Stephen Weiss

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
EDIT: Thought you were talking about Weiss. Detroit should buy Weiss out in the summer.

Weiss cant be a Compliance Buyout since he was signed after the new CBA was ratified and a normal buyout would be for 8 year 4 years left on his contract times two and I just don't see Holland doing that. He will be given at least one more year and then we shall see after that.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Update here: http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=717174

This is an enlightening article. Here are a couple of very informative segments:

Stephen Weiss revealed that the sports hernia – which forced the Red Wings’ center to miss more than two-thirds of the regular season and the playoffs – was bothersome prior to the season-opener last October.

“Coming down for the first game of the year and thinking ‘How are you going to get through the game?’ is probably not the right way to start,” said Weiss, who has undergone two surgeries since December.

“It’s been a big disappointment but I don’t know how much I’d change other than being a little smarter in the summer and maybe a little smarter at the start of the season, not trying to play through these types of things as much as I did,” Weiss said. “Even though it was my first year and I wanted to do things the right way, maybe taking a little time off at the start of the season would have done me better than pushing through and trying to be a little bit of a hero that way. … I got myself into some trouble that could have been avoided by being a little bit smarter.”

Apparently this became an issue over the summer and he decided to tough it out.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Weiss had another surgery last week to break up some scar tissue. Holland had this to say about Weiss:

"Its hard to know where he's going to be in September. A lot of where he's going to be in September is really going to be about...Number one, in the next month is he going to be healthy? Was that surgery, that small minor surgery that was performed last week, was that the answer to what ails him? And is he able to have a June, July, and August where he's able to hit the gym and come to camp healthy, fit, ready to go or are we going to wake up in early June and he's where he was a month ago, it wasn't the answer and we're going to continue to be looking for answers as to...why is he not getting healthy."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Weiss does come back and is a good player for us, I think we should call him FrankenWeiss. :laugh:

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Holland doesn't seem to have any confidence in him. That's not good. Usually staff members will at least install false confidence in players... bleh. I don't know what to expect.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Holland doesn't seem to have any confidence in him. That's not good. Usually staff members will at least install false confidence in players... bleh. I don't know what to expect.

At least the concern is his health. Could you imagine if he were just flat out sucking, going full Cleary on us? If he can't ever get his health back on track, we can just Pronger him and act like that signing never happened.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If Weiss does come back and is a good player for us, I think we should call him FrankenWeiss. :laugh:

I could see this becoming a Flashy GDT.

34i1ly9.jpg

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Apparently this became an issue over the summer and he decided to tough it out.

Makes me think of a quote I heard while working at a moving firm when I was younger; "When your head is stupid, your body will suffer"

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Im not sure how this slipped past the training staff, not sure they would have signed him knowing this. This goes along with all the other injuries they seem to be piling up over the last few years, not sure what is going on in the off-season and while in Detroit but something needs to be done

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
From Ansar Khan (link):

Weiss, 31, is confident he’ll be 100 percent healthy by training camp in September. The Red Wings are counting on it. They have a lot invested in the player they expected to fill their second-line center spot.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Hey guys I hear we just now acquired Stephen Weiss. How do you think he will do in his first season as a Red Wing?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Glad to see he'll be spending part of the offseason with Gary Roberts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad