Stephen Weiss

crashman

If Weiss can't play center when healthy, what good is he?

The main reason they signed the guy was because he was supposed to be the true number 2 center that Filppula (supposedly) wasn't capable of doing.

I'm excited to see what a healthy Weiss can bring to the table. I'm hoping that it was just the injuries that held him back last season, not just his age catching up with him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm excited to see what a healthy Weiss can bring to the table. I'm hoping that it was just the injuries that held him back last season, not just his age catching up with him.

A 50 point campaign would be a resounding success. At this point, though, I'll settle for 50 games played.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Any idea if there has been any tire-kicking related to Booth? Any LW openings? I don't know much about the Red Wings' depth chart, but it seems like a bargain deal might be worth a shot to try to resurrect Weiss' offense. Give him a shot in camp and if it looks like the chemistry is there, it may open up a trade opportunity moving another LW for a defenseman or something.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Any idea if there has been any tire-kicking related to Booth? Any LW openings? I don't know much about the Red Wings' depth chart, but it seems like a bargain deal might be worth a shot to try to resurrect Weiss' offense. Give him a shot in camp and if it looks like the chemistry is there, it may open up a trade opportunity moving another LW for a defenseman or something.

We have 14 forward signed... And we have kids that are better. There's really no point IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Weiss can't play center when healthy, what good is he?

The main reason they signed the guy was because he was supposed to be the true number 2 center that Filppula (supposedly) wasn't capable of doing.

Looks like Steve Ott had exactly same problems as Weiss...

A sports hernia is a painful, soft tissue injury that occurs in the groin area. It most often occurs during sports that require sudden changes of direction or intense twisting movements.

I wanted to go to St. Louis (Ott says), That was my No. 1 spot. I told my agent, ‘Listen, let’s make this work any which way we can.’ My heart was already locked up with St. Louis (at free agency). I’m happy that my family and myself, we’re where we wanted to be. That was my No. 1 thing, to be a Blue again.

To be honest with you, I wasn’t at 100 percent (at last season).

I don’t think I gave a true look at what I can bring the team yet. Call it nerves or being in that situation for the first time coming into a new team ... just all those things add up. I was nowhere near my expectations.

The sports hernia was bothering me for the last few months, and it’s just nice to know that I’m all fixed up. I can already tell, such a tremendous difference in the gym and when I’m skating. I take a big onus on myself to come in and have a big year this year.

So just like Weiss, Ott tried to play through an injury. Pressured in a new environment, he couldn't eat his pride heal the injury first.

Blues still extended him after the horrible season he had after the trade deadline.

That gives me hope that Weiss can do the same and bounce back.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
We have 14 forward signed... And we have kids that are better. There's really no point IMO.

Yeah I realize, just wondering if it would be worth an experiment in camp to see if he can make Weiss better and vise versa, to the point where he could possibly contribute enough that one of the "kids that are better" can be used in a trade and bring a solid return elsewhere. Kinda like found money.

Hopefully Weiss bounces back one way or another.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What should we realistically expect from Weiss this year? It would be nice for hm to fill the 2nd line center role and put up 40+ points, so Pavel and Hank can play together. I don't really know if 40+ points is a realistic expectation though. Maybe he can find chemistry with Nyquist and Franzen??

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What should we realistically expect from Weiss this year? It would be nice for hm to fill the 2nd line center role and put up 40+ points, so Pavel and Hank can play together. I don't really know if 40+ points is a realistic expectation though. Maybe he can find chemistry with Nyquist and Franzen??

I counted that 4th best Red Wing scorer average from 2005 to 2014.

It was 49 points in 70 games. Those could be Weiss numbers.

I predict our best scorers will be Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Nyquist at next season. Weiss/Franzen comes next depending how healthy they will be.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I believe that is kinda tricky. Granted he was not 100% last season in the games he played but prior to Detroit he has never been in a puck possesion system. So it is really hard to maintain a point level for him. He looked dazed and confused in our system last year similiar to how Modano was in his swan song here. So I would gather best case scenario is if 75+ played 50 or so points would be his ceiling. He was always a dump and chaser in Florida. So he is a textbook option off our nhl level scouts mistakes the past few years in identifying talent to bring in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad