Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sid was talking about Jays acquiring Odor from Texas last night. I don't know what it would cost but he would be the kind of player I would be interested in going forward.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com, the Blue Jays expressed interest in acquiring Rougned Odor. He does go on to say in the article that his sources didn’t indicate whether that was before or after “the punch”, but Heyman mentions them as a plausible fit either way.

I would stay far away from Odor... The contract they gave him is brutal.

Notice my comments back in March that got down voted.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rangers-invest-in-the-highly-unusual-rougned-odor/

Just a bad player on a bad contract. Has Arencibia type swing and miss and isnt a good defender... paying just for potential which you can get for a lot cheaper.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-worst-of-rougned-odor-is-back/

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He looks done. Even when we let him go in the off-season who would sign him? He's finished as an outfielder his decline has been sharp and fast. He may not want to anywhere and he has 10-5 rights but I'm sure every team out there has seen what we've seen.

I just don't see Bautista as an option for a lot teams. Even teams looking for outfield insurance can probably find a cheaper alternative

Morosi mentioned Cleveland since they lost out on JD Martinez. This year's playoffs look to be filled with super teams (i.e. LAD, CHC, Nats, Astros, Yanks, BoSox) so teams better load up to give themselves the best chance to win.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sid was talking about Jays acquiring Odor from Texas last night. I don't know what it would cost but he would be the kind of player I would be interested in going forward.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com, the Blue Jays expressed interest in acquiring Rougned Odor. He does go on to say in the article that his sources didn’t indicate whether that was before or after “the punchâ€, but Heyman mentions them as a plausible fit either way.

sid seixeiro?. Slapstick comedian who isn't funny, I have never looked to him for actual analysis. If your show needs bull horns ad sound effects for laughter its not a good show, genuinely surprised it doesn't have a laugh track

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would stay far away from Odor... The contract they gave him is brutal.

Notice my comments back in March that got down voted.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rangers-invest-in-the-highly-unusual-rougned-odor/

Just a bad player on a bad contract. Has Arencibia type swing and miss and isnt a good defender... paying just for potential which you can get for a lot cheaper.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-worst-of-rougned-odor-is-back/

Good to know. I remember him from the 2015 series and we couldn't get him out.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
sid seixeiro?. Slapstick comedian who isn't funny, I have never looked to him for actual analysis. If your show needs bull horns ad sound effects for laughter its not a good show, genuinely surprised it doesn't have a laugh track

Agreed I hate the silliness of that show but I was channel surfing and Jackie Redmond was subbing for Tim and that is what he was talking about when I tuned in.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Good to know. I remember him from the 2015 series and we couldn't get him out.

2015 Odor i would be interested in but after 2016 then the contract he signed i would stay far away from. Then his 2017 numbers re-affirm my thoughts in March.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed I hate the silliness of that show but I was channel surfing and Jackie Redmond was subbing for Tim and that is what he was talking about when I tuned in.

yeah. I don't actually mind tim I get he is the "straight" man to sids "hilarious" jokester. Too bad it isn't "the Tim and literally anybody else on the planet show"

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

It's a real good show. They get terrific guests consistently and those guests provide insight.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Stay well clear of Odor I wouldn't take him for free even if I got to punch odor right in the face with my right hand and Swisher with my left.

The players the Jays should be targeting are guys in AA/AAA that are currently blocked in other organizations.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's a real good show. They get terrific guests consistently and those guests provide insight.

yeah I have noticed great guests and tim is pretty good. Sid is an overacting unfunny person, "loudest guy in the room so he must be funny" type

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
yeah I have noticed great guests and tim is pretty good. Sid is an overacting unfunny person, "loudest guy in the room so he must be funny" type

His archetype is that of "the Toronto fan", while Tim tends to be the "reasonable fan" or "straight man", if we were to use an acting term.

Their shtick is fun. I wouldn't use them as a valid source, but its certainly entertainment.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Love the statement: "When you have the oldest team and you are in last place the GM manual says rebuild".

When you're the oldest team BECAUSE near every player you have brought into the team is mid to late 30s, then the manual isn't so clear.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
His archetype is that of "the Toronto fan", while Tim tends to be the "reasonable fan" or "straight man", if we were to use an acting term.

Their shtick is fun. I wouldn't use them as a valid source, but its certainly entertainment.

yeah that's fine. I personally cant stand sid so much I cant even have the show in the background, but that is me personally. He must be liked by a lot of fans for their show to be on so long and be around sportsnet so long

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Mariners have acquired left-hander Marco Gonzales from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league outfielder Tyler O’Neill,

O'Neill would have been a good target but we didnt have a Gonzales i dont think. An MLB ready pitcher (though not a good one as of late) with control.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
yeah that's fine. I personally cant stand sid so much I cant even have the show in the background, but that is me personally. He must be liked by a lot of fans for their show to be on so long and be around sportsnet so long

I can't stand him either. I think he represents everything that's wrong with the casual Toronto sport fan, tbh. Hayes has a bit of that in him too; the 'knows enough to form an opinion, but doesn't know enough for it to be completely intelligent', save for the fact that Hayes is not a clown.

But I'm quite critical of the Toronto radio\tv sports personalities, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I feel like if that's your full time job, then you should be constantly grinding out more research. An Aub or a Woodman shouldn't know more than a Sid, working a full time job, and yet they (as an example) can walk circles around him in terms of knowledge. It just shows sheer and utter laziness, or wanton disregard for information...which is worse.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I played basketball once when I was younger at a random gym (Crescent Town) and Tim was there and I completely butchered his name in the moment. Seemed like a cool guy. Never liked Sid but now that you explain his schtick hes about 150% accurate lol

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I can't stand him either. I think he represents everything that's wrong with the casual Toronto sport fan, tbh. Hayes has a bit of that in him too; the 'knows enough to form an opinion, but doesn't know enough for it to be completely intelligent', save for the fact that Hayes is not a clown.

But I'm quite critical of the Toronto radio\tv sports personalities, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I feel like if that's your full time job, then you should be constantly grinding out more research. An Aub or a Woodman shouldn't know more than a Sid, working a full time job, and yet they (as an example) can walk circles around him in terms of knowledge. It just shows sheer and utter laziness, or wanton disregard for information...which is worse.

Completely agree. Sid isnt a sports guy he is an "entertainer" or a wannabe comedian who watches sports.

Another guy i wonder how he still has a job is McCowan. Like you said for someone who's job is to talk about sports and doesnt know the Bautista's deal is basically a 1 year deal not a guaranteed 2 or keeps pounding the drum that Stroman isnt a starter because of height. The list goes on and on.

He has some opinions i agree with but it is quiet shocking how little he knows.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The funny thing is the Jays blew some games they should have won. The three most recent are;

Losing in extras to Boston, losing in extras to the White Sox and blowing that game in Kansas.

A 44-51 record suddenly becomes 47-48 and 2.5 GB of the 2nd WC spot and 3.5 back of the 1st WC spot and the only team in front of them is the Twins who they would be 1.5 games behind. And you are only 5 games back of the division. Doesnt include a bunch of other games they could have easily won this season.

Not that i am advocating the Jays are legit contenders where they should buy. But rather its a shame all those injuries hit us at once and so early because i never seen the AL so weak outside of Houston. Fangraphs is projecting the 1st WC winner had 85 wins and the 2nd has 83. Even if they continue their pace Tampa is looking at 86 wins and the Yankees at 84. That is extremely easy to obtain - 9 Jays teams from 1994 to 2014 had at least 83 wins and in most of those cases their werent even trying to win.

Wins to obtain a Wildcard Spot:
2012: 93 and 93
2013: 92 and 92
2014: 89 and 88
2015: 87 and 86
2016: 89 and 89

Its a real shame and missed opportunity that we missed if it only takes 83-86 wins to get a playoff spot. If we had some health i have no problem saying we would be in a wildcard spot or even the division lead and maybe we just picked up JD Martinez for nothing of consequence.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The Mariners have acquired left-hander Marco Gonzales from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league outfielder Tyler O’Neill,

O'Neill would have been a good target but we didnt have a Gonzales i dont think. An MLB ready pitcher (though not a good one as of late) with control.

O'Neill is getting passed around more than green beans at thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad