Online Series: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Dec. 2021)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not that Mando hasn't provided any of it but I'd like to see this series go even deeper with the seedy underbelly of Star Wars stuff.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not that Mando hasn't provided any of it but I'd like to see this series go even deeper with the seedy underbelly of Star Wars stuff.

I think that many of us hoped and expected that The Mandalorian would do that, but Mando ended up being a lot more of a do-gooder with higher goals. Hopefully, with Fett being more of a true mercenary and villain and seemingly taking over Jabba's old operation, we'll see more of the seedy underbelly, as you said. Besides, they need to contrast this series with The Mandalorian. If it's just another series about a do-gooder Mandalorian, there's no point to it. With all of the other series based around Star Wars heroes, this series could stand out as being about an anti-hero and the criminals that he hangs with. If The Mandalorian is a Western in space, perhaps his series will be like a gangster drama in space.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think that many of us hoped and expected that The Mandalorian would do that, but Mando ended up being a lot more of a do-gooder. Hopefully, with Fett being more of a true mercenary and villain and seemingly taking over Jabba's old operation, we'll see more of the seedy underbelly, as you said. Besides, they need to contrast this series with The Mandalorian. If it's just another series about a do-gooder Mandalorian, there's no point to it. With all of the other series based around heroes, hopefully this series is more about the criminals.
Well...yeah but he was less of a do-gooder in the Luke sense and more of a do-gooder in the Han sense. But I liked that about Din. Just agree that it would be nice to have a series dive deeper into the more lawless parts of the galaxy than just having a hero there but on the periphery.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I assume there may always be a bit of a tension with going too anti-hero with a Disney product.

Disney has a movie coming out in a few months about a notorious criminal who schemes to kidnap puppies, skin them and then wear their skins in public. As long as Boba isn't that cruel, he should be fine.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Disney has a movie coming out in a few months about a notorious criminal who schemes to kidnap puppies, skin them and then wear their skins in public. As long as Boba isn't that cruel, he should be fine.

He does have a sympathetic back story and is a visible minority.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
I'm a big fan of the mini-series type shows from SW and Marvel. It kind of holds us over until the next movie comes out. Well in the case of SW, all the mini-series are better then the last 3 movies. LOL

Reactions: Shockmaster

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It looks good, but I'm rolling my eyes a bit at Disney not just turning him into a good guy, but making sure that we understand that clearly, especially in the first trailer. "I plan to rule with respect" and "please, speak freely" were a bit corny. It's as if the book of Boba Fett were "How to Be a Better Boss." I didn't expect him to be a full-on villain, especially coming from Disney, but I was hoping for a little more intimidating of a character and a greater contrast to The Mandalorian. This kind of looks like if Mando gave up mercenary work and decided to settle down and start a business. We'll see, though.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It looks good, but I'm rolling my eyes a bit at Disney not just turning him into a good guy, but making sure that we understand that clearly, especially in the first trailer. "I plan to rule with respect" and "please, speak freely" were a bit corny. It's as if the book of Boba Fett were "How to Be a Better Boss." I didn't expect him to be a full-on villain, especially coming from Disney, but I was hoping for a little more intimidating of a character and a greater contrast to The Mandalorian. This kind of looks like if Mando gave up mercenary work and decided to settle down and start a business. We'll see, though.

I wouldn't read too much into that specific point. Star Wars bad guys have a habit of callously murdering their subordinates for the slightest fault, and Timothy Zahn also deliberately used the trick in the trailer to show Grand Admiral Thrawn was 'different'. Didn't mean he was a whitewashed good guy.

Reactions: Jussi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wouldn't read too much into that specific point. Star Wars bad guys have a habit of callously murdering their subordinates for the slightest fault, and Timothy Zahn also deliberately used the trick in the trailer to show Grand Admiral Thrawn was 'different'. Didn't mean he was a whitewashed good guy.

Boba Fett isn't a bad guy here. As the protagonist of a Disney show, he's sure to act virtuously and the trailer confirmed that.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Thrawn was still very much a murderer of his own subordinates. In once instance, an enlisted naval man f***s up on a basic operation, costing Thrawn and the fleet a chance to hurt the Republic. He asks the man's officer if he trained him properly, he did. Thus, Thrawn has the enlisted man torn limb from limb on the bridge by his Noghri body guard to make a point.

However, later on, another naval tech is unable to spot a specific thing on the sensors that would have helped the fleet, but ultimately discovers why it happened. Thrawn asks him why it happened. The tech states that due to inadequate programming, procedure, and training, it was unlikely anyone would have caught it. Thrawn subsequently promotes the tech to a higher rank and orders him to revise the above.

Tldr: Thrawn is a mixed bag.

1 Part Napoleon

1 Part Alexander

1 Part Caesar

1 Part Stalin

And, imo, was the template for Admiral Duarte in The Expanse.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
And is anyone else gonna miss Thiiiick Boba?

I mean, he's absolutely jacked in this for being an old dude, but the thickness had a certain charm to it.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The only way to do a faithful telling of a Boba Fett story after the original trilogy would be for the series to take place in the middle of the Sarlacc Pit, and each 60-minute episode is Boba Fett being slightly more digested

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I mean, he's absolutely jacked in this for being an old dude, but the thickness had a certain charm to it.

Maybe it was just the camera angles used in the trailer footage, but it does look like Morrison lost some weight from what we saw in season 2 of the Mandalorian. He had a bit of a pot belly going back then, but he was still pretty badass regardless.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Boba be running the Dad Bod Mob.

The only way to do a faithful telling of a Boba Fett story after the original trilogy would be for the series to take place in the middle of the Sarlacc Pit, and each 60-minute episode is Boba Fett being slightly more digested

I feel that might not go down well with fans :sarcasm:

Reactions: Primary Assist

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m always going to see Morrison as Jake Heke.

He’s a hell of an actor, but he was so convincing in Once Were Warriors, that it’s hard not to see Jake every time I watch him play another role.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Here's an interesting article that explains the spider creature at the start of the trailer:

'Book of Boba Fett' trailer makes a forgotten Star Wars creature canon again
Looking closer at this spider-like creature, its brain is floating in a jar where its body should be. In fact, it’s not a spider at all, but a human; these creatures are the final form of the B’omarr monks, an order that built Jabba’s palace on Tatooine years before he took it over. Jabba allowed the monks to remain in the palace, as their monastic life meant they weren’t much of a hindrance to his criminal organization.
I wonder if they'll be involved in the plot at all and if Boba will ever talk to them or if they're just for a little fan service and alien-ness, like the weird creatures that we only ever see in cantinas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad