Stastnys role

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Looks like Hitch is relying on him to be more of a two-way shut-down center than a playmaker. It was so nice to see Fabbri back on his line though. Stastny's stats aren't there on the scoresheet and I am sure people will disagree but he has played a great series in my opinon. He just not in the role that people expected. He has been our Toews though - intangibles galore in round 1.

<Enter someone to make a comment about how much money he makes, just remember that's what the Blues offered, all he did was accept it>

Do you like Stastny's new role? Think it changes with the Dallas series?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Overall I thought he played very well. He did a great job in faceoffs and going against Toews was no small task.

I think he will be more offensively oriented until Seguin returns then we will see Stastny and Backes back in the shutdown mode.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Overall I thought he played very well. He did a great job in faceoffs and going against Toews was no small task.

I think he will be more offensively oriented until Seguin returns then we will see Stastny and Backes back in the shutdown mode.

Is Seguin supposed to return this series?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Stastny had a decent series. He done his defensive duties and played his part in the big goal, but I'd still have liked to have seen more offensively.

It has to change against Dallas. We can't focus solely on shutdown, we have to have every line looking to also take advantage of their defensive vulnerabilities.

Is Seguin supposed to return this series?

Did Dallas not say before Game 1 that Seguin would play if it was a Game 7?

Interesting that he is still out...

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Stastny had a decent series. He done his defensive duties and played his part in the big goal, but I'd still have liked to have seen more offensively.

It has to change against Dallas. We can't focus solely on shutdown, we have to have every line looking to also take advantage of their defensive vulnerabilities.

Did Dallas not say before Game 1 that Seguin would play if it was a Game 7?

Interesting that he is still out...

I agree it has to change vs Dallas. Blues need to play less shutdown and play more offensive, the D alone can handle Dallas.

I heard Seguin isn't even skating yet. Maybe I got bad info (I don't follow anything Dallas Stars)

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

100% agree. I liked what he did defensively. He was solid. Not spectacular but solid.

Offensively he needs to be a bit better. He is our #1 center and gets a ton of ice time. He can't just play the role of 3rd line shutdown defender that chips in some offense here and there.

Expect more from your best players in the playoffs. I think we see more from the Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer line in this series.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
Last year, Hitch would have put Backes in Stastny's current role, and we would have failed. I've persistently told many other Blues' fans that Stastny is a real #1 center. He may be on the lower end of that spectrum, but he is just as good as guys like Krecji and Koivu. Whenever people think of that Brouwer goal, I want them to remember that Stastny set up that entire play.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Last year, Hitch would have put Backes in Stastny's current role, and we would have failed. I've persistently told many other Blues' fans that Stastny is a real #1 center. He may be on the lower end of that spectrum, but he is just as good as guys like Krecji and Koivu. Whenever people think of that Brouwer goal, I want them to remember that Stastny set up that entire play.

Yeah that long pass through the D was a thing of beauty! Would love to see him do that more in round 2.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I see hitch trying to use Steen-Backes-Bergie against Benn-Eakin-Sharp. With Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer going up against Janmark-Spezza-Nichuskin.

I think Ott played well for his role the remainder of the season, but I want Reeves back in to go against Roussel and Eaves. They will be targeting our key players and Blues need to establish early that is a no go.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He was below average but I give him credit for playing his best game in Game 7. Won some key draws and was instrumental in the series clinching goal. Great little move on the boards to free himself and pass off to Fabbri. He was good last night. I want to see Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer reunited for Round 2.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Absolutely! Panger was gushing all over Stastny on that play. Rightfully so. He has been winning faceoffs at key times as well.

Something else I noticed, Hitch let him take more O-zone faceoffs last night. I am not sure he even had an O-zone faceoff in game 6.

He was below average but I give him credit for playing his best game in Game 7. Won some key draws and was instrumental in the series clinching goal. Great little move on the boards to free himself and pass off to Fabbri. He was good last night. I want to see Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer reunited for Round 2.
Based on what? The scoresheet? Yeah, he hasn't shown up there enough but I think all series he has been part of some key moments like shutting down Toews.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think he had his best game of this series vs DAL in game 5. Not just because of the empty netter but that line with Brouwer and FABBRI (not Steen) is easily the best line that game.

Side note: Looking up his stats, he lead the team in assists this season with 39 and was third in total points on the team with 49. Would like to see him on the scoresheet more but he's been playing pretty good.

rivoshy 1774

Oct 9, 2013
ontario, Can
I think he's played great, smart hockey and he's even throwing the body around. Like another poster put, as long as we're winning I don't care how many points he tallies.

LGB

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
To say that Stastny is key to a deep run is an understatement. He's been up there as far as clutch players for us.

You're right in suggesting that he's this team's version of Toews right now, which I always thought made sense from the standpoint of play style and production.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You win as a team and you lose as a team. Everyone has their roles and I think Pauly Walnuts has changed his overall game this year to become an excellent center for us in his role. He's basically supplanted Backes' role as a shut down center but when teamed with 15/36, he also generates more offensive opportunities. That line (15/26/36) shouldn't be touched for the rest of this run in my opinion.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Fabs-Staz-Tbro is basically what the SOB line was for us in previous seasons.

Difference being they're a more effective line and have a better team around them, so they're not doing the heavy lifting both offensively and defensively. The STL line supports them in the former case, and the Bergy, Steen Backes line shoulders the defensive load.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
He had a pretty meh start to the playoffs. 0 points, -3 in the first 5 games. He was pretty invisible offensively. I went into that Hawks series thinking he'd keep up the great offensive play but every time he got the puck in the offensive zone, he did little with it.
Then people kept saying he was doing a good job vs. Toews but the stats showed that Elliott and Backes were doing the much better job of shutting down Toews. Stastny was dominated in Corsi.

Since Game 6, though, Stastny has been so much better offensively. He is doing a lot more with the puck when it is on his stick. His pass on the Brouwer goal in Game 7 was just awesome!

Also, he has been amazing in the faceoff circle.

You can brush aside his salary all you want but he got that money to be more than just a 3rd line shut down center. That money came with expectations that he'd provide top 6 caliber offense. He is doing just that over the last 6 games. Way to go, Paul!

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
You win as a team and you lose as a team. Everyone has their roles and I think Pauly Walnuts has changed his overall game this year to become an excellent center for us in his role. He's basically supplanted Backes' role as a shut down center but when teamed with 15/36, he also generates more offensive opportunities. That line (15/26/36) shouldn't be touched for the rest of this run in my opinion.

To be fair to Hitchcock, that line(surprisingly) didn't do anything through the first 2 2/3 games against Chicago. We won Games 3 and 4 in part because Hitch broke up that line. It kick started our offense.

I, too, would be hesitant to break them up again now that all three have found their groove again.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Fantastic game 7 by Stastny. Really he's had a great series but that line last night was incredible.

Hitch better not break it up again anytime soon. Keep Fabbri with Stastny please.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I honestly think he's proved that he is worth the money and a #1C or at least can match with any top line in the league. 3 points, GWG in a game 7. I love Statsny and I lived the signing, it looks like its finally paying dividends for the Blues.
He may not be the Center to play with Tarasenko, but I really think he is a fine 1C.

Anyone remember when Jamie Benn had the puck and was just wheeling and then didn't get a shot or even a scoring chance? Who shut that down? Paul Stastny. Its one play, but its a big play.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I honestly think he's proved that he is worth the money and a #1C or at least can match with any top line in the league. 3 points, GWG in a game 7. I love Statsny and I lived the signing, it looks like its finally paying dividends for the Blues.
He may not be the Center to play with Tarasenko, but I really think he is a fine 1C.

Anyone remember when Jamie Benn had the puck and was just wheeling and then didn't get a shot or even a scoring chance? Who shut that down? Paul Stastny. Its one play, but its a big play

Absolutely! The announcers were gushing all over Stastny last night. That play in particular was incredible. He was doing the same thing to Toews last series too.

Good news is he showed up on the scoresheet a lot last night as well.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Absolutely! The announcers were gushing all over Stastny last night. That play in particular was incredible. He was doing the same thing to Toews last series too.

Good news is he showed up on the scoresheet a lot last night as well.

His play away from the puck is nuts! He scores the GWG, 2 assist. Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer work so well together, Stastny is a faceoff machine, he's great.
Toews, Kane, Benn over the course of 14 games combined for 2 goals. Statsny has scored 3 goals. So I have no issues with his production. When we needed him most (game 7s) he put up 1 goal, 4 points in 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad