Online Series: Star Wars Andor on D+

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Rewatching the first arc
and Andor and Luthen's first meeting: Luthen says rule one is never have anything on site you don't control. Rule two is always have a way out.

Cassian has to be playing that game with him.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
My one gripe with the finasle.

Literally just shoot him. You have 50+ guys with guns, most with lines of fire.
If you watch closely you see that the stairway exited like a castle stairs IE the right hand against the wall to shoot you have to twist your body and bring the gun across your body (right handed). Pretty cool little detail almost taken directly from medieval texts

Reactions: I am not exposed

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
If you watch closely you see that the stairway exited like a castle stairs IE the right hand against the wall to shoot you have to twist your body and bring the gun across your body (right handed). Pretty cool little detail almost taken directly from medieval texts
I'm talking about shooting him from the ground. Even if you don't hit him, you're scaring him away from his position. It was dumb to go CQB in such a tight space. and with just a single soldier.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The order wasn't to kill him, but to simply make him stop. At the time that it was given, no shots had been fired and no one had been killed. The Imperials were trying to manage and de-escalate the situation, not escalate it, which shooting the town's bell ringer in full view of everyone likely would've done. If the stormtrooper had made it there faster, the bell ringer probably would've surrendered, but it so happened that the bomb went off and Stormtroopers subsequently started firing on the people while he was en route, which is likely why the bell ringer fought back. It was a good order at the time, IMO, but, yeah, he should've sent two stormtroopers instead of just one.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The order wasn't to kill him, but to simply make him stop. At the time that it was given, no shots had been fired and no one had been killed. The Imperials were trying to manage and de-escalate the situation, not escalate it, which shooting the town's bell ringer in full view of everyone likely would've done. If the stormtrooper had made it there faster, the bell ringer probably would've surrendered, but it so happened that the bomb went off and Stormtroopers subsequently started firing on the people while he was en route, which is likely why the bell ringer fought back. It was a good order at the time, IMO, but, yeah, he should've sent two stormtroopers instead of just one.

One for each hammer! :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

One for each hammer! :laugh:
doc-holiday.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kingsfan28

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm talking about shooting him from the ground. Even if you don't hit him, you're scaring him away from his position. It was dumb to go CQB in such a tight space. and with just a single soldier.

I was always under the impression that those blasters most stormtroopers carry aren’t very good over longer distances like that. Remember they were specifically told not to place snipers.

But they did have that mounted gun that I imagine has a better range. Might not be accurate, but several shots at the tower would’ve done the job.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I was always under the impression that those blasters most stormtroopers carry aren’t very good over longer distances like that. Remember they were specifically told not to place snipers.

But they did have that mounted gun that I imagine has a better range. Might not be accurate, but several shots at the tower would’ve done the job.
They were told not to place snipers because it would increase the chances of Andor getting killed, not because of the accuracy of the gun(s).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Took me a while to get around to the finale. I'll say that it's not the best episode of the season but it was still great stuff. The buildup to the riot was top notch. Maarva's speech was incredible. I liked how they framed Andor eventually giving in and joining the early rebellion. My only gripes were that parts of the riot seemed a bit...unintense is the only word I have for it. Like it wasn't choreographed properly. Some shots captured the horrors of the Empire's brutality but in many others people are walking around with no urgency, stormtroopers are getting jumped on without firing at their attackers...the riot was sufficient to serve as, ostensibly the first time the common folk rose up against tyranny laying the seeds for wider scale rebellion, but I think the action could have been executed better.

I've praised this show on an almost weekly basis so I don't think I need to do it again other than to say I agree with @Habsfunk. This isn't just a great star wars show. It's a great show period. And it really is a shame there's no plan to stretch it beyond two seasons.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Took me a while to get around to the finale. I'll say that it's not the best episode of the season but it was still great stuff. The buildup to the riot was top notch. Maarva's speech was incredible. I liked how they framed Andor eventually giving in and joining the early rebellion. My only gripes were that parts of the riot seemed a bit...unintense is the only word I have for it. Like it wasn't choreographed properly. Some shots captured the horrors of the Empire's brutality but in many others people are walking around with no urgency, stormtroopers are getting jumped on without firing at their attackers...the riot was sufficient to serve as, ostensibly the first time the common folk rose up against tyranny laying the seeds for wider scale rebellion, but I think the action could have been executed better.

I've praised this show on an almost weekly basis so I don't think I need to do it again other than to say I agree with @Habsfunk. This isn't just a great star wars show. It's a great show period. And it really is a shame there's no plan to stretch it beyond two seasons.
I'm not sure there's really more than a couple seasons of this story to tell without it feeling like they're just stretching it. I would love another similarly toned and written show though. Fingers crossed that the Acolyte goes for this. A well written and acted darker themed show dealing with Jedi and Sith? Yes please.

Reactions: HanSolo

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm not sure there's really more than a couple seasons of this story to tell without it feeling like they're just stretching it.
Embodied the dictate of "always leaving your audience wanting more".

The tension leading up to the riot was palpable. The slow march and the music was so well done.
I know. It was like the Canucks were trailing in a Cup Final!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really enjoyed that finale.
I liked the parallel between the confrontation in the street and the Boston Massacre, which was a significant event leading up to the American Revolution. I imagine that news of what happened on Ferrix will spread and become a catalyst for the Rebellion as we know it.

That was pretty clever of Mon Mothma to falsely accuse her husband of gambling, knowing that her driver would be spying and it'd help explain the money missing from her account. I'm a little confused by her hooking up her daughter, anyways, but perhaps she didn't want to take any chances... or she figured that she threw one family member under the bus for the rebel cause, so why not two.

I'm a little surprised that the sister thread teased early in the season went nowhere. Maybe that'll be picked up again in Season 2, especially since Cassian is now without family. Then again, if he were interested in going off to find her, he probably wouldn't have offered to join Luthen at the end. Chalk up another for the rebel cause over family.

Perhaps the only thing that would've made the episode better, IMO, would've been a major death to add some emotional weight and consequences. Cinta would've been a good choice, but even a minor death like one of Cassian's friends would've helped. Things just worked out a little too well for them and I was expecting more casualties because of how Rogue One ended. I guess that we'll have to wait until Season 2 to see the rebel scum get what they deserve.

One of the better things about this show is how many historical parallels it draws without ever simply mirroring any one historical event. The riot in the street gave me instant Haymarket Massacre-vibes (particularly due to the bomb). The Aldhani and Saw Gerrera sequences contained plenty of allusions and parallels to the revolutionary movements from the Arab Spring, Ireland, Russia, Cuba, and elsewhere (and Gerrera himself is pretty clearly an allusion to Che Guevara) - most broadly how commonly how revolutions are often against something, with the hatred of the status quo being the unifying factor rather than any agreed-upon desire for what would replace the existing system (which can often lead to more strife in the post-revolutionary period). Gilroy and the writers very clearly drew plenty of inspiration from the real world, but managed to stay out of simply telling a fictionalized version of any single real world event.

Also technically one of Andor's friends did die. RIP Xanwan (the guy that tells Andor his mom died in Ep11). Obviously this is too small a character to really counter your point, just felt like mentioning it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Speaking of historic parallels: the Narkina Prison escape reminded me of both the Great Escape, where only three guys managed not to get rounded back up and the Sobibor Revolt where few made it out of the war. It was like Melchi said someone has to get the word out even if the were the only two that made it.

What makes it worse, Andor saying he was in there for doing nothing and the other inmate saying "We've got a lot of that lately." These are a bunch of humans put lifing for minor offenses. Makes you think the harder offenders and nonhumans are in even worse conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad