Player Discussion Start appreciating Monahan

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ignoring the obvious empty net goal he gave up against Minny (he passed back for some reason), he has had multiple odd man rushes and hasn't shot and instead passed. I want him being more greedy.
I think he though Lindholm was behind him so tried to get him the hatty (unfortunately it was Hanifin and that resulted in a turnover)

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Monahan is scoring, and that's great. But you only have to look a little bit to see where his game lacks. I know it's cherry picking but look at the 3-2 goal last night. Monahan doesn't even try to impede the Flyer and he gets an easy tap in.

It happens too frequently for a guy that is expected to lead in all facets of the game. His work in the defensive zone is very much incomplete at this point, and it'll be the difference between him being a Jeff Carter or an Anze Kopitar in terms of bringing value to a team. Both of those guys brought a lot of offensive skill, but only one of them ever contributed around the whole ice.

Monahan is still great even as he is, but I can't help but feel like he could really be the C this team needs if only he got a little more involved when the puck isn't on (and immediately off) his stick in the slot.

Jeff Carter has always been known as a solid defensive player

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
This guy is fantastic. Sometimes you don't need to analyse into margin details, it spoils the fun. Thank you Sean- you are fun to watch.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He's starting to remind me of my favourite of all time, nothing wrong with having this generations version of Stevie Y. He'll never have the elite all around skillset of the prototypical 1A centre. He does and will continue to develop his elite shot, and elite IQ. Guy just knows exactly where to go to make a play or snipe a goal. His skillset is so under appreciated, and he's a goal scoring machine. So happy we drafted him, and we now haver the guy drafted one spot before him also ripping it up on the same line. Outside of Gio and Gaudreau, he's gotta be our most valuable asset. Maybe someone could argue Brodie, but his goal scoring prowess and clutch nature his truly amazing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's starting to remind me of my favourite of all time, nothing wrong with having this generations version of Stevie Y. He'll never have the elite all around skillset of the prototypical 1A centre. He does and will continue to develop his elite shot, and elite IQ. Guy just knows exactly where to go to make a play or snipe a goal. His skillset is so under appreciated, and he's a goal scoring machine. So happy we drafted him, and we now haver the guy drafted one spot before him also ripping it up on the same line. Outside of Gio and Gaudreau, he's gotta be our most valuable asset. Maybe someone could argue Brodie, but his goal scoring prowess and clutch nature his truly amazing.

Stevie Y is a hall of fame player who during a period in 90s was considering one of the best players on the planet.

Im not sure who Monahan reminds me of really. I’ve never seen a guy on pace for like 50 goals have no one talk about him.

Reactions: Shawnofthedeadz

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Mony is a way better goal scorer than Francis. What makes you compare the two?

A lot of it is their style of play and overall IQ. Francis was one of the quietest stars in the NHL for many years but was a very cerebral player for many years. You didn’t always notice Francis but he always played the right way.

No comparison is perfect though, Monahan is a better goalscorer and Francis was a better 2-way player.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Was looking at the stats on NHL today to see where Johnny was in regards to overtaking Kuch for 1st place in the league and saw Monahan now sits at 9th in league scoring with 52 points through 43 games.

He's ahead of a TON of superstars and players allegedly better than him, ie. him not making NHL's laughable top 20 centers in the league. The only centers with more points than him are MacKinnon, McDavid and Point.

On pace to smash his career high with 100+ points this year. Only 12 points needed in the remaining 39 games to set new career high for points. Hoping he can break 40 goals and 100 points total. Would be awesome to see since most fans and media pundits think he isn't that good. He is still massively underappreciated.

Also after an underwhelming start to the year with the top lines +/-, Sean is up to +12, Johnny is at +18 and Lindholm is at +25.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Was looking at the stats on NHL today to see where Johnny was in regards to overtaking Kuch for 1st place in the league and saw Monahan now sits at 9th in league scoring with 52 points through 43 games.

He's ahead of a TON of superstars and players allegedly better than him, ie. him not making NHL's laughable top 20 centers in the league. The only centers with more points than him are MacKinnon, McDavid and Point.

On pace to smash his career high with 100+ points this year. Only 12 points needed in the remaining 39 games to set new career high for points. Hoping he can break 40 goals and 100 points total. Would be awesome to see since most fans and media pundits think he isn't that good. He is still massively underappreciated.

Also after an underwhelming start to the year with the top lines +/-, Sean is up to +12, Johnny is at +18 and Lindholm is at +25.
Pfff he's not even a better centre than Bennett.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It sure will be nice to see the rest of the league suddenly give a shit about Monahan once the Flames start putting together deep playoff runs year after year. You simply can't continue to underrate a guy who's pushing for 100 points, or not for very long, at least.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pfff he's not even a better centre than Bennett.

E9QWY00.gif

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
While Bennett is my current favourite due to being a fearless, nasty, Lanny impersonator (God that moustache is legendary). Monahan is obviously one of the best players in the league, it cannot be argued anymore. Yeah he plays with Gaudreau, but he always knows exactly where to be to make something happen. His playmaking ability has taken a step this year and so has his defensive play. Very lucky to have drafted this guy, he's a beast.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It sure will be nice to see the rest of the league suddenly give a **** about Monahan once the Flames start putting together deep playoff runs year after year. You simply can't continue to underrate a guy who's pushing for 100 points, or not for very long, at least.
Monahan has never been underrated. Every fan base knows about him and everyone knows that he's Calgarys centre. When I think of Calgary I think of him, just like when I think of winnipeg I think of scheiffle

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan has never been underrated. Every fan base knows about him and everyone knows that he's Calgarys centre. When I think of Calgary I think of him, just like when I think of winnipeg I think of scheiffle

He is underrated because people think his success is all Gaudreau and that guys like Horvat are better than him.

Reactions: Cyrano and Nanuuk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

LOL please.

This is the same forum that had a Horvat vs Monahan poll and Horvat won the poll as the player people would take going forward. Let's not forget the fact people still think Draisaitl is a better center than Monahan when Draisaitl doesn't ever play center (and when he does he doesn't put up points). The same forum who think O'Reilly is a better player. I could go on and on.

Monahan doesn't even make the NHL's crap filled Top 20 center list when he is better than half of it, but it's ok, winger Draisaitl made it. LOL

People in his own fanbase don't even think he is a #1 center. Monahan is definitely underrated.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Monahan is badly underrated and always has been, but this year is particularly bad. Every year of his career he's been a 20-goal scorer at minimum. This season he's on pace for almost 100 points but Pavelski is going to the All-Star game over him - Mony has never been an All-Star, by the way. He's consistently ranked low in lists of best centres and forwards despite being one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league. 2nd in his draft class in points (behind MacKinnon) and first in goals. In fact, you have to go back to 2011 to find anyone with more goals than Mony (Landeskog). Basically, the fact that you don't think he's underrated means you're probably underrating him.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
LOL please.

This is the same forum that had a Horvat vs Monahan poll and Horvat won the poll as the player people would take going forward. Let's not forget the fact people still think Draisaitl is a better center than Monahan when Draisaitl doesn't ever play center (and when he does he doesn't put up points). The same forum who think O'Reilly is a better player. I could go on and on.

Monahan doesn't even make the NHL's crap filled Top 20 center list when he is better than half of it, but it's ok, winger Draisaitl made it. LOL

People in his own fanbase don't even think he is a #1 center. Monahan is definitely underrated.
If his own fan base doesn't think that he's a number one center then that's problem . I personally think Horvat is a step down than Monahan but what do I know . Draisitl is McDavids go to guy...you'd think everyone knows that. He can play center but he's kind of like Nylander in the sense that he's much better suited with a center that can. Feed him on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad