OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Uhhh... we know it was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, ergo it's still in our universe so I DO know that, thanks :naughty:

But then why aren't all of the rules of our galaxy's physics followed in the films?

Is it inaccuracy and poor writing, or a different set of rules made for a ****ing Sci-Fi film because it does.not.matter?

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
But then why aren't all of the rules of our galaxy's physics followed in the films?

Is it inaccuracy and poor writing, or a different set of rules made for a ****ing Sci-Fi film because it does.not.matter?

If I'm pulled out of the story because these inaccuracies are mounting, and I start questioning the congruence and consistency of the movie (especially silly sci-fi) then it certainly does matter, and I'm certainly not the only person who saw the same inconsistencies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If I'm pulled out of the story because these inaccuracies are mounting, and I start questioning the congruence and consistency of the movie (especially silly sci-fi) then it certainly does matter, and I'm certainly not the only person who saw the same inconsistencies.

If you can't overcome your lack of imagination, then yes, it matters and you should probably ever not watch a Sci-Fi film again.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
If you can't overcome your lack of imagination, then yes, it matters and you should probably ever not watch a Sci-Fi film again.

Why are you taking my dislike of this new Star Wars movie so personally? Do you work for Disney or something? Does my opinion really matter this much to you that you'll go so far as to say that I lack imagination and should never watch sci-fi again?

Get over yourself.

Why are you all so thirsty for me to enjoy this movie? Y'all are weird. This board has always had a weird little cult-like mentality, but this is really taking it to the next level :laugh:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I've assumed the Knights of Ren were dead from the first time I watched TFA, killed by Ren. There can be only 2, master and apprentice.
That was a sith rule not a darkside rule. No one really followed it anyways.

Also, physics in star wars have always been screwy, but consistent between films for the most part which is the important thing. It doesnt take place in the real world and doesnt have to abide by our rules as long as it follows the established rules there is no issue. Which is why we get sounds and ships falling in space, or the arbitrary end of a lightsaber.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why are you taking my dislike of this new Star Wars movie so personally? Do you work for Disney or something? Does my opinion really matter this much to you that you'll go so far as to say that I lack imagination and should never watch sci-fi again?

Get over yourself.

Why are you all so thirsty for me to enjoy this movie? Y'all are weird. This board has always had a weird little cult-like mentality, but this is really taking it to the next level :laugh:
No but some just think that SOME of the things that SOME of the people are complaining about, is dumb.

Most of the issue people are bringing up, I never noticed in the movie at all. Like Finn's jacket...lol. Yet I have no issue shaking my head at the Leia in space scene.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I would imagine it’s bc it’s a last Jedi chat and ppl who enjoyed the movie haven’t been able to discuss it/think ahead to IX bc ppl who didn’t like it are still talking about details that ruined it for them.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I would imagine it’s bc it’s a last Jedi chat and ppl who enjoyed the movie haven’t been able to discuss it/think ahead to IX bc ppl who didn’t like it are still talking about details that ruined it for them.

Yeah sorry... I'll just stand over in the corner and bemoan the death of an iconic franchise and childhood touchstone. I'll try not to get in the way of you all gang-****ing Luke's corpse. :laugh:

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
No but some just think that SOME of the things that SOME of the people are complaining about, is dumb.

Most of the issue people are bringing up, I never noticed in the movie at all. Like Finn's jacket...lol. Yet I have no issue shaking my head at the Leia in space scene.

You realize that this doesn't preclude others from discussing the things that they did notice, right? I get that you don't think that having consistent rules for silly things like gravity are important, but each time someone should've got sucked out into space and didn't, it pulled me out of the movie. Or when Finn is driving down the eye of a beam that's currently melting a door without breaking a sweat... and then moments later drags an unconscious body across a desert that took them 15 minutes to fly across, but 5 minutes to run across. These things just don't make any sense, and the fact that a) they don't make sense, and b) I noticed that they don't make sense, are no fault of mine. I could brush it under the rug if the rest of the movie had redeemable qualities but it didn't. Between Rey's effortless ascendancy to greatness, to the way they treated Luke and Chewie (remember him!), to a whole bunch of other stuff that is obviously not worth bringing up to this crowd...

I didn't want to be pulled out of the movie, but the crew of the film felt that having consistency in a pre-established universe was secondary to whatever it is they thought they were doing.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
That was a sith rule not a darkside rule. No one really followed it anyways.

Technically everyone in the movies followed it. There were only ever 2 at a time, and everytime there was going to be a 3rd, that person was replacing someone else to bring it back to 2.

I'm also presuming the knights were the other students from Luke's temple, and not just nin force using warriors.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Get over yourself.

Nope.

Your lack of imagination is what causes me to say you have a lack of imagination.

"You" are every jackwagon that makes up supposed legitimate reasons to hate the film -- I don't know you as a person and don't care if you personally like it...what I do care about is this film being ripped apart over the most asinine reasons.

I, like others here, constantly try to comprehend why this film is such a travesty in people's minds. We get a half-baked reason that usually bothers only that person rather than being an actual cinematic flaw. It's just a constant parade of people nitpicking silly reasons and then saying the franchise is forever ruined. It's truly a sight to see...after the travesty of the prequels, I couldn't imagine anyone ever hating on this trilogy like this -- I have been dead wrong.

I will never get over myself. I'm wonderful and I'm very aware of that.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i am disappointed in a movie series where:

People talk telekinetically
People talk to ghosts
People move objects with their mind
People have kissed their sister
People have killed guys who then disappear
People have died from a broken heart
People don't die when thrown into space
Droids can interpret shih tzu looking warriors
Light speed exists long, long ago but not today
Sasquatch is real
Etc...

Or...I just watch it to be entertained and let the things that defy today's logic, go.

Reactions: Rebels57

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Nope.

Your lack of imagination is what causes me to say you have a lack of imagination.

"You" are every jackwagon that makes up supposed legitimate reasons to hate the film -- I don't know you as a person and don't care if you personally like it...what I do care about is this film being ripped apart over the most asinine reasons.

I, like others here, constantly try to comprehend why this film is such a travesty in people's minds. We get a half-baked reason that usually bothers only that person rather than being an actual cinematic flaw. It's just a constant parade of people nitpicking silly reasons and then saying the franchise is forever ruined. It's truly a sight to see...after the travesty of the prequels, I couldn't imagine anyone ever hating on this trilogy like this -- I have been dead wrong.

I will never get over myself. I'm wonderful and I'm very aware of that.

Seriously, were you on the crew or something?

Me not liking the movie isn't an isolated incident and neither are my criticisms of it. You shouldn't be surprised that someone's opinions are subjective. That's pretty silly of you.

It was a lazy story full of giant holes, a nonsense plot, and a bunch of forgettable characters. It wasn't a proper sequel to TFA at all, which makes no sense from a universe-building standpoint - this much has been admitted to by JJ Abrams, Rian, etc. Hamill hated the direction that he took with Luke and spoke out against it. All these things are true.

Disney wanted to kill Lucas' characters to set way for their own little pod of heroes, but they sucked at it. This movie reminds me of the last 2 Hobbit films. Totally unnecessary with a ton of shoehorned garbage (like Benicio Del Toro as Himself in the most unnecessary plot in the world). The entire Canto Bight plot should've been cut. And poor Gwendoline Christie...

An entire universe of wasted potential.

And why do you continue to attack me personally for this opinion? Who the f*** are you to be the arbiter of what is or isn't a valid criticism of the film? Seriously. Who the f*** do you think you are? Once again. Get over yourself.

Last edited:

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Amazing, everything you just said...was wrong

Yes. That's your opinion, which you're entitled to, as I am to mine. This little hivemind seems to have troubles recognizing that sometimes.

Go watch that video and see how wrong I am.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Ehh yeah, you’re absolutely right, just having some fun w it. Hamill himself has come out though and said his words are being misconstrued. He was worried at first but once he saw it he was totally on board.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad