Online Series: Star Wars Andor on D+

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If you're curious of these things, the quarry where they shot the fishermen sequence is located in Wirksworth. Pretty little town.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man it's wild to me how compelling Luthen is relative to other Star Wars characters. He comes off initially as a pretty tropey character who draws in a reluctant protagonist into the fold but the more the show has built him up he's shown as a man carefully living a double life who has meticulously crafted an underground network of informants out of the Empire's view. Presenting him as so dedicated to the cause of overthrowing the Empire that he'd be willing to sacrifice a whole arm of the early rebellion's might to protect one ISB informant is just so raw and cold it's, again, feels like it's very un-Star Wars in the best way.

The Original Trilogy had a very cut and dry sense of Rebels Good-Empire Bad. But war is rarely that virtuous even when one side is clearly more dangerous to the public. Rogue One and Andor have done a great job at showing that (The Last Jedi tried but it fell pretty flat).

And credit to everyone involved with making this a 12 episode show. It's a shame viewership isn't where it should be as it threatens to cut off investment in more projects like this but the 12 episode divided by arcs format has served this show so well at fleshing virtually everything out.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
And credit to everyone involved with making this a 12 episode show. It's a shame viewership isn't where it should be as it threatens to cut off investment in more projects like this but the 12 episode divided by arcs format has served this show so well at fleshing virtually everything out.
Hopefully Disney takes a long view approach on this one as I think it will grow on people. I expect there's some year end best lists and decent award bait to boost it too. Andy Serkis should be a shoe in for an Emmy nomination as Best Guest actor.

Reactions: Jussi and HanSolo

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
This is probably the best thing that Disney+ has released.

It's a shame it wasn't one of the first things they released, because as well as being a compelling story it's great universe building and other shows could have benefited greatly from that.

It also then wouldn't have suffered from a significant group of people not wanting to give it a chance because 'of what they did to obi wan and boba fett shows' and the 'it's a small character no one cares about' factors.

If this had followed mando season 1 I think it would have been much better received viewership wise

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Saw has a few screws loose. Just a few.

Forest Whitaker is such a dynamic actor, who can pull off some of the best unhinged looks I've ever seen.
1668770413111.png

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'mma sucker for a space fight, so this episode was up there for me.

Really does seem like they have a bunch of balls in the air to try to resolve in the last episode but I think they can pull it off. This show is just so well put together, the writing, set design, costumes, acting, CG, all of it is top shelf. Definitely some of the best SW content since the OT. I find myself being more interested in Luthen than Andor though. I'm still confused as to where Saw fits in and what trigger the Gorman massacre is going to push, since they've alluded to it several times.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still confused as to where Saw fits in and what trigger the Gorman massacre is going to push, since they've alluded to it several times.
Saw is likely just being established for his role in Rebels and Rogue One

The Ghorman massacre is what leads to Mon Mothma's public defection from the Empire

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I wouldn't call the post-credit scene massive. The show functions perfectly well with or without that scene. It just answers a fan question that people have.

Agreed, it's a clever addition. However, does this open Star Wars up to the world of post-credit scenes? I've always looked forward to them with Marvel movies.

Also, wow, what an ending.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed, it's a clever addition. However, does this open Star Wars up to the world of post-credit scenes? I've always looked forward to them with Marvel movies.

Also, wow, what an ending.
There have been occasional post-credit scenes in other Star Wars shows. The Book of Boba Fett was introduced in a Mandalorian post-credit scene. Then the BoBF finale had a post-credit scene. There was a post-credit scene in one of the Obi Wan episodes. So they're in the universe, but no guarantee (nor should they do MCU-like post-credit scenes).

Reactions: matt trick

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really enjoyed that finale.
I liked the parallel between the confrontation in the street and the Boston Massacre, which was a significant event leading up to the American Revolution. I imagine that news of what happened on Ferrix will spread and become a catalyst for the Rebellion as we know it.

That was pretty clever of Mon Mothma to falsely accuse her husband of gambling, knowing that her driver would be spying and it'd help explain the money missing from her account. I'm a little confused by her hooking up her daughter, anyways, but perhaps she didn't want to take any chances... or she figured that she threw one family member under the bus for the rebel cause, so why not two.

I'm a little surprised that the sister thread teased early in the season went nowhere. Maybe that'll be picked up again in Season 2, especially since Cassian is now without family. Then again, if he were interested in going off to find her, he probably wouldn't have offered to join Luthen at the end. Chalk up another for the rebel cause over family.

Perhaps the only thing that would've made the episode better, IMO, would've been a major death to add some emotional weight and consequences. Cinta would've been a good choice, but even a minor death like one of Cassian's friends would've helped. Things just worked out a little too well for them and I was expecting more casualties because of how Rogue One ended. I guess that we'll have to wait until Season 2 to see the rebel scum get what they deserve.

Reactions: Hivemind

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Finale was good, didn't quite blow me away like I was kind of expecting honestly. Seems like they got away a little too easy? Not very Star Warsie to escape a tight situation not by the skin of your teeth.

The riot was well put together though, captured the chaos nicely I thought. Was it just another reference to the Empire's arrogance that things got out of hand so quickly? I had really thought they stuffed B2EMO full of explosives and he was going to go full suicide bomber on their ass. For having a full garrison the Imps did a real poor job at what they're supposedly best at. The Mothma storyline just felt like it didn't quite get where it was supposed to but whatever. Really good season all and all. Will definitely rewatch it closer to the season 2 release date, and kind of holding out hope they can stretch it further than that.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Finale was good, didn't quite blow me away like I was kind of expecting honestly. Seems like they got away a little too easy? Not very Star Warsie to escape a tight situation not by the skin of your teeth.

The riot was well put together though, captured the chaos nicely I thought. Was it just another reference to the Empire's arrogance that things got out of hand so quickly? I had really thought they stuffed B2EMO full of explosives and he was going to go full suicide bomber on their ass. For having a full garrison the Imps did a real poor job at what they're supposedly best at. The Mothma storyline just felt like it didn't quite get where it was supposed to but whatever. Really good season all and all. Will definitely rewatch it closer to the season 2 release date, and kind of holding out hope they can stretch it further than that.
I disagree about Mon Mothma

It got her exactly when she needed to be:

- She manoeuvred to get the Empire off the scent (lying about her husband gambling
- She secured financing for the Rebellion by accepting to give her daughter up for marriage

She is clearly ready for the next step... in season 2 ;)

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad