Post-Game Talk: Stars 3 - Jets 2

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
On the whole I like what I see with the Jets this season but a few things jump out to me. Schmidt has passed his best before date; Helly is not playing to his potential; and Morrissey is not in the running for the Norris. I’m thinking that they’ll work things out. At a minimum a definite playoff team. Go Jets Go!

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
When the Jets scored to make it 3-2, you should have seen the smile on my mother's face. Unfortunately, that's as close as the Jets got. I give this game three mother's love out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Prediction Contest has been posted for the game against the Devils, so you can start getting your guesses in. No one has signed up to make Tuesday's GDT, so if you would like to post one, now is your time! See you guys then...:thumbu:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
On the whole I like what I see with the Jets this season but a few things jump out to me. Schmidt has passed his best before date; Helly is not playing to his potential; and Morrissey is not in the running for the Norris. I’m thinking that they’ll work things out. At a minimum a definite playoff team. Go Jets Go!
Hellebuyck definitely has more to give but he's notorious for sub par starts after a few days rest.

Morrissey for me has been very up and down. I think last season opened eyes around the league and he's getting heavily scouted now. I still think his escapability is sublime but he will have to adjust his game with the extra attention.

Schmidt has been awful this year but he was hurt and I think he had his best game of the year today. He says he's finally feeling good again so hopefully we'll see better from him since the org seems allergic to make a D move like calling up Capo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck definitely has more to give but he's notorious for sub par starts after a few days rest.

Morrissey for me has been very up and down. I think last season opened eyes around the league and he's getting heavily scouted now. I still think his escapability is sublime but he will have to adjust his game with the extra attention.

Schmidt has been awful this year but he was hurt and I think he had his best game of the year today. He says he's finally feeling good again so hopefully we'll see better from him since the org seems allergic to make a D move like calling up Capo

Agreed about JoMo. He's being game planned against. The coverage on him is much tighter so he's having a lot more of his shots blocked. He'll have to make some adjustments. Still 10 points in 14 games is pacing just shy of 60 points. He's also been pretty positive in goal differential and his underlying numbers are solid.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Second period was painful to watch. Boring period but tons of unforced turnovers. Glad they pushed back and Helly gave them a chance in the third. Be nice for either goalie to steal a game. Haven’t gotten good goaltending this season.
Second was painful, but about the goaltending…no…we did have better early on, way early on in preseason, we just sent them back to the farm.
Good goaltending is firmly in the pipeline, it’s too bad we won’t see it for a while. Hope I live long enough!

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

Chisholm was the best Moose dman last year and he’s stapled to the press box.

Reactions: Cypruss and Jet

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Second period was painful to watch. Boring period but tons of unforced turnovers. Glad they pushed back and Helly gave them a chance in the third. Be nice for either goalie to steal a game. Haven’t gotten good goaltending this season.
Agreed. I think the game was a good reminder of the great cliche: you've got to play a full 60 minutes. Good teams need reminders every now and again. Press as you may in the 3rd period, and press they did, if you make enough bonehead plays early in the game you'll never make up for them. Perfetti getting outmuscled on the Stars second goal as Scheifele coasted by (on the aggravating PP!) and then that sloppy turnover by Connor as Scheif drifted by on the third goal were quintessential unforced errors. Clean one of those up and the team gets an overtime point at worst. This was a winnable game, or at least a coin flip, without those plays.

Ps. Despite the weak play on the SH goal against, I'm really starting to appreciate Perfetti's potential.

Reactions: LowLefty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not going to win them all and it's not like we got pumped 6-0 and out played badly. Good push back in the 3rd period, thought we were going to tie it up. One thing though, i would like Schmidt sat for a couple of games and give one of our other defenseman a try. Too bad Perfetti hit the post on his breakaway.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chisholm was the best Moose dman last year and he’s stapled to the press box.
That too. I don't know why you bring Schmidt back after injury and keep playing him even though he was a nightmare about every time he touched the ice. He's never been great defensively, but at least he could generate offense. Now he does neither.

Why play him over a guy who might actually give you reliable minutes and develop into something? At least try it ffs.

When Vilardi comes back is going to force the Jets hand, but it shouldn't have to be forced.

I especially feel bad for Capo because if he wasn't stick in the minors because we don't want to lose him, I'm sure he'd be in the nhl somewhere

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That too. I don't know why you bring Schmidt back after injury and keep playing him even though he was a nightmare about every time he touched the ice. He's never been great defensively, but at least he could generate offense. Now he does neither.

Why play him over a guy who might actually give you reliable minutes and develop into something? At least try it ffs.

When Vilardi comes back is going to force the Jets hand, but it shouldn't have to be forced.

I especially feel bad for Capo because if he wasn't stick in the minors because we don't want to lose him, I'm sure he'd be in the nhl somewhere
No one is forcing Capos’s hand. If he thinks he is nhl worthy and his team won’t play him he can ask for or demand a trade.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’m just having we are a lot better than last year at this point. In the playoffs last year we were barely a snack so slow to get my hopes up.

Reactions: MardyBum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad