WJC: Standouts of the tournament so far

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think this is a fair assessment - I thought he played well and was a guy that caught my eye more than once - guy was usually in the play in some capacity. and was one of very few Swiss player that could create offence for himself I found.
I can see where you’re coming from though - I had the same problem with Germany - I though there were players that had solid tournaments but other than Roßmy - no one really stood out. Maybe that’s just what happens when you’re cheering for your nation.
Fahrni didn't do anything on his own. Him and Allenspach got glued together by the coaches and it was always the latter driving the line. Allenspach is like the ultimate energy guy, probably the guy everybody on the team wanted to play with. Never takes a shift off and always looking to make plays. The two also played with Biasca quite a bit who's an elite playmaker and showed some of his finishing qualities in this tournament as well. But no matter how you assess the rest of his tournament, the Germany game was an absolute impertinence and he should have gotten benched at the very least. He was supposed to be Switzerland's best forward but instead gifts the Germans a goal with a defensive zone giveaway. Instead of trying to make up for it, he decides to go with a kneeing that should have resulted in major and could have resulted in a serious injury. Absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Cry about it. Your shtick is obvious.
? Don’t think we’ve ever interacted on here before - don’t understand your distain towards me.

IF this is because you think I dislike all TML prospects, you couldn’t be further from the truth. I really like the following: Voi, Tverberg, Villeneuve, Woll, Moldenhauer, Knies (although I find that the Leafs pump his tires too much, still really like the player), Lisowsky and Abruzzese.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
When a player gets hyped the way Hirovnen was pre-tournament (you can thank Leafs fans for that) I expect an MVP like performance.
Both Toronto Finns players have been disappointing in my opinion.
I'd be curious to know, where have you read or seen Hirvonen getting a lot of hype before the tournament?

Kopitar11

Oct 16, 2016
Sweden
+
Jiri Kulich
Jan Mysak
Adam Sykora
Bergmanis
Biasca/Fahhrni/Allenspach
Blank/Rossny
Andrae
Kemell
Heimosalmi/Puttio
Stakkestad

-
Brad Lambert
Simon Knak
Kapanen
Expected more by Niemelä
Edvinsson
Dvorsky

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'd be curious to know, where have you read or seen Hirvonen getting a lot of hype before the tournament?
You seem to obviously care alot about this alot - just a tip, especially online - not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you. Trust me, once you accept this you’ll have a much better time on here.

I’ve seen numerous Leaf fans on socials exclaim how he‘s the next Marchand where the post would have hundreds of likes. I understand there is bias there since it was Leaf account but nonetheless I have expected that sort of impact. Sorry to say he has yet to deliver. It is what it is, my fault for expecting too much I guess.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
You seem to obviously care alot about this alot - just a tip, especially online - not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you. Trust me, once you accept this you’ll have a much better time on here.

I’ve seen numerous Leaf fans on socials exclaim how he‘s the next Marchand where the post would have hundreds of likes. I understand there is bias there since it was Leaf account but nonetheless I have expected that sort of impact. Sorry to say he has yet to deliver. It is what it is, my fault for expecting too much I guess.
Well, you should probably not get your opinions about prospects on social media.

Reactions: Samhockey3

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Well, you should probably not get your opinions about prospects on social media.
I usually hear of prospects through friends and family connected into the hockey circuit around the globe - they also rely on me to divulge my opinion back to them.

I think that social media is a great way to get into prospect discovery. Isn’t HF social media? I think so - IMO HF is the best way to find a large group of likeminded people to talk about specifically prospects with. I think that what we talk about on here is the best way for people outside of the loop of prospects to get an introduction To a specific player. I think HF is very important in the grand scheme of things.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
All of this is wrong.

But it’s always nice to hear from non-Canadians about how Canadians talk about hockey players based on their vast experience.

Lol, the country of Don Cherry.

You’re a funny guy, keep going.

Ridly Grieg has pretty much established himself at this tournament for precisely that kind of play.

All I see is someone who is miffed because his team’s prospect isn’t being talked about enough while playing on a line with two much more talented players.
Sorry if it sounds harsh but that's the culture Canadians have perpetuated throughout the past decade. It has nothing to do with Don Cherry or anything you want to use as a way to cope, good straight styled hockey players don't get appreciated or respect up North when it's a NY owned player.
Been that way for many many years now and with Othmann it's no different. If he was owned by a Canadian team you'd hear his name much more. I'd bet money on that

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sorry if it sounds harsh but that's the culture Canadians have perpetuated throughout the past decade. It has nothing to do with Don Cherry or anything you want to use as a way to cope, good straight styled hockey players don't get appreciated or respect up North when it's a NY owned player.
Been that way for many many years now and with Othmann it's no different. If he was owned by a Canadian team you'd hear his name much more. I'd bet money on that

This is such a farcically absurd take, I commend you.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Anytime I have an opinion that isn’t in the Leafs’ favour, people like you come out of the bushes and cry wolf.

I’m sorry if my opinion doesn’t align with your biases.
Obviously, it aligns with your own biases. Just like everyone else.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I hope you're right. Would love to see him pan out for my Habs. My only concern is that his skating has to improve.
Habs sure love to draft guys with skating issues. So sick of hearing that shit. Hopefully this new regime isn’t so dumb. 9/10 times these prospects with skating issues never improve it. Should be a lesson learned by now.

Galchenyuk
Kotkaniemi
Tinordi
McCarron

Are the big ones, but there’s also a ton of lesser prospects that were taken in later rounds that had skating issues as well, and surprise, they busted. I don’t know what the strategy was here, but it seems like they took these types way less frequently as Timmins’ role in scouting and drafting diminished.

Hopefully Mysak is an exception, but historically, the chances aren’t too good.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Habs sure love to draft guys with skating issues. So sick of hearing that shit. Hopefully this new regime isn’t so dumb. 9/10 times these prospects with skating issues never improve it. Should be a lesson learned by now.

Galchenyuk
Kotkaniemi
Tinordi
McCarron

Are the big ones, but there’s also a ton of lesser prospects that were taken in later rounds that had skating issues as well, and surprise, they busted. I don’t know what the strategy was here, but it seems like they took these types way less frequently as Timmins’ role in scouting and drafting diminished.

Hopefully Mysak is an exception, but historically, the chances aren’t too good.
the drafting and development under bergevin was horrific

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It really isn't and it's one that ALL Canadians will deny. It's the same exact reason there was so much hype over Lafreniere only for it to disappear overnight when that NYR lottery ball was shown.

I think the hype disappeared when he had a very pedestrian start to his career.

This idea that Americans admire straight-forward hockey players, role players, two-way guys, grinders and the like, more than Canadians do, is one of the stranger arguments I've ever seen put forward on this site.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I think the hype disappeared when he had a very pedestrian start to his career.
nah I remember by the time that season started in January he wasn't talked about anymore. Before that August lottery the kid was being hyped up North as if he was the second coming, especially around here. And I mean I don't blame them, the idea of a QC kid going #1 and possibly going to play for a team like Toronto or Edmonton is cool but it was this romanticization that immediately just ceased to exist once people found out he's going to be a New York Ranger.

Like I said, if Othmann was owned by a Canadian team right now he'd get much more love and f*** at that point I'm even willing to go out on a limb and say he'd get more TOI too.

• Haha

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
nah I remember by the time that season started in January he wasn't talked about anymore. Before that August lottery the kid was being hyped up North as if he was the second coming, especially around here. And I mean I don't blame them, the idea of a QC kid going #1 and possibly going to play for a team like Toronto or Edmonton is cool but it was this romanticization that immediately just ceased to exist once people found out he's going to be a New York Ranger.

Like I said, if Othmann was owned by a Canadian team right now he'd get much more love and f*** at that point I'm even willing to go out on a limb and say he'd get more TOI too.
good take, Except for the fact that before the draft only Ottawa had any chance of winning the lottery.

Wake up from your delusion and join the real world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad