Online Series: Star Wars: Ahsoka (August 23rd)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure why every dialogue scene involving Thrawn has to be on that same location in the Chimaera's hanger bay/on top of the Night Sister tower. That scene just looks so obviously shot on the Volume that it really distracts. And, of course, the sci-fi channel original movie-level of graphics for conjuring a sword didn't help things.

"Even I fell victim to the heroics of a single Jedi. Never again." - Then why did you let that single Jedi stay alive on the same planet as you for a decade? LMFAO. Especially when its proven you have undead soldiers you can just repeatedly throw at your enemies. And, guess what, that's the lone Jedi that sneaks aboard to warn the Republic (and presumably the near-to-form Resistance) about Thrawn's return. :laugh:

Ezra's contacts are really distracting every time there's a close-up or reaction shot (as are many of the actors'). We could have just lived with him having the wrong color eyes.

I see why Thrawn didn't use his TIE pilots in the previous battle. Those dudes sucked. :biglaugh:

Something about Rosario Dawson's costume and/or the light saber choreography in this episode made her look like an aerobics instructor (particularly when she was blocking lasers). :laugh: It just felt clunky and unwieldy. At least her fight with Morgan Ellsbeth was pretty cool, waaaaay better than the Night Trooper choreography.

I know others won't agree, but the force mysticism and Mortis arc were one of my least favorite elements of The Clone Wars. Given that we had already seen the World Between Worlds, I'm not surprised to see them crop up at the end here. But it does bum me out a little. No idea how they'll tie up Baylon Skoll's plot with them given his passing.

Better series than BoBF, Obi Wan, or Season 3 of Mando for sure. But still not on par with Mando season 1-2 or Andor. But this is the type of content Disney wants to help build up a universe around the sequel era similar to how TCW helped fans forgive the prequels for being hot garbage.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nice ending, imo. Sabine getting her powers at the last second to kill the zombie storm trooper gave me a bit of an eye roll, though.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Overall I liked the series, especially many of the details to make the characters look and act like the Rebel/Clone Wars cartoon versions. I would have preferred more Ahsoka for sure and I find they make her too weak when it came to sword fighting.

With Ray Stevenson gone I wonder where the character will go for the next season of the show.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Agree with some others that the lightsaber action looks clunky. I thought the series overall was really good. The last few episodes were kinda meh to me but not bad. Thrawn wasn't really portrayed as some tactical genius. We'll have to see what he does with more resources in season 2 or the movie. Really thought the space whales would bring Ahsoka and Sabine back at the end there. I guess the story isn't quite done in that galaxy yet though.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
As someone who hasn't seen of Rebels and very little of Clone Wars I really enjoyed the showed. I had fun researching the characters and the lore so I wasn't completely in the dark, but even my dad who definitely hasn't seen any of the animated shows really appreciated this series.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I liked it overall

few nit picks or observations

1) I wonder if Dawson was injured during the filming or something. Dawson is a good actress but something was off in the last 3 episodes.
2) Who else heard "brains" when it happened? (I play waaay too much Monsters vs zombies)
3)Sabine Wren was perfectly cast--maybe too perfectly as was Ezra (IMO)
4) Was the series just one long prolog to the movie?
5) How did the death of Ray Stevenson cause the last episode to be re edited? I think a B plot was reedited due to his death.

Over all I liked it--8 episodes was perfect. There was no real filler episode that both Obi Wan, Mando and Fett all had---I am happy there was no cross over in that perspective

Overall I liked the series, especially many of the details to make the characters look and act like the Rebel/Clone Wars cartoon versions. I would have preferred more Ahsoka for sure and I find they make her too weak when it came to sword fighting.

With Ray Stevenson gone I wonder where the character will go for the next season of the show.
As long as they do no use Dom Purcell--I really hate the guy. I dealt with him in my life in working in hotels a couple of times and was not impressed

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked it overall

few nit picks or observations

1) I wonder if Dawson was injured during the filming or something. Dawson is a good actress but something was off in the last 3 episodes.
2) Who else heard "brains" when it happened? (I play waaay too much Monsters vs zombies)
3)Sabine Wren was perfectly cast--maybe too perfectly as was Ezra (IMO)
4) Was the series just one long prolog to the movie?
5) How did the death of Ray Stevenson cause the last episode to be re edited? I think a B plot was reedited due to his death.

Over all I liked it--8 episodes was perfect. There was no real filler episode that both Obi Wan, Mando and Fett all had---I am happy there was no cross over in that perspective

As long as they do no use Dom Purcell--I really hate the guy. I dealt with him in my life in working in hotels a couple of times and was not impressed
I need thing brains lol or if a Jedi is bitten will they turn lol

For 4, I heard there will be a second season though not sure if confirmed so who knows if it will lead to a movie or a second season?? Anyone have a confirmed source?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I only heard about the movie
Take them with a grain of salt at this point...maybe both?

An April story in The Hollywood Reporter said that Disney was monitoring numbers for a potential Season 2 of Ahsoka that "would depend on the performance of the first season." Dawson also commented on the importance of fans watching in an EW cover story that ran before the Season 1 premiere: "I really, really hope the fans love it," she said. "That means A) we get to do more and B) we've honored the legacy of this character and this journey, and I know that's what we intended to do."

Even if Ahsoka is not renewed for a Season 2, though, we do know that Ahsoka Tano's story will continue. That's because it was announced earlier this year that Dave Filoni will direct a movie that intends to tie together his parts of the Star Wars universe—mainly Din Djarin/The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano, and Grand Admiral Thrawn—into one major crossover film.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I need thing brains lol or if a Jedi is bitten will they turn lol

For 4, I heard there will be a second season though not sure if confirmed so who knows if it will lead to a movie or a second season?? Anyone have a confirmed source?
I honestly think they will end up doing more than one movie. They are going to Marvel the Mandoverse IMO. It would be the best strategies as you have established characters that people like and, outside of The Book of Boba Fett, very successful shows.

Ahsoka and Sabine might not be in the first movie, but they'll get their season 2, make it back and be in the second one.

That would be my prediction. Heck, Disney should just hire me to run their studio ;)

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd prefer multiple seasons/movies to be honest. When you have that many characters come together with limited time, it always feels unnatural to me. A lot of "hey look it's Boba Fett" in scenes he really doesn't need to be in. I imagine Luke would be in this too unless he's really too busy at this new temple to not help stop the Empire re-organizing.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'd prefer multiple seasons/movies to be honest. When you have that many characters come together with limited time, it always feels unnatural to me. A lot of "hey look it's Boba Fett" in scenes he really doesn't need to be in. I imagine Luke would be in this too unless he's really too busy at this new temple to not help stop the Empire re-organizing.
See, that's another thing! If they are to do a big thing with Thrawn, Luke, Leia and Han have to be recast and used.

No f***ing way Luke and Leia, at the very least, are not involved if the Empire becomes a threat again.

If my "math" is correct, Ahsoka takes place about 5-8 years after ROTJ. That means that you have like 25 years before TFA's events. It is WAY too soon to tie-it to the First Order DIRECTLY!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
See, that's another thing! If they are to do a big thing with Thrawn, Luke, Leia and Han have to be recast and used.

No f***ing way Luke and Leia, at the very least, are not involved if the Empire becomes a threat again.

If my "math" is correct, Ahsoka takes place about 5-8 years after ROTJ. That means that you have like 25 years before TFA's events. It is WAY too soon to tie-it to the First Order DIRECTLY!
Well they have mentioned this is all going on at the same time as Mando etc. so we do know from that show that Luke has started his school but we have no clue what Han and Leia are specifically up to. At some point they have to bring Ben to the Luke new Jedi Academy etc. Will be interesting how they include any of this.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not exactly seeing what was so clunky about the lightsaber combat other than Sabine being a bit of an amateur. Same with Ashoka being "weak" in sword fighting. Elsbeth has been shown on two occasions now to be proficient with a blade, Ashoka won. She lost to Baylan but it's not like she got trampled. It was a fair fight. And she was pretty evenly matched in a spirit fight against Anakin. Never really sat there and thought "shouldn't she be better than this?"

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well they have mentioned this is all going on at the same time as Mando etc. so we do know from that show that Luke has started his school but we have no clue what Han and Leia are specifically up to. At some point they have to bring Ben to the Luke new Jedi Academy etc. Will be interesting how they include any of this.
From Ahsoka, we know Leia is in the senate. She saved Hera's ass :laugh:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

This is the way.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I honestly think they will end up doing more than one movie. They are going to Marvel the Mandoverse IMO. It would be the best strategies as you have established characters that people like and, outside of The Book of Boba Fett, very successful shows.

Ahsoka and Sabine might not be in the first movie, but they'll get their season 2, make it back and be in the second one.

That would be my prediction. Heck, Disney should just hire me to run their studio ;)
I look forward to the scene with Luke, Ahsoka, Sabine, Dinn, Grogu, Ezra, Boba Fett, and Cobb Vanth sitting down on Tatooine for some Bantha shawarma.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not exactly seeing what was so clunky about the lightsaber combat other than Sabine being a bit of an amateur. Same with Ashoka being "weak" in sword fighting. Elsbeth has been shown on two occasions now to be proficient with a blade, Ashoka won. She lost to Baylan but it's not like she got trampled. It was a fair fight. And she was pretty evenly matched in a spirit fight against Anakin. Never really sat there and thought "shouldn't she be better than this?"
I thought the big group battles were a bit clunky. Kind of hard to specify why, maybe because most of the lightsaber action is heavily choreographed but here they were just kind of standing around making relatively small movements and motions. As mentioned though the dual was really good.

Reactions: Hivemind

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just finished it.

For the most part I was entertained. I'm not as high on the actress playing Sabine as everyone else seems to be. She's not awful but I wasn't always impressed. I did like they guy they had for Ezra though. he felt like he "got it".

My biggest gripe is that I hate that they gave Sabine force powers. She didn't need them. She's a Mandalorian warrior and went the entirety of Rebels interacting with multiple Jedi with nary a hint that she was force-sensitive. She didn't need to be a Jedi and it dilutes the uniqueness/specialness of Jedi, especially in the post-prequel world after the purge, to start handing out force powers like candy. The story already has 2 Jedi characters and 2 not-Sith by the time they find Ezra. It doesn't need any more. Nothing about Sabine needed her to be a Jedi. She was a good character just the way she was.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just finished it.

For the most part I was entertained. I'm not as high on the actress playing Sabine as everyone else seems to be. She's not awful but I wasn't always impressed. I did like they guy they had for Ezra though. he felt like he "got it".

My biggest gripe is that I hate that they gave Sabine force powers. She didn't need them. She's a Mandalorian warrior and went the entirety of Rebels interacting with multiple Jedi with nary a hint that she was force-sensitive. She didn't need to be a Jedi and it dilutes the uniqueness/specialness of Jedi, especially in the post-prequel world after the purge, to start handing out force powers like candy. The story already has 2 Jedi characters and 2 not-Sith by the time they find Ezra. It doesn't need any more. Nothing about Sabine needed her to be a Jedi. She was a good character just the way she was.

Eh, she's at least from Clan Vizsla so it runs in the family.

Plus I think they're trying to emphasize what TLJ tried to... The Force is in everyone, but most don't train to harness it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Eh, she's at least from Clan Vizsla so it runs in the family.

Plus I think they're trying to emphasize what TLJ tried to... The Force is in everyone, but most don't train to harness it.

i don't like that because it is broadly established by basically every other piece of Star Wars media before then that while everyone may be connected to the force, a level of sensitivity/depth of connection sufficient to harness it as a tool and be a Jedi is extremely rare and belongs only to a few. It's like everyone can learn to swim, but not everyone can swim well enough to be an olympic gold medalist no matter how hard they train. There simply are some people who are gifted with physical traits that allow them to be better swimmers, or are simply more adept at learning the craft to a higher level.

I would've been fine with it just being Sabine using Ezra's lightsaber since she was trained to wield the Darksaber in Rebels for a purpose and martial skills fit with her Mandalorian training and background. But having her have sudden force potential now when Kanan, Ezra, and Ahsoka all spent 2-3 seasons of Rebels with her and never once even considered the idea that she might be force-sensitive makes them all look dumb just like her having sudden powers now takes away from her value as a badass character who can theoretically go (somewhat) toe-to-toe with a Jedi in spite of being a "normal" human.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought the big group battles were a bit clunky. Kind of hard to specify why, maybe because most of the lightsaber action is heavily choreographed but here they were just kind of standing around making relatively small movements and motions. As mentioned though the dual was really good.
I agree with this.

I think neither the cinematography nor choreography did the group battles many favors. The scenes in the bottom of the fortress were composed of these really flat shots, where the camera is either pointed at the three Jedi standing shoulder-to-shoulder in a head on fashion or at the group of Night Troopers in a similar head on fashion. The Jedi would then mimic blocking lasers, and then the shot would cut back-and-forth with the Night Troopers shooting. It didn't really feel all like one scene at all, just two groups of people playing pretend. Contrast this with the duel sequence, when it was shot to show both characters simultaneously and they actually had weapons that would make contact with one another, and it felt much more fluid and alive.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just finished it.

For me I think she ultimately came out to be (her own kind of) charming and likable. She has a somewhat forced way of delivering snarky/youthfully witty lines, but I know people who talk just like her in real life complete with the same bit of "forcing it" so it didn't bother me much.

As for giving her force powers and diluting the jedi...I mean that's one way to look at it but if you apply the same scrutiny you can find examples of Star Wars retconning the Rule of 2 with the Sith a bit and broadening the scope of the Jedi both before and after Disney's purchase of the franchise. As a few examples, you have the Inquisitors in Rebels and Obi Wan who are not technically Sith, but fill the void of a lack of one. You have Anakin suddenly have a previously unheard of apprentice in the years between Episodes 2 and 3 and an apprentice he had a deep connection with. Pure after the fact invention. As I mentioned, even the scope of the Old Republic's jedi order is in pretty stark contrast compared to the way Obi Wan generally described them in A New Hope. Things were already getting diluted for the sake of more opportunities to tell jedi stories with jedi action before Disney ever stepped in.

Maybe there weren't hints that Sabine was force sensitive before, but do we really need some allusion that she might be touched by something mystic to move this part of her story forward? I mean they filled the sequel trilogy with hints that Finn is force sensitive. Is it a tragedy that nothing came of it?

I agree she didn't need to be a jedi, but I don't find it an offensive development for Ashoka's character as having never been a master/teacher after she turned her back on the jedi order. Did that role necessarily have to be filled by Sabine Wren? Did it have to be a part of Ashoka's character going forward? Not necessarily, but it doesn't bother me much. I think there's enough of a compelling arc set up that Sabine could have been at risk to go dark side in using the force to seek revenge. But that's just me. I had different issues with certain elements of the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad