Player Discussion: Stanley

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stanley Update:

IMO Micah's model is better than RAPM/GAR/xGAR in small samples due to using last season as a weak prior rather than starting everyone at 0 (still recomend looking at both).

stanllo98.png

Before Stanley was looking like a hurt offense but hurt opponent offense about equally player, which is good for a depth, 3rd pairing type. As sample has expanded he's not looking as good defensively.

Now that sounds negative but let's put this in context:
* Only Jets' D posting better 5v5 numbers this season are DeMelo, Forbort, and Pionk
* These numbers are relative to average, so an average #5/6 isn't normally going to be killing it
* He's a rookie so obvious learning curve

His 5v5 icetime has actually gone down, and despite playing more games his very low QoC keeps staying very low. So still staying heavily, heavily sheltered compared to what we normally see. Raw/unadjsuted numbers at least suggest a bit lesser sheltering to learn more about Stanley and also give him some more reps could be beneficial.

Still looks to me like a #5/6 guy who will peak in the #4 range on a good team if he progresses well. Obviously with projections slightly higher and slightly lower are possible, but I'd say that middle ground is most likely given current performance.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hopefully the big man gets in with Beau's injury. He's been solid in his role.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Think he's to slow to keep up with the Leafs speed.
well it's either him or niku. and niku is completely a defensive liability. when we first played the leafs he was the worst of all Jets players in shot attempts against (per toi)
At least he'll try force them outside instead of Beaulieu letting them walk straight to the net lol
size/reach and iq can help with that.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Think he's to slow to keep up with the Leafs speed.
He's not anywhere near as slow or cumbersome as some people say. They sound like they just read a scouting report on him from three years ago.

He doesn't need great speed as long as he doesn't let anybody behind him, anyways. Besides, other than Morrissey and Pionk, who has great footspeed on our defense?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He's not anywhere near as slow or cumbersome as some people say. They sound like they just read a scouting report on him from three years ago.

He doesn't need great speed as long as he doesn't let anybody behind him, anyways. Besides, other than Morrissey and Pionk, who has great footspeed on our defense?
I thought Stanley played ok in the games he's played this season and we could use a little size on our defense.

Reactions: GNP and larmex99

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As I said in another thread, I half believe that Maurice is sitting Stanley to hide him from the Seattle scouts. Maybe they'll find another unheralded defenseman on another team that they'd like more. I would be sooooooo disappointed if we lost him after all the development we put in and how far he has come.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As I said in another thread, I half believe that Maurice is sitting Stanley to hide him from the Seattle scouts. Maybe they'll find another unheralded defenseman on another team that they'd like more. I would be sooooooo disappointed if we lost him after all the development we put in and how far he has come.
He’s doing well but no one can hide a guy who is 6’7. He is doing great, but we have better in the wings.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’d say he’s been one of our steadiest defensemen.
I don’t worry when the puck is on his stick like I do with others (cough boo boo cough).
He’s done everything asked of him and more. He should absolutely stay in the lineup.
Would he be eligible for the expansion draft?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If we don't lose him we will have to lose another player we have invested a lot of development in and who has come far. Not saying I want them to take Stanley, but we could do worse. We have to lose someone.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The above couple of statements not withstanding, I came here to say how impressed I am with Stanley's play. I thought the fast Leafs forwards would expose him, but he performed well.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I've been happy with Stanley's play so far. For a bottom pair guy getting his first real stretch of NHL games, I think he's held his own. He has good hands and can move the puck better than guys like Forbert and Beaulieu already.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

His reach more than makes up for his 'lack' of speed (I think people are seeing big man syndrome, long strides = slow, same thing happened with Antropov)

Theres been a few times where I thought that Stanley's gap wasn't tight enough but he still managed to knock the puck away or block a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad