Player Discussion: Stanley

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's ok to lose Demelo if we replace him with similar or better quality.

I'd be thrilled if we lost Demelo (no offense to him, I'm a fan) in the X draft and signed either Dougie Hamilton or Adam Larsson in UFA.

I understand that attracting UFAs isn't easy but it might be another unusual market this summer, given the flat cap.

There aren't a lot of UFA dmen available that are actually good and would be an upgrade.

Why not sign a Dman and keep Demelo?

Demelo has shown he works well with Morrissey and makes him better.

Sorry, massively off topic for the Stanley thread, they just really need to be losing a F in this exp draft, way too thin at proven dmen :laugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm fine with keeping Demelo.
As long as we draft 18 OA.

Someone above said it would cost us a mid-round pick. I'd be shocked if you could tell Seattle what to do for such a low price.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There aren't a lot of UFA dmen available that are actually good and would be an upgrade.

Why not sign a Dman and keep Demelo?

Demelo has shown he works well with Morrissey and makes him better.

Sorry, massively off topic for the Stanley thread, they just really need to be losing a F in this exp draft, way too thin at proven dmen :laugh:
DeMelo is the best current option to pair with Morrissey, but I am not confident that pair is good enough as a top pair for a contender. I actually think Samberg-Pionk might be a better top pair, considering how Pionk managed to carry Forbort last season. Give Pionk a really strong partner.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think you have to expose Demelo (and I like Demelo)...... I still think SEA will take a forward from us but if they do take Demelo, we have a better chance at finding a Demelo clone for his 3 mil salary then a Stanley clone for 900k

Unless we expose Copp there is no way Seattle takes one of our exposure candidates over DeMelo. Seattle is all in on analytics and have assembled an impressive analytics team, DeMelo is exactly the kind of player you'd expect them to target.

I still say expose Morrissey... I don't think Seattle takes him so he's not going anywhere.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
DeMelo is the best current option to pair with Morrissey, but I am not confident that pair is good enough as a top pair for a contender. I actually think Samberg-Pionk might be a better top pair, considering how Pionk managed to carry Forbort last season. Give Pionk a really strong partner.
I tend to agree. I think we're about halfway there on D, in the sense that giving Pionk and Morrissey suitable partners makes those pairings pretty good. DeMelo is one of those guys so not sure we should be too quick to get rid of him. That said, I'm not sure either pair becomes a true top pairing but they may be adequate for the team to succeed. It's the veteran dead weight that they get asked to carry around that hampers their play more than anything.

On topic agree with @ps241 that Stanley was by far the most pleasant surprise. He needs more time given his age, but what a treat to watch that level of play from a guy that was so poorly received initially. He's a heck of a third pairing guy right now and only 22. Two-three more years and he should hopefully be a quality middle pairing guy that does well on the PK.

Hope we're able to keep both Stanley and DeMelo.

Reactions: ps241

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
If Samberg is as good as advertised, I'll take those four D-men on my team.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Earlier this season I was saying protect demelo over Stanley. Demelo was a known entity who didn't look out of place in the top 4. However, Stanley just continues to get better and I love that bomb and his mean streak. Opposition fans hate him too which means he's doing something right.

I think we might have ourselves a dandy - I'd hate to lose Demelo but if it's one or the other I'm keeping Stanley

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That is based on a gigantic assumption that Samberg will be that, given he's played zero minutes in the NHL.

I also think there's no way on earth we roll with Stanley, Heinola and Samberg all playing at the same time (though at this point if it means Poolman/ Forbort/ Beaulieu don't play, I'm all in on that idea).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That is based on a gigantic assumption that Samberg will be that, given he's played zero minutes in the NHL.

I also think there's no way on earth we roll with Stanley, Heinola and Samberg all playing at the same time (though at this point if it means Poolman/ Forbort/ Beaulieu don't play, I'm all in on that idea).
Probably right, but as you note, it's pretty remarkable that they went with a D featuring Beaulieu, Forbort and Poolman.

Reactions: Jet

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
If Samberg is as good as advertised, I'll take those four D-men on my team.
That’s just it. Everyone that has played zero NHL games comes advertised as wonderful. Until someone plays, you don’t know if their game translates to the next level.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Earlier this season I was saying protect demelo over Stanley. Demelo was a known entity who didn't look out of place in the top 4. However, Stanley just continues to get better and I love that bomb and his mean streak. Opposition fans hate him too which means he's doing something right.

I think we might have ourselves a dandy - I'd hate to lose Demelo but if it's one or the other I'm keeping Stanley

I'm not as high on Stanley yet. He's played well but he's been sheltered a lot. He scored 2 goals in Game 4 which was great but he also had some terrible giveaways.

I'm not saying he won't get there but I still think he has to prove he can handle top 4 minutes and opposition before we can say he's a long term feature there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That’s just it. Everyone that has played zero NHL games comes advertised as wonderful. Until someone plays, you don’t know if their game translates to the next level.
I don't think it's as mysterious as it might seem. Players that have been really good for an extended period in strong development leagues tend to translate pretty well. Samberg has a really strong track record, so it would be a surprise if he wasn't capable of making the transition.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
With Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg, and now Stanley defying HF odds we now have 4 defenseman to make a formidable left side. Kind of similar to our right side a few years back. I see Heinola as the guy to go to the right side at this point, or do we make a trade to balance our handedness? Will definitely be interesting to see what we look like going into training camp.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg, and now Stanley defying HF odds we now have 4 defenseman to make a formidable left side. Kind of similar to our right side a few years back. I see Heinola as the guy to go to the right side at this point, or do we make a trade to balance our handedness? Will definitely be interesting to see what we look like going into training camp.
Maurice was quite clear that he didn't plan to play Heinola on his off side. So I do think that the Jets have a bit of a glut on LD. My guess is that they'll either trade on of their young LD as part of a package for a RD, or maybe keep Samberg in the AHL at least for some time next season. Another possibility would be to leave Stanley exposed, and if he's taken by Seattle it would clear up some congestion.

Reactions: Flair Hay

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maurice was quite clear that he didn't plan to play Heinola on his off side. So I do think that the Jets have a bit of a glut on LD. My guess is that they'll either trade on of their young LD as part of a package for a RD, or maybe keep Samberg in the AHL at least for some time next season. Another possibility would be to leave Stanley exposed, and if he's taken by Seattle it would clear up some congestion.

If they “need someone for Josh” does that mean the RHD is

Mystery guest
Pionk
DeMelo (Seattle?)
Poolman
Kovi

Then LHD

Morrissey
?
Tree/Sandman/Ville

you let the Three top prospect compete to be Pionk’s partner.

That still means only one rookie + Tree in the line up.

Who do you trade to get X knowing we aren’t attracting a 1st pair UFA?

Who goes to Seattle?

lots of moving parts.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
...that's like cutting off a hand to get rid of a skin rash. I still think the sky's the limit for him and he needs to be protected. I understand the glut of left-handed shooters. I'd much rather see a trade. That may take place down the road. I think Heinola is ready to take a crack at a full-time gig next season. I see no indication that Samberg is. Bring Samberg up to play some games this year so we can take a look, but I'd feel better if he started dominating in the AHL before he took his next step.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Exactly! Samberg is still unproven at the highest level. I also agree that having Stanley, Heinol and Samberg all on the big team at the same time looks high on talent, but high on a plethora of rookie mistakes too. Even if I don't think that, Maurice certainly does.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought Stanley's press conference showed a lot of character for a young man who just got ousted from the playoffs. A couple of times the questions about his goals gave him the chance to pump his tires, but he did not. He basically said while nice, they win and they lose as a team.
The Jets have always said they look for character in their draft picks and I think Stanley has a fair bit of character.
I too think he will be protected in the XD. This guy just has too much potential. :nod:
I am not sure where his ceiling is, but man have we missed a big guy back there. He is like a hybrid Meyers/Buff lite. Stick like Meyers, aggressive like Buff.
Too bad the old unit isn't here to take him under the wing.
Buff & Stanley pairing might have been about the scariest D pair one might encounter in recent history...(even for our coaches that is some serious risk/reward)
Stanley would have to be more fleet of foot but damn...what ifs eh?

Reactions: Jetland162702

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Agree.

What he's shown is a very solid "floor" to his game. Despite his inexperience and limitations in mobility, he showed good awareness, solid defensive "stopping" ability, and sharp decisions with the puck. He seems very likely to improve on that baseline, and if he improves considerably, the Jets have something. He also has a very good shot.

The fact that he's big and physically imposing is a bonus.
Another plus.....Hab and Leaf fans hate him already.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I'm not as high on Stanley yet. He's played well but he's been sheltered a lot. He scored 2 goals in Game 4 which was great but he also had some terrible giveaways.

I'm not saying he won't get there but I still think he has to prove he can handle top 4 minutes and opposition before we can say he's a long term feature there.
Agreed. Let’s see him after significant games against teams not in the North Division and against some second and third lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad