Post-Game Talk: Stars burn down Jets village; 2-1 in SO

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
The funny thing is Thorburn is not slow. He skates quite well and reads the game positionally. He is lacking in overall talent and has hands of stone, so yes offensive black hole he is.

I agree, as far as straight line speed goes he's not bad, jumps into the play and tries to put himself into scoring positions. Just doesn't have the talent to complete plays.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Damn this team giving me hope again! How can they go from being so horrible to looking so good. It just doesn't seem possible to have such a wide spectrum of game quality, but here we are.

We've all said it before, but if they played like this every game, we would be a few moves away from being a playoff team every year. I just can't explain the differences with the same players.

Very good and entertaining game last night. so many players stood out for me, the entire PSE line, Lowry looked good again, Armia and Copp are making a case to have good NHL careers. Myers/Enstrom was exceptionally good last night. Myers skates the puck up the ice incredibly well. He doesn't look like he's moving fast because he's so big, but he gets behind the opposing net so quick! the Jets need set plays to take advantage of this.

Last night's OT PP was a perfect example of why they need to get someone in front of the net and get some dirty goals. We don't have Benn and Seguin, so cause a scrum in front and shoot the puck in there. We could have had 5 or 6 shots on goal during that PP, but it seems that no one is allowed to shoot but Buff. It's like the lottery, you can't score if you don't shoot.

Anyway, great game and I wish Dr Jekyll would stay and Mr Hyde would take a hike.

Game in, game out.. watching our PP & PK perform is a perfect example of why we need a special teams coach:cry:

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Oh, and on Ehlers..... that kid makes an incredible play a couple of time a game that we just can't capitalize on. Great plays and passes, he will be an assist machine some day even if he isn't scoring goals.

I see him leading this team in points for years. He is as pure and talented offensive player I've seen in a Jets uniform in a very long time. Give him some time to adjust to and learn the NHL game and than watch out... skill and god given talent always rises to the top- thankfully for us - he has this in spades:handclap:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I see him leading this team in points for years. He is as pure and talented offensive player I've seen in a Jets uniform in a very long time. Give him some time to adjust to and learn the NHL game and than watch out... skill and god given talent always rises to the top- thankfully for us - he has this in spades:handclap:

I agree, it may take a year or two, but then he would only be 21!!! :amazed:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thorburn and how to kill offense. Can't hit, backcheck or make himself available because he's too slow. Can't receive or make pass because he has no hands. Why this guy is on lineup? Because he's tough after whistle? Halischuk is 5x the player he is.

Armia with fresh legs and not on 3vs3.. He has all the ****ing tools and shouldn't be on 4th line.

Funny How when Scoreburn was on the 3rd line with Burmi and they were sucking the life out of Ehlers offense there were haters saying that was no excuse for Nik's scoring slump. Now he gets back with Scheif and Matty P and he is producing again?

I know Joel is your guy but I think for now you can celebrate the fact that unlike Buffalo, 4th line or not, he is actually getting a shot here and he is making the most out of it so far. Mo's not an idiot even a blind person can see Joel is doing really well on the 4th line with Copp and he just needs to keep bringing it. In the past the knock on him fairly or unfairly was consistency but if he can keep his nose clean and continue to play this well defensively his role will expand. I have been one of the posters backing him from day one and I love his game.

TNSE had a pretty good run for a few seasons when it came to rookie deployment. They brought in Trouba, Sheifele, and Lowry at the correct times but then 2015-16 hit and they have had a much tougher go. Petan got his shot and wasn't close to being ready, Copp got his shot and I think he is doing fine. Ehlers has had a very solid shot with mixed results, in fairness they were put in a tougher spot with him due to him not being able to play in the AHL. Then on the flip side they didn't give Helly a shot and early returns are indicating that might cost the Jets a playoff spot this season and that is a massive **** up. Also they waited to give Joel his shot and so far it looks like he was definitely more ready than Petan and certainly allot more suited to a 4th line 2 way role than Nic ever was. You win some you lose some and it's not an exact science, definitely a moving target, 20-20 hindsight makes us all so smart, but as long and Armia keeps doing exactly what he is doing he isn't going anywhere except up IMO. In some ways Joel on the 4th line being able to play a more expanded role shines a more positive light on him. Largely due to Joel I am now pretty comfortable with the 4th line being on the ice and I think I have been able to say that for 2 months in the last 4 1/2 years. That is a really big thing.

If you want though you can continue to bash away at how TNSE are ****ing it up and I say to you "welcome to the club". :laugh:

Last edited:

Derfel*

Any updates on Scheifele today? I haven't had a chance to look around.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think Helle only gets serious Calder considerations if he continues playing like this AND the Jets make the playoffs. Otherwise, no ROY consideration for him.

Even then, he's going against guys who have been doing it all year. Especially Gibson in ANA.

If he continues to play like this, we WILL get into the playoffs. Even if he tapers off a bit but goes .925 the rest of the way, and we keep scoring the way we have, we will end the season with a strongly positive goal diff.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Much better game than vs. the Preds. Would have been nice to get 2 points, but hard to complain about a loser point vs the top team in the west at the end of a long road trip. Hellebuyck with another very strong game. The kid's a beauty.

I agree, as far as straight line speed goes he's not bad, jumps into the play and tries to put himself into scoring positions. Just doesn't have the talent to complete plays.

gmTYa2m+-+Imgur.gif

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Much better game than vs. the Preds. Would have been nice to get 2 points, but hard to complain about a loser point vs the top team in the west at the end of a long road trip. Hellebuyck with another very strong game. The kid's a beauty.

gmTYa2m+-+Imgur.gif

Praise be unto him

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007

gmTYa2m+-+Imgur.gif

Well, he can't do that consistently. :)

Granted if that was Burmi/Armia who made that play it would be proof of their incredible talent and it would cue demands they be moved up the lines.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

Praise be unto him

Didn't Thor himself say something along the lines of "it looked great on the replay, but the puck hit Miller's pad and I was lucky it jumped back to my stick" or something like that? :P not to take anything away from it. Thor has made me appreciate him on the 4th line, I was a pretty big hater before.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Didn't Thor himself say something along the lines of "it looked great on the replay, but the puck hit Miller's pad and I was lucky it jumped back to my stick" or something like that? :P not to take anything away from it. Thor has made me appreciate him on the 4th line, I was a pretty big hater before.

I remember seeing a replay from a different angle you can see it bounce off of Miller's pad and he taps it in. It happens pretty quick though so at normal speed it looks like a toe-drag.

But yep, he has decent top speed, and he shows it there.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I'm fine with Thorbs on the 4th line and really won't complain much at all about him there beyond a gaff any other player anywhere up the lineup might also make. Any time Scoreburn is playing on the 4th line I'm quite happy with what he brings, luck or not.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Guess you can't go on & on about how bad Scheif's is anymore so you found someone else who will be very good to pick on :naughty:

Ever heard of tough love?

Seriously I get tired of folks over-hyping certain guys, Ehlers and Armia are prime examples of that, Ehlers has two goals in the last 30 games with one of those being an empty netter and Armia has 1 goal and zero assists in ten games.

Ehlers looked great in his first 10 games and then something happened, other teams saw the film and pretty much neutered him and have effectively shut him down, right now I see a guy who really shies away from any kind of physical play, tries to force things, turns the puck over more than he should and is forcing passes that aren't there.

Armia has the same point total (1 goal, 0 assists) at about the same number of games with the Jets as Petan when he was sent down, both played on the fourth line. In the AHL Petan has almost double the points that Armia got in the same number of games.

Personally I feel Armia, Ehlers and Petan should be playing big minutes in the AHL honing their games but because of a lack of depth at forward (thanks Chevy) the Jets need them here ready or not.

Last edited:

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
[mod] ... The Jets have played the most road games (24) in the league including a league high 9 back to back games. This home stand and a favourable schedule down the stretch ...they will make their push and make the playoffs.

F'ing rights. Go Jets Go!!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Seriously I get tired of folks over-hyping certain guys, Ehlers and Armia are prime examples of that, Ehlers has two goals in the last 30 games with one of those being an empty netter and Armia has 1 goal and zero assists in ten games.

Ehlers looked great in his first 10 games and then something happened, other teams saw the film and pretty much neutered him and have effectively shut him down, right now I see a guy who really shies away from any kind of physical play, tries to force things, turns the puck over more than he should and is forcing passes that aren't there.

Armia has the same point total (1 goal, 0 assists) at about the same number of games with the Jets as Petan when he was sent down, both played on the fourth line. In the AHL Petan has almost double the points that Armia got in the same number of games.

Personally I feel both Armia and Petan should be playing big minutes in the AHL honing their games but because of a lack of depth at forward (thanks Chevy) the Jets need them here ready or not.

This is pretty much spot on.

Regarding the last point, I have liked Armia's game a bit more than Petan, but the development comment here can't be overlooked. A true draft and develop organization would be getting these guys lots of ice time with the Moose this year. They can and should be key contributors to this team in the near future.

I really want Armia to work out so we can look back very favorably at the trade with Buffalo. Chevy needs a 'win' to make up for some of the other boneheaded stuff he's done.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Oh, and on Ehlers..... that kid makes an incredible play a couple of time a game that we just can't capitalize on. Great plays and passes, he will be an assist machine some day even if he isn't scoring goals.

While he can score goals, his main strength has always been setting up plays.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Ever heard of tough love?

Personally I feel both Armia and Petan should be playing big minutes in the AHL honing their games but because of a lack of depth at forward (thanks Chevy) the Jets need them here ready or not.

Come on Sip - you know as well as anyone what happened to bring Ehlers down from a "rookie of year candidate" to "neutered". Don't know how many times he tried to set up Thorbs or tried to figure out Burmi before he realized, geez I guess I have to do it all myself here.

I hear you re: the overhyping, just you are way overboard the other way.

I know that Ehlers will be a great player someday -- not even close to showing that yet, but some of the moves that guy makes just show how good he will be. Armia - great run; really hoping he can keep it up; still not convinced by a long shot.

Petan -- totally miscast to expect him to be a 4th liner. Set him back a pile, but I am pretty sure that he is going to be a dang good NHLer someday once he is given a decent role & not miscast as a 4th liner.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Come on Sip - you know as well as anyone what happened to bring Ehlers down from a "rookie of year candidate" to "neutered". Don't know how many times he tried to set up Thorbs or tried to figure out Burmi before he realized, geez I guess I have to do it all myself here.

I hear you re: the overhyping, just you are way overboard the other way.

I know that Ehlers will be a great player someday -- not even close to showing that yet, but some of the moves that guy makes just show how good he will be. Armia - great run; really hoping he can keep it up; still not convinced by a long shot.

Petan -- totally miscast to expect him to be a 4th liner. Set him back a pile, but I am pretty sure that he is going to be a dang good NHLer someday once he is given a decent role & not miscast as a 4th liner.

Ehlers is a totally different player with Scheifele and Perreault than Burmi and Thorbs. What a surprise! :sarcasm:

Just like Ladd is a totally different player with Lowry and Burmi than with Little and Wheeler. (Ladd had 1 assist on the recent 5-game road trip).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad