Post-Game Talk: Stars 4, Canucks 2: Oh no. We lost again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Toilet bowl special. Question of which team was going to screw up worse. Thankfully we did.

Both defenses stank

Canucks put any pressure on their defense and they cough it up for great scoring chances. Some of the best passes the Canuck forwards got all game were delivered directly up by the Dallas defense. Hamhuis doesn't look like he can play anymore.

And our defense was worse.

Edler wandered around his end constantly backing into Miller. Again flagging at the puck and consistently behind the play. (off season trade isn't the worse idea)

Hutton again had people getting behind him for good chances (like Hemsky in the first). Total puck watcher and sliding back into form he showed early in the year.

Stecher was getting run down and made a terrible turnover on the 4th goal.

Sbisa was brutal. Worst of the lot. Skated like he was wading thru a swamp. There's no defense of him given efforts like this.

Beiga - maybe his worst game. Has to be skating well to survive and in this one he wasn't. Got caught standing still a lot.

Only defensemen who showed up was Tryamkin. When he starts moving up and pushing the play you can get a bit of Chara vibe. Like who is going to get in front of this train going to the net. Nice to see him handle Benn so well (although you got to hate it, tank wise, if Benn is out o their lineup moving ahead). Benn a legit tough guy and Tryamkin was able to toss him around.

Given what we saw tonight might be that we call up some players over the last part of the year and have a look. Put someone like Edler on the IR as everyone has got some sort on injury by this part of the season.

Didn't think Miller looked very sharp. Wonder if Backmann gets back in.

Of the forwards I thought some brought good pressure on the forcheck. Maybe the best was Baertschi who has become very decent in the area of forechecking (total difference from how he played in Junior and how he came into the League). Now looks like a bit of skilled grinder. Also Boucher showed well at times. Moves the puck quickly when play is there.

Also, Granlund got himself a lot of good chances. Went to the net hard and showed some touch. Certainly wasn't shying away from contact. Thought he was the best player on his line as the Sedins continued to regress. Play of Sedins is now bad in every zone. And is eerily strange how they can be similarly good at the same time then similarly bad at same time. Never seems to be an individual thing with them. Could say at this point, that every season they have gotten worse as the season has gone on, and that has been dramatically evident recently.

Fourth line had some good shifts and LaBate should have scored. Changed the momentum a couple of times in the game. In the first were the leaders in starting a number of good shifts that eventually led to the Baertschi goal. Still they mostly showed they were plumbers handling the puck and screwed up any scoring chances they did create.

Megna per usual got zero done. Same with Sutter. Maybe should shut him down. When ever he gets the chance to shoot the puck, lately, he doesn't indicating maybe he just can use the wrist well enough to get his shot off. All Sutter is doing is shadowing players and not really using his stick much at all.

Shore seems like a player of so little consequence it's a wonder why he was picked up at all. Probably be just as well off if they had called up someone from the Alaska Aces.

Anyhow, it's good news that the Canucks basically screwed up a home stand that had the potential of messing up their lottery hopes. Just hope they can carry this losing streak onto the road.

And you wonder when we can stop talking like this and get our sanity back. I'd say probably years.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Like tpm would ever show off a picture of herself on this board.;)
:sarcasm:

I don't actually exist, I'm just a body-less entity created out of bad sports luck and sarcasm.

Ah hell. Here's ugly coat. Still needs a unicorn or tiger graphic glued on the back:

[collapse="ugly"]
oVMtTXHl.jpg

iCGJaVgl.jpg

kOGc57Ql.jpg

[/collapse]

Said ugly jacket is still probably a better hockey player than Jayson Megna.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don't actually exist, I'm just a body-less entity created out of bad sports luck and sarcasm.

Ah hell. Here's ugly coat. Still needs a unicorn or tiger graphic glued on the back:

[collapse="ugly"]
oVMtTXHl.jpg

iCGJaVgl.jpg

kOGc57Ql.jpg

[/collapse]

This jacket is beautiful what you talking aboot, Megna ain't got sh!t.
:handclap:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Alright this seems like a good spot to leave this video

Can't wait for Tryamkin to get his true mean self unleashed, right now he still feels kinda polite to me. Could just be him working on his game and skill first, which I'm totally fine with.

The kid basically nudged Benn flying, then manhandled him like a Pomeranian.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Toilet bowl special. Question of which team was going to screw up worse. Thankfully we did.

Both defenses stank

Canucks put any pressure on their defense and they cough it up for great scoring chances. Some of the best passes the Canuck forwards got all game were delivered directly up by the Dallas defense. Hamhuis doesn't look like he can play anymore.

Edler wandered around his end constantly backing into Miller. Again flagging at the puck and consistently behind the play. (off season trade isn't the worse idea)

Hutton again had people getting behind him for good chances (like Hemsky in the first). Total puck watcher and sliding back into form he showed early in the year.

Sbisa was brutal. Worst of the lot. Skated like he was wading thru a swamp. There's no defense of him given efforts like this.

Beiga - maybe his worst game. Has to be skating well to survive and in this one he wasn't. Got caught standing still a lot.

Only defensemen who showed up was Tryamkin. When he starts moving up and pushing the play you can get a bit of Chara vibe. Like who is going to get in front of this train going to the net. Nice to see him handle Benn so well (although you got to hate it, tank wise, if Benn is out o their lineup moving ahead). Benn a legit tough guy and Tryamkin was able to toss him around.

Given what we saw tonight might be that we call up some players over the last part of the year and have a look. Put someone like Edler on the IR as everyone has got some sort on injury by this part of the season.

Of the forwards I thought some brought good pressure on the forcheck. Maybe the best was Baertschi who has become very decent in the area of forechecking (total difference from how he played in Junior and how he came into the League). Now looks like a bit of skilled grinder. Also Boucher showed well at times. Moves the puck quickly when play is there.

Also, Granlund got himself a lot of good chances. Went to the net hard and showed some touch. Certainly wasn't shying away from contact. Thought he was the best player on his line as the Sedins continued to regress. Play of Sedins is now bad in every zone. And is eerily strange how they can be similarly good at the same time then similarly bad at same time. Never seems to be an individual thing with them. Could say at this point, that every season they have gotten worse as the season has gone on, and that has been dramatically evident recently.

Fourth line had some good shifts and LaBate should have scored. Changed the momentum a couple of times in the game. In the first were the leaders in starting a number of good shifts that eventually led to the Baertschi goal. Still they mostly showed they were plumbers handling the puck and screwed up any scoring chances they did create.

Megna per usual got zero done. Same with Sutter. Maybe should shut him down. When ever he gets the chance to shoot the puck, lately, he doesn't indicating maybe he just can use the wrist well enough to get his shot off. All Sutter is doing is shadowing players and not really using his stick much at all.

Shore seems like a player of so little consequence it's a wonder why he was picked up at all. Probably be just as well off if they had called up someone from the Alaska Aces.

Anyhow, it's good news that the Canucks basically screwed up a home stand that had the potential of messing up their lottery hopes. Just hope they can carry this losing streak onto the road.

And you wonder when we can stop talking like this and get our sanity back. I'd say probably years.

As usual, basically agree with all your points.

- Canucks management really and I mean really need to look into asking Edler to waive. Not only does he no longer fit with the team long term, there's time I question if he's even trying.

- This game highlights the importance of Tanev. When we have Tanev the defense is multiple times better, he turns sbisa and himself in to a capable shutdown pairing, and take the tough minutes away from others. I see quite a bit of talk about trading him. I think the second we trade him, we would regret it.

- I've been impressed with Baertschi this year. The skill was always there, but I see more and more compete in this player. Now it seems like this player is programmed to engage physically and fight for pucks.

- I think if we actually hit rock bottom, then we can get out of this rather quickly.
The key is to finish low enough to get one of Patrick and Hischier. And then the outlook of this team would be much different.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What a terrible team. Lost again. Missed it. Glad i missed it. :rant:

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
As usual, basically agree with all your points.

- Canucks management really and I mean really need to look into asking Edler to waive. Not only does he no longer fit with the team long term, there's time I question if he's even trying.

- This game highlights the importance of Tanev. When we have Tanev the defense is multiple times better, he turns sbisa and himself in to a capable shutdown pairing, and take the tough minutes away from others. I see quite a bit of talk about trading him. I think the second we trade him, we would regret it.

- I've been impressed with Baertschi this year. The skill was always there, but I see more and more compete in this player. Now it seems like this player is programmed to engage physically and fight for pucks.

- I think if we actually hit rock bottom, then we can get out of this rather quickly.
The key is to finish low enough to get one of Patrick and Hischier. And then the outlook of this team would be much different.

Sorry, I just can't see Edler having any value even if he waived. Maybe we can get one of Dallas crummy goalies and their equally putrid contract. That's the thing - all the great promotion and pumping the tires of the veterans, but so many key ones are useless penny-stock now.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Sorry, I just can't see Edler having any value even if he waived. Maybe we can get one of Dallas crummy goalies and their equally putrid contract. That's the thing - all the great promotion and pumping the tires of the veterans, but so many key ones are useless penny-stock now.

Well what would be his value if we keep him, its only likely to get lower.

Personally I rather we let our young D play next year. Let Hutton play with Tanev, and let Stecher play with a partner like Tryamkin who can build chemistry for the future.

And if they want another veteran D to be here in case one of Hutton/Stecher/Tryamkin gets overwhelmed, there might be options at the expansion draft and free agency for very little cost.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

I dunno. I think there's a few trades over the last few years that show you might be able to get a GM to bite on name value or a player's previous history.

If a contending team loses a top-4 D in the expansion draft maybe one will panic.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think Edler would have a lot of value around the league. He's had a strong year in general considering he's been playing with Stecher, an undersized rookie (who is a gamer, we all know that). But as far as trading him goes I don't think he would waive, and as it stands we're not overflowing with LHD as we are on the RHS.

We definitely need to split up the Sedins and scale their minutes back. They've just run out of gas.

I'd honestly test the market for Tanev too. Yes it would suck to lose our rock on defense but I worry about his durability. But the return would be substantial and this team is wasting his prime years.

What happened to Gaunce today?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Didn't you post a picture of you in your london jersey and horvat last season?

Unless that was your evil twin. Or somebody you just recruited off the street to throw off hfboards.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
People disapointed that we lost? I thought we all agreed that at this point we should just tank and go for the high pick :naughty:.

We need to be the worst team, because knowing our luck, we'll likely drop a couple of spots..

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Both defenses stank

Our sanity back? Was that even real life back 5-6 years ago when we Canuck fans dominated hfboards? I remember the arrogance we had and that swagger we had on every thread in the main boards. Zoom to the present... it's just embarrassing now, I just hide in my cave (that is our dedicated Canuck board). Haven't had an infraction since the 2011 season.

You're correct, it's going to be some more years before we get our sanity back. Lets hope its' not a decade.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tryamkin was very good. Liked Baertschi, Horvat, Granlund and Boucher as well.

Why WD continues to use a clearly injured Sutter in some of these situations is insane. He probably shouldn't be in those situations healthy yet he's still out on there with one hand.

Sedins are stealing money at this point. As mentioned above, not the first season they've gone into the tank down the stretch.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why WD continues to use a clearly injured Sutter in some of these situations is insane.

Benning was on 1040 just yesterday and said both Sutter and Tanev are fine, and won't be shut down this year. He said there are other veterans who will be shut down for surgery, though.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Huge setback to our playoff hopes.

The good:
-Luongo was good. Loss isn't on him.
-Mitchell is a rock on defense and helping to ease Bieksa...
-Kesler will be captain one day. Love his hussle.

Meh:
-Sedins and Pyatt didnt accomplish much this game. You have to wonder whether or not the Sedins can ever lead this team on a SC run.
-Linden looks old. Hopefully he retires soon.

Terrible:
-Bulis is trash. 20 goal scorer my ass.
-Naslund has seriously regressed. Wonder if he just calls it quits after this season.

I don't understand why we arent at least looking at playing Moran, Schultz, Santala or Raymond

Nice. Let me try...

The Good
- Donnie Lever what a bundle of hustle. The guy's got future captain written all over him.
- Sedelbaur (or however you spell it). This kid's got a sick release. Gonna score 50 one day. Book it.
- Blight... So excited about this kid. 20 years old and already leading the team in scoring. Yeah, I'm going to be sporting a Blight Canucks sweater soon. Liking the away colours best.

The Meh
- Snepsts... boy he makes a lot of mistakes. Tough as nails though, and full of effort. Could develop into a solid 5/6 guy
- Sanderson hope he can keep up the decent play, we need his veteran leadership
- Maniago not too bad for an old guy. Think he's getting tired though. Too bad Ridley sucks so much.

The Bad
- Ververgaert... I had so much hope after last year, but his game seems to be regressing. He can't get by on his mustache alone.
- Kearns how does he pick up 3 assists and still end up -3?
- Fortier why does Kurtenbach keep playing him?

The worst thing is we can't even outsuck Colorado and Detroit in this turtle race. We could really use a guy like McCourt or Beck. But so long as we still have a chance at Gillis or Crombeen, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad