Rumor: Stephens: Ducks closing in on deal with Koivu

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Like this move.

Locks Bonino in as #2 center in all likeliness as well.

Wonder is this means any Ryan trade will be centered around a defenseman as well?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Like this move.

Locks Bonino in as #2 center in all likeliness as well.

Wonder is this means any Ryan trade will be centered around a defenseman as well?

That's the part of this move that I dislike...

IMO, Bonino as the 4C = amazing

Bonino as the 2C = Decent, but I still don't think our 2nd line will be good enough with him as the pivot. Hope he proves me wrong.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I guess it depends on whether Selanne is one of the wingers, and more importantly, how he plays. Selanne was a bigtime weak link in our top 6 this past season.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
That's the part of this move that I dislike...

IMO, Bonino as the 4C = amazing

Bonino as the 2C = Decent, but I still don't think our 2nd line will be good enough with him as the pivot. Hope he proves me wrong.

I want to see what the wingers will be like first, if Teemu is one I'll be a bit worried.

Think Bonino can end up as sort of a middle of the road #2 center, not terrible, but not elite either.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Down the road I believe Bonino will end up as a terrific 3rd line center, while Holland or Rakell (I have more faith in Rakell than Holland though) has the better chance of becoming a proper 2C. I wasn't too impressed by Holland this season, and even though Rakell's junior numbers aren't that impressing, I believe his style of play could translate quite well into NHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
But in all seriousness, could ''the two are also talking about his role'' mean he could return as a staff member?

Actually i would not want to see Selanne play even worse than last year. No matter how much i love him as a hockey player, but imo he shouldn`t play until he is a healthy scratch - level player. We won`t be contenders next year anyway but the Olympics could make Teemu think a little longer. Anyway, i will accept any decision from him, after all he`s Teemu Selanne.

But to quentez:

i don`t think Rakell will be a 2nd line material anytime soon (at least not in the next 3 years)

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
1 year, 3 million would be my guess. Have him play 3rd line even strength minutes and play him on the PK like he did this last season. Perfect role for him.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Great to hear this although I was pretty sure he would continue his career but I wasn't 100 percent sure it was going to be in Anaheim. I expect it to be a one year contract but his price is hard to guess. Koivu was very good at times but still he's getting old and the 3rd line lost some of its charm as the season progressed. Still a very useable and good player to have.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Teemu would probably be fine playing 50-60 games. They want to find out if he's ok being a healthy scratch.

That might work for Teemu. But is that really in the team's best interest? Top 6 players need to be out there every night except when injured. I can't see building a top 6 (or is it a top 5.75?) with a guy who you already plan to sit 25% of the season and then hope he performs well in the other 75%. That just sounds like an unwillingness to face reality if they go down that road.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Great to hear this although I was pretty sure he would continue his career but I wasn't 100 percent sure it was going to be in Anaheim. I expect it to be a one year contract but his price is hard to guess. Koivu was very good at times but still he's getting old and the 3rd line lost some of its charm as the season progressed. Still a very useable and good player to have.

I think Saku commented a couple of years ago that he very much does not want to keep moving his family around to continue his career. I think in that regard he will be like Teemu and probably keep signing here until he retires.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That might work for Teemu. But is that really in the team's best interest? Top 6 players need to be out there every night except when injured. I can't see building a top 6 (or is it a top 5.75?) with a guy who you already plan to sit 25% of the season and then hope he performs well in the other 75%. That just sounds like an unwillingness to face reality if they go down that road.

Says who?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
My concern is with his hands more than his speed/legs. He seemed to fumble the puck constantly last year and quite a bit the year before. I think everybody agrees relative to scorers, more than anything else, once the hands go, you're done.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't think Bonino is a 2C but I'd rather see Koivu stick around another year and have Bonino in the 2C role if it means we're upgrading the defense. That is if we even upgrade the blueline...

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Selanne is going to be the NHL's first DH in awhile, probably since Dave Andreychuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad