Stephen Weiss

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
on the one hand, i guess it's good to know he was playing injured so what we saw was not a healthy weiss right from the first game of the season

on the other hand, i have my doubts that we will ever get fully healthy

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Resurrecting this old thread.

What are your expectations for Weiss next season? Think he returns to form.

He didn't look good when he did play this season but he said it was because he was trying to force his way past an injury that hadn't fully recovered. Do you believe him, or is he just trying to excuse how poor his play was while he was on the ice?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hasn't he been working out with Gary Roberts? It seems players who train with him in the summer (Stamkos, Neal, Skinner) generally have pretty solid seasons...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

He didn't look good when he did play this season but he said it was because he was trying to force his way past an injury that hadn't fully recovered. Do you believe him, or is he just trying to excuse how poor his play was while he was on the ice?

i think it's true. he did that on flordia too and many times i think.

whether he recovers to his past form, is another thing. he has had tough time putting together complete healthy seasons when he was younger and hasn't played high level hockey, healthy, since 2012. and had showed signs of decline already by then.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013

He is going to be in a tough spot. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Franzen and Alfie if he returns have 5 of the top 6 locked down. That leaves Weiss having to slug it out with Tatar and Abdelkader for the last spot. If Babcock puts Datsyuk and Zetterberg together Weiss may get the 2nd line spot purely because he is a natural center, but if Z and D are split up, I expect Weiss to pull what will effectively be 4th line duty behind Helm.

I would imagine an all-healthy roster to look something like:

Top 6: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Nyquist, Franzen, Abdelkader
3rd line: Helm, Tatar, Weiss (if he can play on the wing)
4th line: Anderson, Miller, Sheahan

Again if Z and D play together, I could see Weiss swap into the top 6 with Abby to take the 2nd line C position and abby going to 3rd line with Tatar and Helm.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
He is going to be in a tough spot. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Franzen and Alfie if he returns have 5 of the top 6 locked down. That leaves Weiss having to slug it out with Tatar and Abdelkader for the last spot. If Babcock puts Datsyuk and Zetterberg together Weiss may get the 2nd line spot purely because he is a natural center, but if Z and D are split up, I expect Weiss to pull what will effectively be 4th line duty behind Helm.

I would imagine an all-healthy roster to look something like:

Top 6: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Nyquist, Franzen, Abdelkader
3rd line: Helm, Tatar, Weiss (if he can play on the wing)
4th line: Anderson, Miller, Sheahan

Again if Z and D play together, I could see Weiss swap into the top 6 with Abby to take the 2nd line C position and abby going to 3rd line with Tatar and Helm.

If they split up Zetterberg and Datsyuk, I'd like to see them try Weiss on Datsyuk's wing instead of Abdelkader. Likely never gonna happen though.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I don't want to say staying healthy as a minimum requirement but whether he's playing good or bad, he's a colossal waste of money if he's out months at a time. I'd expect that his play will improve if he can actually stay on the ice. He's no better than a 3rd liner to me but he can at least play his way back up to a 2nd line role.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Harsh. Holland and company think that he can put up 50-60 points and that is not third line production

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Thanks, appreciate it!

We should send Nyquist, Almquist, and Backman there for the summer too, but for strength training. Roberts is fantastic at what he does.

Is Roberts better than Barwis? Seems quite a few Wings players (and the Babcocks) already work out with Barwis in the off season.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think he's still pretty much in control of his fate. Splitting D and Z will be decided based on his play. If he does well enough, they'll use him to centre the 2nd line so that they can keep D and Z together.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I would be ecstatic if he could turn into a solid 3rd line center at this point. Maybe hit 40 points?

If he does that at least he's contributing to a much greater center depth, and is only overpaid by 1-1.5M(spare change Kenny would be throwing away to sweaten the deal for some garbage player anyway).

I don't think he's capable of that without playing with Zetterberg though, or is flanked by Nyquist & Franzen. But hey, 40 points would be 40 points.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If he does that at least he's contributing to a much greater center depth, and is only overpaid by 1-1.5M(spare change Kenny would be throwing away to sweaten the deal for some garbage player anyway).

I don't think he's capable of that without playing with Zetterberg though, or is flanked by Nyquist & Franzen. But hey, 40 points would be 40 points.

You don't think he could pass the 40 point mark unless flanked by our best players?

I think that's a low bar to set for him if he is healthy.

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
Is Roberts better than Barwis? Seems quite a few Wings players (and the Babcocks) already work out with Barwis in the off season.

I get the sense that Barwis actually knows what he's doing when it comes to training (proper lifting technique, nutrition, etc), while the sense I get from Gary Roberts is that he just puts the players through the exercises that he used to do, proper or not.

(not the only one who's worried about that either: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=85511985&postcount=8)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad