Movies: Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi, for those who have seen it! (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
And the scene with the "horses", oh man, that was bad.

IMO Rogue One was much better than both TFA and TLJ. Felt more dark and dramatic, with a great ending, unlike the mishmash of "endings" in TLJ.
Rogue One is the best SW movie in my opinion since Return of the Jedi. Incredible movie. Feels like Star Wars, has a story like Star Wars, really... it WAS Star Wars.

TLJ is just some movie about people in space with SW characters.

Reactions: Merya

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I'm really confused about the movie. I can't even say if I like it. It's flawed, but there is a big part of my confusion that comes from the fact that it's so different from anything we've seen from Star Wars. I remember going out of TFA and feel really really happy. I loved it. Now, two years later, I have difficulties doing a rewatch. I have a feeling that, once I'm used to the fact that TLJ is so different, I will love it. And that's probably why hardcore SW fans hate the movie: it's so different than what we've seen before. Every action the heroes took in the previous movies were a success. Isn't annoying? Now, we see missions that fail. And I like it.

anyway, I'm supposed to see it again tomorrow, so we'll see if I like it more after a second viewing. Probably.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Every action the heroes took in the previous movies were a success. Isn't annoying? Now, we see missions that fail. And I like it.

Would we really call most (any) of Empire Strikes Back a success? Lost a Rebel base, lost Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt, lost a hand, and an emotional gut punch of a reveal.

Attack of the Clones felt similarly bleak in that Anakin and Obi-Wan lost a fight to Dooku, and the Jedi needed a clone army to survive the day, with the audience knowing that these were the Stormtroopers that spelled doom for everyone.

Thinking about it, Revenge of the Sith was mostly good guys getting their teeth kicked in.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Also disappointed in how Phasma was handled.

She showed up and I got excited. Then 2 minutes later... Shes dead. What was the point of giving her almost 0 screen time and killing her off? Did that really advance the plot? Not really. Sure, Finn got a cool moment. But he already had a bunch. There was no real need or climax to her demise.

Such a shame and wasted plotline. Especially with her book.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There needs to be time to process this movie for everyone. I see all these Best. Movie. Ever. or It Was Awful on social media and it's too soon. Give six weeks to process it before declaring it's better than Empire. Same thing happens every time a new Bond film, or Marvel film comes out, it's the adrenaline and freshness.

I will say as a movie I don't feel in entirely worked. Pacing issues, some "80s bad guy logic" by The First Order, and there were moments where it felt like they had to just do a space battle to get it off a checklist.

There were parts that were great though like the entire opening, Luke/Rey on the Island Planet, Poe's arc.

For me, I think the segments work best, the movie needed better editing.

And yeah it stinks that Han/Leia won't be in the next movie. My guess is Hamill will as a Force Ghost. And no more Admiral Akbar :(

It would be a nice time to bring back Lando in IX since the Rebels need all the help they can get and for the fans, and even get Dennis Lawson back to play Wedge. He said he didn't do it because he didn't want to be a one-dimensional pilot or have a reduced role. Now with the three primaries out, they can find something interesting for him to do.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This movie was just a cobbled together clump of cliches. Everything about it was both unoriginal and cheaply done. Everything hearkened back to something else or was a visual attempting to link to something in the past. Fine. That can be good and magical. However, here they attempt the "wooo look at what we've done and how clever we are" and it's pretty terrible. They seemingly did everything they could to NOT be Empire Strikes Back so they just rewrote Empire and Jedi and did the opposite. How clever.

Then they ignore logic and simple rules. Is there any other first order ships in the universe? If they have fuel why don't they simply lightspeed ahead of the Rebels? If the Rebels big ship is tracked (and what the f*** is tracked, where did that come from, why is that important, how did this happen? They had so many quality ways to go with that and instead its "we're tracked, must be through lightspace"! so stupid) why don't they simply take the little ships and scatter. There is, was, may be a republic that we know NOTHING about and now theres in Empire in 45 minutes of screen time.

Jesus christ does this movie insult ones intelligence and shit all over everything that came before it. It's utter garbage. It's superheroes in space (Jedi and Sith not included). How the f*** is Rey a Jedi knight all of a sudden. Why is Luke and Ren's relationship glossed over. Why do we have to have fights every twenty seconds. Why can Luke not sense Snokes meddling, of if he does why does he not warn Rey (ok he's a hermit and hes turned off with the force).

Who is SNOKE? HES DEAD? I'll bet he comes back next movie.

I mean I could go on all day. I know the original trilogy had bloopers and mistakes and plot holes but Jesus Christ this movie sucked. I'll purge Disney's Star Wars from my mind now.

Disney did the incredible and made the galaxy feel like a very very small place. Lucas's movies, for good or ill, had a sense of grandeur, of well there's a lot more out there.

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
I think people who hate The Last Jedi had a preconceived idea of what they wanted to see in Episode VIII. One typical example is people upset that Rey's parents are nobodies when they wanted her to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi or whatever.

As for me, while this movie had the awfully cringy Leia superman thing (among other flaws), I found it absolutely fascinating. The philosophical discussion about the Force, leadership, heroism, the social commentary on good and evil beyond parties at war with each other, all these things and more lead me to view The Last Jedi as the most interesting Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes back.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this movie right now but in time they will come to aknowledge its true groundbreaking quality. Kind of like, you know... How Poe comes to understand the actions of Leia and Holdo (who by the way had one of the best scenes in any SW movie, OMG that light speed kamikaze shot was gorgeous!) in the end.

I for one am now confident that the new trilogy is in good hands with Rian Johnson.

PS: I bet Episode IX will take place several years after VIII and it will begin with Leia's funeral.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I think people who hate The Last Jedi had a preconceived idea of what they wanted to see in Episode VIII. One typical example is people upset that Rey's parents are nobodies when they wanted her to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi or whatever.

As for me, while this movie had the awfully cringy Leia superman thing (among other flaws), I found it absolutely fascinating. The philosophical discussion about the Force, leadership, heroism, the social commentary on good and evil beyond parties at war with each other, all these things and more lead me to view The Last Jedi as the most interesting Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes back.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this movie right now but in time they will come to aknowledge its true groundbreaking quality. Kind of like, you know... How Poe comes to understand the actions of Leia and Holdo (who by the way had one of the best scenes in any SW movie, OMG that light speed kamikaze shot was gorgeous!) in the end.

I for one am now confident that the new trilogy is in good hands with Rian Johnson.

PS: I bet Episode IX will take place several years after VIII and it will begin with Leia's funeral.

I would have loved a GOOD movie about this. But 2/3 of this movie was utter crap. It didn't make logical sense it was video game style, let's get characters into action where we can paint a cool looking scene. It's not a serious movie and to try and be "serious" and philosophical for twenty minutes of the movie is not going to balance the scales.

This needed to be a smaller movie based upon those themes. Instead it's a hamfisted action film that is horrendously bad plot wise and then tries to smugly have a "force debate."

I loved that direction but how can you take this movie seriously when they literally sat on a sinking ship for an hour when they had other ships and plenty of lifeboats? Or that they had time to send someone off to ANOTHER DISTANT PLANET, run around, DO NOTHING, find NOONE, come back and FAIL, and still isn't worth a damn to the plot.

This was fan fiction.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Disney did the incredible and made the galaxy feel like a very very small place. Lucas's movies, for good or ill, had a sense of grandeur, of well there's a lot more out there.
Bingo!

That was something I was telling the people I saw it with last night. TFA and TLJ the universe just feels so freaking empty. There's no sense of it being this grand-scale universe that the FO is trying to take over and the Rebels are trying to save. Its like a group of 100+ bad guys vs 20+ good guys in a small corner of the galaxy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Had a night to sleep on it and think it over more.

Terrible. Unoriginal, which is the going rate for Hollywood these days.

As others have said, just like in TFA they are throwing far to many angles into 2ish hours and seeing them underdeveloped before being cast aside too quickly. The damn movie was all over the place. And it wasn't the cast or dialogue that killed the movie (i think those aspects are great), its the contradictory nature of the major plot lines.

It was absurd to cast Snoke as an incredibly powerful force (think Valkorion from the Old Republic era) who literally manifested the force connection between Ren and Rey and wielded power effortlessly, succumb to not being able to see Ren's intentions. So in that light it was a complete rip off from the Jedi Order failing to see Palpatine/Sidious because of arrogance and then again Sidious failing to see the conflict in Vader because of arrogance. "Your overconfidence is your weakness". Sorry, been there, done that. Unoriginal. And on top of that, we have no background on Snoke. He's cartoonish character who, like many of the plot points is vastly underdeveloped.

The political jabs are subtle but again, another aspect that has corrupted Hollywood. Star Wars was simple. It's about good vs evil. You want to branch out, fine, but do it without the underhanded political nonsense.

Mark Hamill did a tremendous job. Disney did a great job f***ing up his character arc. You want to kill Luke off, fine. But do it in a way that hasn't been done before. Again, we have the most powerful Jedi who ever lived force transfer his image across the galaxy (which was cool as hell to be honest) and then die as sort of a martyr/sacrifice ala Obi Wan because he was "at peace" with his demons finally. You raise the fans up with brilliance and then donkey punch them with crap we've all seen before.

Rey is a "nobody". Yeah, so was Anakin. Or it was a red herring and she is in fact from a great lineage. Either way, it's not original.

Leia has super powers. Never explained and unfortunately with Carrie Fisher's death we'll likely never get a good backstory.

Hall of mirrors was basically, stop looking back and get on with your life and future. Very trippy. I liked this part, given the simplicity.

And lastly, the Jedi must end. Luke said it, Yoda said it and then burned down the Force tree. Then it's strongly hinted that just the opposite is in the cards for the future given the ending sequences. But are there really Jedi or do we just have a conflicted good girl vs a conflicted bad guy trying to find some semblance of balance between the light and dark and a future host of force sensitive kids looking outward towards their destiny.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The philosophical discussion about the Force, leadership, heroism, the social commentary on good and evil beyond parties at war with each other, all these things and more lead me to view The Last Jedi as the most interesting Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes back.

I think it laid the foundation for that discussion - or at least picked up where Rogue One left off - but too immediately returned to the status quo.

A mutiny in the Rebellion? Leia wakes up from the coma and everyone's together again with Poe and the Dern character both becoming heroes.

Kylo Ren kills the Supreme Leader to team with Rey? All witnesses are killed and Rey declines, so he just takes Snoke's place as his fall-back.

Del Toro reveals to Finn that weapons merchants are dealing to both First Order and Resistance fighters? Phasma comes back as if to immediately un-blur the lines between good (Resistance) and evil (First Order).

Luke Skywalker becomes critical of the hubris of the Jedi? Basically goes full self-sacrificing Jedi Knight at the end.

It seemed like it wanted to ask these legitimately interesting questions, but every answer was exactly what we thought before the questions were asked: the Resistance and the Jedi are objectively good and what all children should aspire to be. Rogue One seemed to handle the gray areas better.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I'm going to have to see it again to cobble all the lose parts together. It just seemed too many arcs going on at once.

Rogue One had that at the beginning but at least that core of heroes would not have had any future roles down the road weather they live or not.

I like how they're developing Kylo into his own and has seized the top but too bad Snoke's ending was too soon.

Also, liked how Rey's origin his still clouded. Still not convinced that's she's from nowhere.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I loved that direction but how can you take this movie seriously when they literally sat on a sinking ship for an hour when they had other ships and plenty of lifeboats?

This is such a ludicrously dumb thing to be upset about.

The other ships were also running out of fuel, they made that painfully clear when each of them, well, ran out of fuel and was shot down.

The ploy with the transports was a desperate gamble for a reason. They made it painfully clear that they were in the middle of f***ing nowhere in deep space. They couldn't just load onto a transport and float out there doing nothing until they die. They needed to get closer to the uncharted planet of Crayt so they could escape to it and send out a distress beacon with enough power to be heard. Plus they needed to distract the First Order with their capital ship and get them tunnel visioned on that in order to escape in the first place. Remember when Poe accused Holdo of treason for using unshielded and unarmed transports? They can't just jump out in front of the First Order's nose.

There are legit gripes to take with this movie, but this one is not one of those.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This is such a ludicrously dumb this to be upset about.

The other ships were also running out of fuel, they made that painfully clear when each of them, well, ran out of fuel and was shot down.

The ploy with the transports was a desperate gamble for a reason. They made it painfully clear that they were in the middle of ****ing nowhere in deep space. They couldn't just load onto a transport and float out there doing nothing until they die. They needed to get closer to the uncharted planet of Crayt so they could escape to it and send out a distress beacon with enough power to be heard. Plus they needed to distract the First Order with their capital ship and get them tunnel visioned on that in order to escape in the first place. Remember when Poe accused Holdo of treason for using unshielded and unarmed transports? They can't just jump out in front of the First Order's nose.

There are legit gripes to take with this movie, but this one is not one of those.

Obviously they didn't watch any prior movie because that hanger bay was littered with X-Wings, A-Wings, looked like B-Wings all of which have hyperspace.

Simply get it in and go. Go around the galaxy and get help. First order isn't running of fuel why don't they jump hyperspace AHEAD of the "resistance" and work backwards? Why don't they call in more ships?

It was utterly stupid. You can't defend it without suspending logic. There were 4 or 5 capital ships and which one is tracked? All of them? None of them? Go off and separate directions. I was under the impression the largest ship was the only one being tracked. How was this done.

It was lazy and stupid and written seemingly by a 13 year old. It made zero sense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sounds like Star War fans raged at a theater in Burbank when movie had no sound and theater refused to start it over with sound

-- Contains profanity--

Police were called and ultimately refunds were given but a lot of fans were pissed

Seems like theater could have simply fixed issue and restarted film and appeased everyone instead of creating a near riot situation.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Obviously they didn't watch any prior movie because that hanger bay was littered with X-Wings, A-Wings, looked like B-Wings all of which have hyperspace.

Simply get it in and go. Go around the galaxy and get help. First order isn't running of fuel why don't they jump hyperspace AHEAD of the "resistance" and work backwards? Why don't they call in more ships?

It was utterly stupid. You can't defend it without suspending logic. There were 4 or 5 capital ships and which one is tracked? All of them? None of them? Go off and separate directions. I was under the impression the largest ship was the only one being tracked. How was this done.

It was lazy and stupid and written seemingly by a 13 year old. It made zero sense.

You mean the hanger bay that Kylo Ren blew up? Did you go to the bathroom during that part?

Your gripes on this range from pedantic to completely illogical. The Resistance in on the ropes. The First Order is not. Why would the first order be running short on fuel? The first order also brought more than one ship, and could have split up just as easily. Where would the other ships even go? There weren’t other planets with distress beacons around (or other planets at all).

Your gripe here is the type of gripe that people who went into the movie trying to expose flaws that don’t exist have.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
You mean the hanger bay that Kylo Ren blew up? Did you go to the bathroom during that part?

Your gripes on this range from pedantic to completely illogical. The Resistance in on the ropes. The First Order is not. Why would the first order be running short on fuel? The first order also brought more than one ship, and could have split up just as easily. Where would the other ships even go? There weren’t other planets with distress beacons around (or other planets at all).

Your gripe here is the type of gripe that people who went into the movie trying to expose flaws that don’t exist have.
The hanger bay with all the transports. The hanger bays of the four or five other ships. The First ORDER WASNT RUNNING OUT OF FUEL THAT WAS MY POINT. Jump ahead and ta-da, chase over!

Tell me, where did the "tracking" come from. How was this done? Where was this established. It's totaly bullshit just to drive plot. What is being tracked. How?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
There needs to be time to process this movie for everyone. I see all these Best. Movie. Ever. or It Was Awful on social media and it's too soon. Give six weeks to process it before declaring it's better than Empire. Same thing happens every time a new Bond film, or Marvel film comes out, it's the adrenaline and freshness.

I will say as a movie I don't feel in entirely worked. Pacing issues, some "80s bad guy logic" by The First Order, and there were moments where it felt like they had to just do a space battle to get it off a checklist.

If you need time to "process," the movie was was average at best. People are defending the 2 turds Disney's has dropped because of the name. Outside of Rogue One, which was meh, Disney has dropped the ball. Even taking the Star Wars name away and looking at it as pure cinema, its been garbage. Awesome CGI, poor story lines, cringe humor, and terrible character building. Its another Transformers live action franchise.

So far Disney has managed to beat out Episode 1, so kudos to them for beating the low bar that was set.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The hacker arc and casino scenes were a complete waste. Just a way to squeeze more screen time into an already far to busy movie.
And wouldn't have even happened if Laura Dern told Poe right off the bat what her plan was to shut him up and not risk Rose and Finn's life and then ultimately Del Torro turns on them and they are captured by the First Order.

There was 0 reason for Dern to not tell Poe her plan. She simultaneously knew nothing about Poe but knew him very well. Which was dumb.

Reactions: Subban signed e5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad