OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just here to say that Star Trek is the better franchise.

Anyone see USS Callister? Nice take on TOS and basement dwellers in sci-fi fandom (See this thread for examples of the latter). The twist is far fetched, but overall the episode is really enjoyable.
I watched the Original Series on re-runs or VHS tapes or whatever growing up and always liked it but I never got into The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. When I found out the Original Series was on Amazon a little while back I tried to get my wife to watch with me but she was not interested. Haha.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
We went and saw this last night. My Fiance and I used to go to the movies every weekend, its something we both really enjoy and rarely get to do anymore. When we get to go to the movies now its a rare experience and something i appreciate even more. As i've mentioned before we aren't fans of the reserve your seat/recliner seating with smaller theatre sizes...we used to be able to go to a movie spur of the moment and really enjoyed a regal cinema nearby. Once they started doing the reserved seating it became really tough to be able to go see a movie without planning it out.

We decided to go to a local family owned theatre this time around and went to a 5pm showing. We got there early, i was pretty pumped off the bat because the theatre used to be Pepsi only, but changed to Coke. It was a recliner seat theatre and pretty small, when we got there it was us and two other groups.

5 minutes into the movie a group of 12 teenagers came in and took over an entire row in the front of the theatre. Groups of 5 at a time kept getting up and walking out then back in, talking really loud and obviously making it a point to piss off everyone in the theatre...they'd make stupid comments in jest like "no phones guys" while they all had there phones out watching youtube and listening to music and just generally being little shits.

They talked and screamed and cussed and made fun of the movie for about the first half, anytime a scene was quiet or serious they would say something or make a fart noise or get up and run around the row back and forth. It was basically impossible to focus on the movie.

I felt like i missed a bunch and just really couldn't enjoy the movie at all. Up until the scene where ghost yoda showed up i had no idea what was going on at any given time. I missed the scene where Finn and Rose escaped from the first order and apparently reading other comments the rebel ship was put into hyperspeed and crashed through the first order ship.

I finally got up and was that guy who went out and said something to the ticket taker to send a manager in. She couldn't give a crap less when i asked her about it, i went and grabbed a beer, apparently a couple cops stationed nearby overheard me when i complained to the ticket taker and went in and said something. They finally shut up enough to where we could watch the movie.

I obviously need to see this again, but from what i saw I enjoyed it. I personally think they need someone else other then Kylo Ren unless he becomes way more powerful. It seemed like they defeated Snoke to easily.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
That seemed incredibly low tech for what else we see going on out there. I questioned it immediately and things like that which take you out of the movie is lazy writing IMO. As for sound in a space battle, that's a lot less important than the actual mechanics of the plot taking place

Totally agree.

I'm also going to forever wonder why they don't just get one of their expendable droids to autopilot an X-Wing up to hyper-drive, and through the hull of every First Order capital ship out there. Seems much more efficient.

Also... Snoke is so powerful that he can connect two minds across the galaxy, but not powerful enough to realize that Kylo didn't shoot at Leia? Or that Kylo was setting him up?

Last edited:
Reactions: LorneMalvo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not saying this scene ruined the movie or anything, but it was dumb.

In a world where they shoot lasers, they can't just have some sort of missile that can launch the bomb equivalents from a distance? It was manufactured drama that felt way forced.

That seemed incredibly low tech for what else we see going on out there. I questioned it immediately and things like that which take you out of the movie is lazy writing IMO. As for sound in a space battle, that's a lot less important than the actual mechanics of the plot taking place

This is definitely hardcore nit-picking. There could be any number of reasons for the bombers being a necessity and not everything HAS to be explained in detail to the audience for it not be "dumb." It's okay for the audience to make an assumption, such as "The bombers were the only artillery that was capable of completing this mission."

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
This is definitely hardcore nit-picking. There could be any number of reasons for the bombers being a necessity and not everything HAS to be explained in detail to the audience for it not be "dumb." It's okay for the audience to make an assumption, such as "The bombers were the only artillery that was capable of completing this mission."

it's not "hardcore nitpicking". It's bad writing that made us ask questions which took us out of the movie when there's no suitable answer. In retrospect, they should've just got one of the bombers up to lightspeed and blasted it through the hull of the ship. Problem solved.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
it's not "hardcore nitpicking". It's bad writing that made us ask questions which took us out of the movie when there's no suitable answer. In retrospect, they should've just got one of the bombers up to lightspeed and blasted it through the hull of the ship. Problem solved.

I've never seen a movie nit-picked to death like this one has been.

Frankly, it's a little sad.

Do you know what payload was required to destroy the ship? Do you know if any other artillery was capable of delivering it? No..because this is a work of science fiction and we do not have that information. It's a f***ing space battle not at all based in reality. I could understand if we were watching a movie about WW2. Nit-picking movies based in reality is a lot more understandable. This is SCIENCE FICTION.

Movies are supposed to be escapism and are rarely perfect yet every god damn frame of this movie has been subject to criticism.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I mean... not everyone needs to like what you do. Your defense of this movie has been plastered across the past 12 pages, but no one cares. It's a bad movie, not because of the nitpicking of it's fans but due to the total lack of congruence with the rest of the Star Wars series. I'm probably the 20th person you've felt the need to defend this movie to, like you somehow know better. You don't (and frankly it's a little sad you think you do...)

> Movies are supposed to be escapism

Yeah they are, which is why I was astounded that a freaking Star Wars movie couldn't do escapism well.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm not saying this scene ruined the movie or anything, but it was dumb.

In a world where they shoot lasers, they can't just have some sort of missile that can launch the bomb equivalents from a distance? It was manufactured drama that felt way forced.

I mean that's fine if that's your opinion, but it didn't seemed forced to me. There's precedence of lasers not being able to penetrate certain armor in Empire and TFA, and I mean it was a giant ass ship so it makes sense that they would need lot of bombs. To me it just seems like you're saying "This is how I would have done it" which is fine, but honestly who cares lol? Just seems like a very odd thing to have an issue with, also the sound in a space battle was in reference to your comment about the girl not being sucked out of the airlock, not the plot of the movie.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Totally agree.

I'm also going to forever wonder why they don't just get one of their expendable droids to autopilot an X-Wing up to hyper-drive, and through the hull of every First Order capital ship out there. Seems much more efficient.

Also... Snoke is so powerful that he can connect two minds across the galaxy, but not powerful enough to realize that Kylo didn't shoot at Leia? Or that Kylo was setting him up?
They opened a huge can of worms with this hyper-drive thing. That was really stupid.
Light speed as a weapon? Why not use it always from now on? Every big ship can easily be destroyed, I guess.

Reactions: AtlasRust

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
They opened a huge can of worms with this hyper-drive thing. That was really stupid.
Light speed as a weapon? Why not use it always from now on? Every big ship can easily be destroyed, I guess.

Haha yeah they totally did. I liked the scene and it looked great and everything, but jeeeeeez... It's too bad that no one on those Death Star + Starkiller Base runs didn't know basic physics....

Thank god Blade Runner 2049 was good. I dunno if I could've handled the death of TWO franchises this summer xD

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Haha yeah they totally did. I liked the scene and it looked great and everything, but jeeeeeez... It's too bad that no one on those Death Star + Starkiller Base runs didn't know basic physics....

Thank god Blade Runner 2049 was good. I dunno if I could've handled the death of TWO franchises this summer xD
Yeah, I loved that movie. Movie of the year for me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean... not everyone needs to like what you do. Your defense of this movie has been plastered across the past 12 pages, but no one cares. It's a bad movie, not because of the nitpicking of it's fans but due to the total lack of congruence with the rest of the Star Wars series. I'm probably the 20th person you've felt the need to defend this movie to, like you somehow know better. You don't (and frankly it's a little sad you think you do...)

> Movies are supposed to be escapism

Yeah they are, which is why I was astounded that a freaking Star Wars movie couldn't do escapism well.

I never said you had to like it, but if you share your opinion on a discussion forum it tends to start..ya know..discussion. Since you're not interested in that I will move on.

You must be confusing me with someone else because I haven't done anything remotely close to this sentence in bold.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
We went and saw this last night. My Fiance and I used to go to the movies every weekend, its something we both really enjoy and rarely get to do anymore. When we get to go to the movies now its a rare experience and something i appreciate even more. As i've mentioned before we aren't fans of the reserve your seat/recliner seating with smaller theatre sizes...we used to be able to go to a movie spur of the moment and really enjoyed a regal cinema nearby. Once they started doing the reserved seating it became really tough to be able to go see a movie without planning it out.

We decided to go to a local family owned theatre this time around and went to a 5pm showing. We got there early, i was pretty pumped off the bat because the theatre used to be Pepsi only, but changed to Coke. It was a recliner seat theatre and pretty small, when we got there it was us and two other groups.

5 minutes into the movie a group of 12 teenagers came in and took over an entire row in the front of the theatre. Groups of 5 at a time kept getting up and walking out then back in, talking really loud and obviously making it a point to piss off everyone in the theatre...they'd make stupid comments in jest like "no phones guys" while they all had there phones out watching youtube and listening to music and just generally being little ****s.

They talked and screamed and cussed and made fun of the movie for about the first half, anytime a scene was quiet or serious they would say something or make a fart noise or get up and run around the row back and forth. It was basically impossible to focus on the movie.

I felt like i missed a bunch and just really couldn't enjoy the movie at all. Up until the scene where ghost yoda showed up i had no idea what was going on at any given time. I missed the scene where Finn and Rose escaped from the first order and apparently reading other comments the rebel ship was put into hyperspeed and crashed through the first order ship.

I finally got up and was that guy who went out and said something to the ticket taker to send a manager in. She couldn't give a crap less when i asked her about it, i went and grabbed a beer, apparently a couple cops stationed nearby overheard me when i complained to the ticket taker and went in and said something. They finally shut up enough to where we could watch the movie.

I obviously need to see this again, but from what i saw I enjoyed it. I personally think they need someone else other then Kylo Ren unless he becomes way more powerful. It seemed like they defeated Snoke to easily.

That's annoying... I hate the unpredictability of theaters. Never really anticipate how the crowd will affect the experience.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The ship that rammed Snoke's cruiser was also huge. Doesn't seem very realistic to make that a battle plan. It's not like they rammed a Death Star with an X-wing.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
The ship that rammed Snoke's cruiser was also huge. Doesn't seem very realistic to make that a battle plan. It's not like they rammed a Death Star with an X-wing.

Force = Mass x Acceleration and when you're going faster than the speed of light you don't need that much mass...

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I never said you had to like it, but if you share your opinion on a discussion forum it tends to start..ya know..discussion. Since you're not interested in that I will move on.

You must be confusing me with someone else because I haven't done anything remotely close to this sentence in bold.

yeah I guess I'm mixing you up with the other Rebels57 :sarcasm:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Force = Mass x Acceleration and when you're going the speed of light you don't need that much mass...

Then why would this not be a criticism of any movie that included spacecraft and the need to blow something up? Lasers travel the speed of light, yet we're ok with them being able to be stopped by shields.

Reactions: Tripod

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

I don't know that it's "hardcore" nitpicking. To me a hardcore nitpick is complaining about someone's jacket being repaired or something, which I agree is a dumb complaint. But the concept of the bombers was the driving force in that entire ~10-15 minute sequence, so it seems important to me that what is going on makes sense.

There needs to be a level of believability in the world we think we know. To me, it didn't seem to make a lot of sense overall. Just my opinion.

I know to you a lot of complaints seem small so I understand your perspective, but to me this film was not cohesive at all and I absolutely hate those moments when you walk out and you try to explain away to yourself and your friends "how did they do that?", "why did they do that?", etc.

I mean that's fine if that's your opinion, but it didn't seemed forced to me. There's precedence of lasers not being able to penetrate certain armor in Empire and TFA, and I mean it was a giant ass ship so it makes sense that they would need lot of bombs. To me it just seems like you're saying "This is how I would have done it" which is fine, but honestly who cares lol? Just seems like a very odd thing to have an issue with, also the sound in a space battle was in reference to your comment about the girl not being sucked out of the airlock, not the plot of the movie.

I don't mean it in a "how I would have done it" way, it could have been executed any number of ways, but to me the way they depicted it didn't make sense so that's the complaint from me.

Thanks, understood now on the airlock comment.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Then why would this not be a criticism of any movie that included spacecraft and the need to blow something up? Lasers travel the speed of light, yet we're ok with them being able to be stopped by shields.

I thought it was probably the best scene in the movie... but like Lorne said, it opens a can of worms, and it's a silly can of worms to open because it's a strategy so efficient that it should be used carte-blanche by any fighter pilot who has a ship equipped with a hyperdrive engine. Just terrorize entire planets or else you'll come screaming down from the heavens to bi-sect whichever continent you'd like xD

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I thought it was probably the best scene in the movie... but like Lorne said, it opens a can of worms, and it's a silly can of worms to open because it's a strategy so efficient that it should be used carte-blanche by any fighter pilot who has a ship equipped with a hyperdrive engine. Just terrorize entire planets or else you'll come screaming down from the heavens to bi-sect whichever continent you'd like xD

To me it only opens up a can of worms with the people looking to find issues with the movie. If a fighter could tear through a ship or planet in the same way, why can't a laser blast? Why does it take a Death Star laser blast to destroy a world or a ship in one shot? Better question is why should we care? It was awesome and entertaining and that's the point of it. It's a movie. Dive this deeply into most movies, especially ones that involve fantasy/sci fi, and you're going to find similar things.

Reactions: Rebels57

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Totally agree.

Almost like how Luke could sense good in Vader after being around him for less than a week but the Emperor couldn't? Arrogance was the Emperor's weakness and it was the same for Snoke. You could make the same exact argument for Palpatine's demise, the guy who was essentially a galactic dictator and incredibly powerful Sith lord was thrown off a bridge by a guy with one hand.

I also think you're giving too much credit to Laura Dern's character if you think she knew that was going to happen. The ship wasn't fast enough to block the blasts long enough to provide any useful cover to the transports, so out of desperation she used the last amount of fuel to launch into hyperdrive directly at the dreadnought. I can see why people feel it opens up a can of worms, but to me it was clear that this was a desperation attempt with a massive cruiser I don't think it means that any ship can cause that type of destruction via kamikaze.

Reactions: Rebels57

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I think the hyper drive destruction scene was cool. I don't mind any jumps there.

What does annoy me about it a little, is why did she have to pilot the ship? That tech can't autopilot, take remote commands, whatever? I mean I do know why, because someone had to do something heroic and sacrifice themselves, and it had to be a secondary character no one cares about because Finn needs to sell toys in the next film...

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I think the hyper drive destruction scene was cool. I don't mind any jumps there.

What does annoy me about it a little, is why did she have to pilot the ship? That tech can't autopilot, take remote commands, whatever? I mean I do know why, because someone had to do something heroic and sacrifice themselves, and it had to be a secondary character no one cares about because Finn needs to sell toys in the next film...

But it definitely couldn't have been Admiral Ackbar because reasons.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
To me it only opens up a can of worms with the people looking to find issues with the movie. If a fighter could tear through a ship or planet in the same way, why can't a laser blast? Why does it take a Death Star laser blast to destroy a world or a ship in one shot? Better question is why should we care? It was awesome and entertaining and that's the point of it. It's a movie. Dive this deeply into most movies, especially ones that involve fantasy/sci fi, and you're going to find similar things.

Just a side point, but a mirror can reflect a laser, so it isn't the same thing as an object with a large amount of mass travelling at the speed of light.

I don't care about the can of worms that can potentially open up because realistically it could have been in any scifi movie with light speed. You could also complain about lack of vacuum in space when needed (Rose's sister, Leia door opening). The bombs could be magnetic or targerted, but the button falling to Rose's sister's hand was clearly gravity where it couldn't exist. It is all mindless action, so just ignore it I guess.

The best complaint about the movie is the useless casino planet half hour mission which was completely unnecessary other than to introduce new toys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad