WJC: Standouts of the tournament so far

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Stankoven
419.gif

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
For Sweden, only standouts (performing better than expected)

- Emil Andrae
- Grinders Åke Stakkestad, Oskar Magnusson

Everyone else has done what has been expected from them, or less than so
Who drafted Andrae again?

Good composure and leadership. Some impressive passes off the board

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Othmann, and he will never get any love by a majority of people up North because he "doesn't play like a good ol' flashy Canadian boy". Still early to say but in a re-draft Othmann slides into the top-10 and there really shouldn't be any debate. Drury's first draft pick too
He doesn't have a case over anyone taken top 8 as of now. Might in the future, but not now. Guenther is arguable. He'd be picked over Boucher 11 times out of 10. But, if you're doing that, you also have to consider some guys like Lysell, Johnston, Zellweger and probably some others.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
What the hell does this mean? He has looked great in my opinion. However your original statement is asinine.
it's simple, if the guy isn't scoring highlight reel goals that wind up on the NHL Network or their favorite Instagram pages, the player isn't worth a deeper look. Hell I've seen users go out and call Othmann a "Canadian that plays too much like an American"
whatever THAT means...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
it's simple, if the guy isn't scoring highlight reel goals that wind up on the NHL Network or their favorite Instagram pages, the player isn't worth a deeper look. Hell I've seen users go out and call Othmann a "Canadian that plays too much like an American"
whatever THAT means...

All of this is wrong.

But it’s always nice to hear from non-Canadians about how Canadians talk about hockey players based on their vast experience.

Just feels like sometimes heavy hitters and pest-like players don't seem to get as much love from people in Canada compared to more high end skill guys.

Lol, the country of Don Cherry.

You’re a funny guy, keep going.

Ridly Grieg has pretty much established himself at this tournament for precisely that kind of play.

All I see is someone who is miffed because his team’s prospect isn’t being talked about enough while playing on a line with two much more talented players.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MM917 and AirGut

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
In the last game yes he was a standout.. Before that, he was been a disapointment
I agree that he has had just one outstanding game and had been so-so in the others, but I feel like it also takes just one more great game to go into the category of being a tournament standout. Almost nobody has been great every game. Consistency is tough and we really have the microscope out to evaluate these guys unlike in an 82 game season where you can disappear for a few games without it being a big issue.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm not impressed with his game. Too small and slow. Also a puck hog. Just my opinion.
I in fact see the same things a bit in him. Definitely not as impressed with his play as some other Finns seem to be. Not that I think he has been bad (except against Canada he pretty much sucked), but I haven’t just been specificly impressed with his play either. A bit too small as you mentioned and he doesn’t have good enough skating for such a small player. I do think that he has pretty good hockey IQ, but yes, occasionally he seems to be a bit of a puck hog. Nothing too bad with that in my opinion though. He can still make some really nice passing plays too after all.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Othmann, and he will never get any love by a majority of people up North because he "doesn't play like a good ol' flashy Canadian boy". Still early to say but in a re-draft Othmann slides into the top-10 and there really shouldn't be any debate. Drury's first draft pick too
You think?
Power
Mctavish
Beniers
Hughes
Johnson
Eklund
Edvinsson
Guenther
Clarke
Sillinger
Wallstedt
W. Johnston

I don’t think he go top 10 in a redraft

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I in fact see the same things a bit in him. Definitely not as impressed with his play as some other Finns seem to be. Not that I think he has been bad (except against Canada he pretty much sucked), but I haven’t just been specificly impressed with his play either. A bit too small as you mentioned and he doesn’t have good enough skating for such a small player. I do think that he has pretty good hockey IQ, but yes, occasionally he seems to be a bit of a puck hog. Nothing too bad with that in my opinion though. He can still make some really nice passing plays too after all.
Great post.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
whatever THAT means...
You're absolutely lost. If anyone understands the value of a well rounded player it's us.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Canada:
Ridly Greig
Mason McTavish
Ronan Seeley
Olen Zellweger
Dylan Garand

Finland:
Roby Järventie
Kasper Simontaival
Kasper Puutio
Joakim Kemmel
Aleksi Heimosalmi

USA:
Carter Mazur
Thomas Bordeleau
Landon Slaggert
Logan Cooley

Sweden:
Emil Andrea
Jesper Wallstedt

Czechia:
Jiri Kulich
Jan Mysak
Tomas Hamara

Austria:
Senna Peeters
Ian Scherzer
David Reinbacher

Germany:
Bennett Rossmy
Alexander Blank (for one game)

Slovakia:
Rayen Petrovicky
Servac Petrovsky

Latvia:
Ralfs Bergmanis
Bruno Bruveris
Dans Locmelis
Kalvs Veinbergs

Switzerland:
Attilo Biasca
Joshua Fahrni
Jonas Taibel

Joshua Fahrni actually played a piss poor tournament. One of the biggest disappointments from a Swiss perspective. A very good and trusted player for Bern, averaged over 13mins last season. Based on that he should have done a lot better. He was lucky he got to play Allenspach or he'd have looked even worse. The kneeing vs Germany was beyond dumb and should have been a major. Also had a horrible defensive zone turnover that led to a goal against. At this level, unforgiveable for a player of his calibre. Taibel and Biasca I'm with you though. Especially Taibel played a very strong tournament. One stupid giveaway that lead to a goal against but overall he was mighty impressive for a double underager. Without him we may not even qualify for the QF's. It was him who drew the deciding major late in the 3rd. The assist vs Canada was a beauty as well. Great recovery along the boards after falling down. Not bad for a double underager. His point totals always seem to low but he's always great when playing for Switzerland.

Here's the Fahrni turnover. This is something you can look past coming from a double underager but not from a senior player, let alone the one who played by far the most NL minutes last season.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Joshua Fahrni actually played a piss poor tournament. One of the biggest disappointments from a Swiss perspective. A very good and trusted player for Bern, averaged over 13mins last season. Based on that he should have done a lot better. He was lucky he got to play Allenspach or he'd have looked even worse. The kneeing vs Germany was beyond dumb and should have been a major. Also had a horrible defensive zone turnover that led to a goal against. At this level, unforgiveable for a player of his calibre. Taibel and Biasca I'm with you though. Especially Taibel played a very strong tournament. One stupid giveaway that lead to a goal against but overall he was mighty impressive for a double underager. Without him we may not even qualify for the QF's. It was him who drew the deciding major late in the 3rd. The assist vs Canada was a beauty as well. Great recovery along the boards after falling down. Not bad for a double underager. His point totals always seem to low but he's always great when playing for Switzerland.
I think this is a fair assessment - I thought he played well and was a guy that caught my eye more than once - guy was usually in the play in some capacity. and was one of very few Swiss player that could create offence for himself I found.
I can see where you’re coming from though - I had the same problem with Germany - I though there were players that had solid tournaments but other than Roßmy - no one really stood out. Maybe that’s just what happens when you’re cheering for your nation.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Me thinks you just hate him because he's a Leafs prospect. Just a wild guess.
He's unhinged when it comes to the Leafs.

I'd say Hirvonen has outperformed Niemela like we were talking about earlier. The pre-tourney hype for Hirvonen was non-existent among TOR's base so he's been a surprise.

Reactions: Jukurit

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He's unhinged when it comes to the Leafs.

I'd say Hirvonen has outperformed Niemela like we were talking about earlier. The pre-tourney hype for Hirvonen was non-existent among TOR's base so he's been a surprise.
Anytime I have an opinion that isn’t in the Leafs’ favour, people like you come out of the bushes and cry wolf.

I’m sorry if my opinion doesn’t align with your biases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad