Post-Game Talk: Stars burn down Jets village; 2-1 in SO

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am not upset by the loss. Jets played a great game against the best in the league.

Just a comment on Armia here, his stick checking and ability to strip pucks is incredible. He looks solid out there and I really like his puck control.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I am not upset by the loss. Jets played a great game against the best in the league.

Just a comment on Armia here, his stick checking and ability to strip pucks is incredible. He looks solid out there and I really like his puck control.

Should be moved up if you ask me.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Good game. As always, I hate to lose no matter how well we played. Glad I stuck with my protocol and turned the game off before the shootout - not good for my blood pressure to see Mo go with the same shooters and have the same result every frickin' time.:help:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

:laugh:

I like. So does Blake it seems like. John isn't sure though.

Jets played well and would have deserved the 2 points. Dallas won the first period but we won the second and third periods. The PP in the OT HAS to be your game winner. But we showed them how bad Vincent's PP work is so ... yeah .. shootout. I actually didn't bother watching the shootout, I mean, who am I kidding, the Jets will never win a shootout against Seguin, Sharp and Benn. We have to be one of the worst teams in the league in shootouts over the last 5 years.

Last edited:

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
If he keeps playing like this he probably wins it. :laugh: And that's not even factoring in the possibility of him carrying us to the playoffs.

I think Helle only gets serious Calder considerations if he continues playing like this AND the Jets make the playoffs. Otherwise, no ROY consideration for him.

Even then, he's going against guys who have been doing it all year. Especially Gibson in ANA.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Thorburn and how to kill offense. Can't hit, backcheck or make himself available because he's too slow. Can't receive or make pass because he has no hands. Why this guy is on lineup? Because he's tough after whistle? Halischuk is 5x the player he is.

Armia with fresh legs and not on 3vs3.. He has all the ****ing tools and shouldn't be on 4th line.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Thorburn and how to kill offense. Can't hit, backcheck or make himself available because he's too slow. Can't receive or make pass because he has no hands. Why this guy is on lineup? Because he's tough after whistle? Halischuk is 5x the player he is.

Armia with fresh legs and not on 3vs3.. He has all the ****ing tools and shouldn't be on 4th line.

The funny thing is Thorburn is not slow. He skates quite well and reads the game positionally. He is lacking in overall talent and has hands of stone, so yes offensive black hole he is.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The funny thing is Thorburn is not slow. He skates quite well and reads the game positionally. He is lacking in overall talent and has hands of stone, so yes offensive black hole he is.

Thor would make a really decent coach one day. He knows the game really well and knows what he's supposed to do and where to be, and he's quick enough to get there. When he gets the puck, he knows what he's supposed to do, but he's not talented enough to do it, as you say.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Thorburn the guy with one less goal than the Danish guy who everyone raves about and that without PP time and a third less ice time than the Danish splash.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yup a Thorburn, all of his career goals.
And 10 years older than that Danish guy.

Hope the Danish guy gets to stay with Perrault and Schiefele. They can process offence at the same level.

Don't put him with Burmi and Thor...

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yup a Thorburn, all of his career goals.
And 10 years older than that Danish guy.

Hope the Danish guy gets to stay with Perrault and Schiefele. They can process offence at the same level.

Don't put him with Burmi and Thor...

thankfully, Coach Maurice doesn't come to this board to get line ideas.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm starting to see Armia's skills more consistently. This was the first game I saw him repeatedly stripping pucks and making nice calm plays in both the defensive and offensive zone. Really hoping he can move up in the lineup and show us more of that.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
C'mon Sip - it's not the kids fault he was rushed into the NHL.
This year is all about Ehlers learning, adding what he can, and not getting killed.
It is pretty clear that by not keeping our depth from last year has impacted this team but here is hoping a step back yields a leap forward.
I can see Ehlers being the type to light it up next year

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Couple of broken sticks in OT was unlucky. I thought we played very well, kept a game against Dallas to 1-1, kept them to low shots, and on the road too. Good Game.

Why doesn't everyone get a fresh stick for OT or PP/PK situations?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Broken sticks from poor shots.

Quick thoughts...

Very strong game... Deserved better.

SLW - Generally strong game. Started slowly. Stafford with a lot of rough moments. Little lacked sharpness. Wheeler working hard.

PSE - Really strong game. Scheifele was bad on the first goal, but strong after that. Perreault very good. Ehlers had a very strong game. He needs to stay with that line.

LLB - A good game. Lowry was very strong. Really liked his game all over the ice. Ladd was okay. Looks like a 3rd liner. Burmi was fine... Not as good as recent games.

TCA - Fantastic game by the 4th line. Copp was really strong again, often against top lines. Armia consistently strong. Very smart and good with the puck. Thorbs is just clumsy.

Trouba/Buff... Good game. Trouba was strong again. Buff continues to be steady but quiet.

Enstrom/Myers... Great game by Enstrom. Masterful. Myers also strong. Really like how this pair is shaping up.

Stuart/Chiarot... They've been worse, but I have a hard time watching them. Chiarot a bit unlucky with the roughing penalty call.

Hellebuyck... Another steady, pro effort. Love how calm he is.

Yes please. Reading the live comments yesterday, there are so many fans down on this kid -- what the heck do you expect from a rookie whose been brow-beat by playing with Thorbs for 3/4 of the season. Give him a chance FFS

Regarding the 4th line -- another strong game and still only ~9 mins playing time! Stu & Char also had very low playing time (a great sign); have to wonder if Stu wasn't a little shaken up by that hit

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Damn this team giving me hope again! How can they go from being so horrible to looking so good. It just doesn't seem possible to have such a wide spectrum of game quality, but here we are.

We've all said it before, but if they played like this every game, we would be a few moves away from being a playoff team every year. I just can't explain the differences with the same players.

Very good and entertaining game last night. so many players stood out for me, the entire PSE line, Lowry looked good again, Armia and Copp are making a case to have good NHL careers. Myers/Enstrom was exceptionally good last night. Myers skates the puck up the ice incredibly well. He doesn't look like he's moving fast because he's so big, but he gets behind the opposing net so quick! the Jets need set plays to take advantage of this.

Last night's OT PP was a perfect example of why they need to get someone in front of the net and get some dirty goals. We don't have Benn and Seguin, so cause a scrum in front and shoot the puck in there. We could have had 5 or 6 shots on goal during that PP, but it seems that no one is allowed to shoot but Buff. It's like the lottery, you can't score if you don't shoot.

Anyway, great game and I wish Dr Jekyll would stay and Mr Hyde would take a hike.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
A creature of habit who loves his vets -- need we say anymore:shakehead

Is this the Jets second shootout of the entire season? Hard to call something a stubborn pattern when there's been only two in 41 games. I guess it would be nice to see Perrault get a shot there. Scheifele was injured apparently. Ladd is good at shootouts regardless of game performance (and he scored). Wheeler is the Jets leading scorer, so I think it might be almost ridiculous to not give him a shot. so that leaves Little. I don't think I can fault Maurice here too much.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Oh, and on Ehlers..... that kid makes an incredible play a couple of time a game that we just can't capitalize on. Great plays and passes, he will be an assist machine some day even if he isn't scoring goals.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Thorbs remains a constant player for one reason -- teacher's pet (at least he's out of the top 9 FOR NOW)

Agree, Halischuk looks much better in that spot than Thorbs.

As strong as Armia has been playing, I'm in favor of keeping him there for now because he is still building up his comfort level in the NHL (I like that) & I really haven't spotted who needs to be moved out of the top 9 right now (unless Ladd which won't happen)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
:laugh:

I like. So does Blake it seems like. John isn't sure though.

Jets played well and would have deserved the 2 points. Dallas won the first period but we won the second and third periods. The PP in the OT HAS to be your game winner. But we showed them how bad Vincent's PP work is so ... yeah .. shootout. I actually didn't bother watching the shootout, I mean, who am I kidding, the Jets will never win a shootout against Seguin, Sharp and Benn. We have to be one of the worst teams in the league in shootouts over the last 5 years.

Looks kinda average to me. Winnipeg Jets Shootout Record:

2011: 4W 4L
2012: 2W 3L
2013: 8W 6L
2014: 7W 6L
2015: 0W 2L

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Yes please. Reading the live comments yesterday, there are so many fans down on this kid -- what the heck do you expect from a rookie whose been brow-beat by playing with Thorbs for 3/4 of the season. Give him a chance FFS

Regarding the 4th line -- another strong game and still only ~9 mins playing time! Stu & Char also had very low playing time (a great sign); have to wonder if Stu wasn't a little shaken up by that hit

I think this is how it would be every game where they stay out of the box, and for the Jets, only two penalty kills is like a holiday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad