but Byram would immediately become the most talented D they have drafted since Paul Coffey.
I think Edmonton fans would melt down if they didn't draft a wing.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad