Steen, Bernier, Eaves, Higgins

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I know I'm going to be called a homer, but I'm definitely 100% behind Steen on this. Both this season, and in the long run.

In order for "the long run" in points, I would say it goes like this:

Steen
Bernier
Higgins
Eaves

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Bernier will probably score the most goals, and could easily score the most points just by virtue of playing with Patrick Marleau and Milan Michalek.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
Bernier...He has soft hands very physical and so much potential its scary

With all respect to the other guys (Steen,etc.)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
No real opinion, you could probably make a case for any of them (depending on which team you cheer for, of course :D ). I'm satisfied enough with what Higgins is doing in Montreal that I wouldn't trade him for any of the others, though, whether he's the best or most likely to pile up points or not. Not out of homerism per se, just out of a general "don't fix what ain't broken" philosophy. :dunno:

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Next season:
Bernier
Eaves
Steen
Higgins

Long Term: (4-5yrs)
Bernier
Steen/Eaves
Higgins

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
next year:

Eaves
Steen
Bernier
Higgins

future:

Steen
Eaves
Bernier
Higgins

I don't think Higgins is going to be able to keep up offensively with the rest of them.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
This one will have an awful lot to do with who the various players get to play with. I assume Bernier is playing with Marleau and Michalek, so he should put up good numbers. The rest, I don't really know where they'll play.

Eaves might end up playing with Spezza and Alfredson/Heatley. If he does, he'll get tons of points no matter what. If he gets bumped to a line with guys like Fischer or Vermette or something, he'll probably end up scoring the least of the four.

Higgins is comonly thought to be ending up on the line with Koivu and Ryder, where he had a great deal of success at the end of last year. If he stay there, he could do quite well. I still doubt he'd get more points than Bernier. If he ends up on a third line or something, I think he's probably getting the least of the 4.

Steen will either play with Sundin and rack up the points at a pace where he could rival Bernier, or he could play with people like Antropov and Ponikarovsky, where he should still put up points, but not as much.

Since so much depends on who the players play with, I can't really make a ranking. I will say that if I had to pick one for a pool or something based on points, I'd probably go with Bernier, just because he seems like the only one who is guaranteed to play with high-end linemates. He's either on Marleau's wing or he's on Thorntons wing, so he's a good bet to rack up the points.

Bryzga lol*

Everyone here just seem to have picked the player on the team they cheer for.

I think they've all got a shot to be the best player out of the 4. They all have a chance to play on the top 2 lines with great players (Koivu, Sundin, Marleau, Heatley/Spezza), and they all showed flashes of brilliance last season (Bernier and Higgins especially at the end of the season).

If I had to take a guess on who gets more points next season, I'm just going to go by who they'll probably play with, so I'll go first with Eaves (Heatley/Spezza), Higgins (Koivu, Ryder), Bernier (Marleau/?), Steen (Sundin/?).

Verbal Kint*

Bernier will probably score the most goals, and could easily score the most points just by virtue of playing with Patrick Marleau and Milan Michalek.

Thats basically my view on this. Bernier will end up with the most points but not because of his play but moreso his linemates. Likewise if Eaves ends up with Heatley and Spezza, he could top the pool. Steen I think will probably top Higgins however, call me a homer if you want to.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
next year:

Eaves
Steen
Bernier
Higgins

future:

Steen
Eaves
Bernier
Higgins

I don't think Higgins is going to be able to keep up offensively with the rest of them.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I would certainly like to know why you think a player like Higgins can't keep up offensively with Steen, Eaves or Bernier?

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
i think its threads like these that make me realise what good shape the NHL is going forward. Not only are there true superstars under 25 for the first time in 10 years, but there are legitimate second tier guys that every team wants to go along with them. A few more deep drafts like 2003, and the NHL will be in its best shape in years.

As far as the comparison goes, I would say that no team would trade their player for any of the other ones, which means they are all of great value. A year from now we will have a better idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad