Steen

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't care excuses. Army doesn't need to pay 5.7 million on a 4 year contract for a 33 yr old who has dealt with injuries it seems like every season. We have 3 more years of a player that's Lehtera 2.0 slow skater who shoots into defenders consistently. Is he more suited for third line. Yes just like Sobotka but at Cap hit of 5.7 that's 1st line/2nd line at least money. That's the issue. Blues have Cap issues

Let's pump the breaks on the hyperbole a little bit. Steen has been scoring at a .59 point per game pace this year. Lehtera was a .34 point per game player last year, and a .43 player in 15/16. He has 2 points in 17 games this year. We can criticize a contract without it being on par with Lehtera's.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Imagine if Steen got to play his actual position, or was put into a position to succeed on the power play, or maybe even both.

Steen's contract is not an issue this year. Maybe the last two years it might not look so good, but the cap is going to increase substantially, and that will help, too. I think Steen's contract will be fine on the whole. He'll be our version of Patrick Sharp, and he always comes up big in the playoffs. He'll be an excellent tweener middle-6 LW for the remainder of his career

Reactions: simon in canada

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Imagine if Steen got to play his actual position, or was put into a position to succeed on the power play, or maybe even both.

Steen's contract is not an issue this year. Maybe the last two years it might not look so good, but the cap is going to increase substantially, and that will help, too. I think Steen's contract will be fine on the whole. He'll be our version of Patrick Sharp, and he always comes up big in the playoffs. He'll be an excellent tweener middle-6 LW for the remainder of his career

I think his contract is a bit of an issue for what he is providing (and will likely provide moving forward). However, I don't think there is a team in the league without at least 1 contract that is equally bad and most teams have much, much worse contracts. $5.7 per year is a drag if he is squarely a middle 6 guy. If he can't flirt with 60 points, that money could have been better utilized. However, a $1-$2 mil overpay for a middle 6 guy can be easily worked around. It's an inconvenience but isn't just pure dead space.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Let's pump the breaks on the hyperbole a little bit. Steen has been scoring at a .59 point per game pace this year. Lehtera was a .34 point per game player last year, and a .43 player in 15/16. He has 2 points in 17 games this year. We can criticize a contract without it being on par with Lehtera's.
Let’s not pump the breaks. Let’s slam the breaks and send that post right through the f***ing windshield. This sad version of Steen is way better than peak Lehtera

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Let me remind the critics that Steen had 51 points in the 2010-2011 season, and 51 points last season. He was 26 years old in the 2010-2011 season, and 32 years old last season.

He has been injured a lot in the past. He may be playing with an injury now. He has been playing out of position, presumably at the team's request. You may think that he should sit out if he is injured, but the team is shorthanded as it is.

I give him the benefit of the doubt. If he struggles next year, I'll join the lynch mob.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Let me remind the critics that Steen had 51 points in the 2010-2011 season, and 51 points last season. He was 26 years old in the 2010-2011 season, and 32 years old last season.

He has been injured a lot in the past. He may be playing with an injury now. He has been playing out of position, presumably at the team's request. You may think that he should sit out if he is injured, but the team is shorthanded as it is.

I give him the benefit of the doubt. If he struggles next year, I'll join the lynch mob.

Yeah, Steen will be fine, but it was an iffy contract from the start. We paid a premium a year before we had to for his mid-30s aged years. But I also dont think this contract prohibit u from acquiring another big money player, most of our main guys are under contract, or are on ELC/arb eligible for this and the next two seasons.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Steen should NOT be used on the point on either Power Play unit. But, he's still an effective 2-way forward, IF he's playing LW. He'll soon start scoring some goals. it was his hand that was injured. He can help bridge the gap in The Top 6 until a couple of The Blues' prospects can play effectively there. Then, he can drop to The 3rd line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad