GDT: Star Wars Homage Night. Columbus Blue Jackets at New Jeresy Devils. 7pm MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He hasn’t just got back he’s played plenty of games already. I was all for the “he just came back” argument at the 10 game mark but we’re at 15 or 16 now and he’s still a steaming pile of crap

Well he's still at 11 GP to be exact. Tonight was his 11th game.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Zacha needs to play. After a bunch of dumpster fire performances we absolutely need Zacha. Not only is Zacha much better than Hayes and Stafford (who are not part of the future), but Zajac has been terrible and Wood has made more boneheaded plays that deserve benching than Zacha.
Hell, the way we’re playing and coached Zacha could even replace Greene or Hynes and we’d be better off. Hynes may legitimately be a bottom 5 coach in the league. He has no ability to adjust and plays favorites more than Deboer did.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Screw Drew, I watched him closely tonight and he's bringing nothing to the table anymore.

And for the love of God, whose stupid idea was it to put both Hayes & Boyle on the power play?

I think I was yelling about that at the game more than anything else.
I hope Zacha isn't in for Wood tomorrow and it's Stafford instead. Not that Stafford is a slug, but he's a detriment at this point, more so than Jimmy Hayes. 11 game point drought, really doesn't do anything else well. Wood is much faster, he's improved drastically from last year, doesn't get pinned in his end all night, and has scored some points.

Ward always has to out-idiot himself. He's not a bad PP coach, but he constantly does things to make himself look stupid. It's like he gets off on doing something stupid. His sandbags himself, so badly. He's like the race car driver that's leading a race, but then lets 5 or 6 guys pass him. It's like he's obligated to make himself look stupid sometimes. And how about that 6 on 5 with Zajac and Hayes (I think it was?) late in the game. We couldn't even pull Cory until there was 60 seconds left anyway, then we put that out there to try to bring us to the promised land? Why even bother?

He was pretty bad.

At the end of the day, your goalie needs to make some saves.

None of the goals he let in, on their face, would people call "bad" goals, however, the fact is Columbus' goals all came on some of their only real scoring opportunities, meaning that Cory pretty much saved all the easy, routine attempts, and stopped virtually none of the tough chances. Your #1 guy has to stop some tough chances.
Goal 2 was a nasty, awful goal. I'll tag him on goal 5, if not deflected. He almost saved goal 4 on the PP (after Zajac failed to clear it not once, but twice in like 40 seconds) but a one timer (from what I remember) I can't tag him on, unless he was already in position and he really wasn't on that one.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Our power-play really hurt us tonight. 5 on 5 we were one step behind the Blue Jackets. I wasn't impressed with Zajac as usual. Never really cared for the player and think he lacks too much talent to be where he is.
I am happier with Boyle alone, however we do not need two of them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My point was, I was cool with him being useless when he was only back for 5/6 games. Now, he’s played 1/8th of the season and has improved zilch, I’m no longer ok with it.
That's where I'm at right now. He's gonna have to be pretty unlucky to score only 7 points this year (that's what he's on pace for in 82 games, which he obviously can't play 82 games this year) this year, he'll probably outscore that just on complete accident, even if he doesn't improve, but the rest of his game just isn't there right now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope Zacha isn't in for Wood tomorrow and it's Stafford instead. Not that Stafford is a slug, but he's a detriment at this point, more so than Jimmy Hayes. 11 game point drought, really doesn't do anything else well. Wood is much faster, he's improved drastically from last year, doesn't get pinned in his end all night, and has scored some points.

Ward always has to out-idiot himself. He's not a bad PP coach, but he constantly does things to make himself look stupid. It's like he gets off on doing something stupid. His sandbags himself, so badly. He's like the race car driver that's leading a race, but then lets 5 or 6 guys pass him. It's like he's obligated to make himself look stupid sometimes. And how about that 6 on 5 with Zajac and Hayes (I think it was?) late in the game. We couldn't even pull Cory until there was 60 seconds left anyway, then we put that out there to try to bring us to the promised land? Why even bother?

lol I actually walked out at 5-3 and I never do that in a semi-competitive game, but after the hideousness of the last two periods culminating in that four-minute PP fiasco followed by the coup de grace on their PP I'd had enough and peeled out. Glad I missed that beaut at least.

Our power-play really hurt us tonight. 5 on 5 we were one step behind the Blue Jackets. I wasn't impressed with Zajac as usual. Never really cared for the player and think he lacks too much talent to be where he is.
I am happier with Boyle alone, however we do not need two of them.

At first I read this as 5 on 4 we were one step behind the Blue Jackets, which is actually true with the Boyle/Hayes cement feet PP

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think this was the case in the past, the Zajac we're seeing this year is very different from any of the past incarnations of Zajac.

Even the 14-15 Zajac was massively superior to this one.

Reactions: mtnet

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I don’t think Cory played as bad as he looked tonight. One bad goal, I can’t ding him on goal 1, goal 2 sucked, goal 3 was a perfect screen by Colin Whi I mean Travis Zajac. Goal 4 he almost got but was not nearly in position to make the save when the shot was taken. Goal 5 was a deflection, I think?

This is what Kinkaid looks like every night since last October, yet no one but me and a very select few call him out. If anything, we might flushing points if we continue to receive his current level of goaltending and we continue to start him in every back to back, god forbid Hynes starts playing him in a random mid-week start.

I’d actually put this on par with Kinkaid’s last game against Arizona. 5 goals against, but only one goal where he really had a chance on. I thought Cory has played much worse games this year (Arizona and Edmonton) where his play on paper was better and he allowed fewer goals, but allowed multiple bad goals. I think games like tonight and that Winnipeg game even it out a little bit.

Cory was awful tonight. 2 softies, and 3 other completely stoppable goals. Sure the one timer would have been tough, but none of the goals were unstoppable. The last one was “deflected” off of Cory. We would have probably been better off if Zacha had been in net tonight because Cory was a dumpster fire. Besides not stopping anything he was doing his typical “let me play the puck along the boards and give it away to Columbus” instead of passing to the open D. I seriously don’t understand how he does stupid crap like this. There are occasions he does it when he isn’t even under pressure. Just throws possession away like a complete moron.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol I actually walked out at 5-3 and I never do that in a semi-competitive game, but after the hideousness of the last two periods culminating in that four-minute PP fiasco followed by the coup de grace on their PP I'd had enough and peeled out. Glad I missed that beaut at least.
Well, we didn't pull Cory because we couldn't get possession of the puck and out of zone until there was like 65 seconds left. I actually forgot that we were only down by 2 at that point, it really felt like we were down by 3 at that point, so I wasn't even thinking, ''When are we pulling Cory''. Steve probably mentioned ''We'll keep an eye on Cory Schneider'' before that, but I tuned everything out by that point, with how annoyed I was. Then I saw him coming out with like 58 seconds left and I was like ''Oh yeah, we're only down by 2, why even bother though?''.

I don't know what was more of an ''Who gives a f***? We certainly don't!'' indicator. The fact that Cory got pulled at all, when down by 2 with less than a minute left, or the shoddy and suspect personnel that we used. It was like ''Why bother?''.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory was awful tonight. 2 softies, and 3 other completely stoppable goals. Sure the one timer would have been tough, but none of the goals were unstoppable. The last one was “deflected” off of Cory. We would have probably been better off if Zacha had been in net tonight because Cory was a dumpster fire. Besides not stopping anything he was doing his typical “let me play the puck along the boards and give it away to Columbus” instead of passing to the open D. I seriously don’t understand how he does stupid crap like this. There are occasions he does it when he isn’t even under pressure. Just throws possession away like a complete moron.
Don't worry, because the odds are that Kinkaid will give us a GREAT game tomorrow night!

.896 save percentage and a 3.29 GAA. You're gonna be wanting to go down to MSG and DRAG Cory out on the ice, if we get the Kinkaid that we've seen in 70% of his starts this season.

This is what he's looked like in all of his games since October, relief appearance in Winnipeg aside. I was one of the only people bitching about Kinkaid in Detroit, when he allowed two stoppable goals in under a minute and we almost lost the game, or when he allowed a couple weak goals against Ottawa, including a game tying goal to take it to the shootout, or that terrible shootout he was playing in Calgary, where he looked the statue of Marty outside of Prudential Center.

I do think most wanted him to be pulled in that Chicago game after one period though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even though we lost I had a fun time at the game tonight. First period was great.

When the final horn sounded, a guy a few rows behind me in section 128 yelled out "**** Star Wars night!"

lol the Star Wars stuff was the best thing about tonight and I'm not even a fan. But they definitely took advantage of the scoreboard to put a lot of new stuff up this year. The previous couple of years they only had those two-three space paragraph intros.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even though we lost I had a fun time at the game tonight. First period was great.

When the final horn sounded, a guy a few rows behind me in section 128 yelled out "**** Star Wars night!"
I LOL'd haha.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The sooner people realize that this team has some glaring flaws, the easier it will be to reset your expectations.

There will be periods of brilliance and periods of incompetence. The rebuild is one year ahead of schedule with the emergence of bratt and butcher

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The sooner people realize that this team has some glaring flaws, the easier it will be to reset your expectations.

There will be periods of brilliance and periods of incompetence. The rebuild is one year ahead of schedule with the emergence of bratt and butcher

It is easy to forget that this is a team that is still learning about what it takes to win.

Team is full of kids and vets who haven’t won much in a long time. f*** ups like this will happen, but the learning experience will be worth it long term.

We are clearly on the right track. It just isn’t an overnight change.

I do think this team definitely has enough to comfortably make the playoffs if things shake out right. They are resilient and have a lot of talent, not to mention we are still missing Palms.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's a stat for you. Our team save percentage is .913 and the league average save percentage is .911, so we're barely getting better than average goaltending on the season. Why do you think that is? I'll give you a hint, it ain't because of Cory. I really don't wanna hear it if Kinkaid plays his usual crap game that he's played since late October. I really don't wanna read ''Well, Andy Greene was staring off in space'' or ''Zajac was checking out Lauren Cohan in the crowd when that goal was scored!'' or ''Jimmy Hayes was floating around on the ice, as per usual'' because while I'm sure that all of these things probably will be happening tomorrow night, at least the odds are favorable for them happening, the odds are also very much in favor of Kinkaid allowing at least one bad goal. There's usually an excuse for him, like some phantom screen, or a ''GREAT SHOT'' or skilled player making a skilled play.

If he can't do better than Cory did tonight, or god forbid better than he's done the last two months, we'd be stupid to not start playing Cory more. Because Cory tonight is what you get the last 5 consecutive starts from Kinkaid, while Cory has played how many games in the last month? And this is probably the first time he's had a game like this since Winnipeg, about 4 weeks ago?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm troubled by the home record. It reminds me of the end of the 2000s when it felt like the team lost every game at home in front of a big crowd.
I was thinking of that earlier.

Our home record is pretty mediocre. Have we even won more games at home than we've lost, while also factoring in OT losses? It feels like we've lost as many as we've won, when including OT losses.

Our road record is great, but we need to be winning more games at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce