WJC: Standouts of the tournament so far

Ex3ggutor

Jul 10, 2015
Zellweger was the standout for me.
Kent Johnson's got a lot of talent but i tought he was painfull to watch.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Zellweger was the standout for me.
Kent Johnson's got a lot of talent but i tought he was painfull to watch.
I've always thought the same watching him. He plays a very high risk, high reward style of offense, and he gets both results.

Reactions: ruhzy

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It really isn't and it's one that ALL Canadians will deny. It's the same exact reason there was so much hype over Lafreniere only for it to disappear overnight when that NYR lottery ball was shown.
Lafreniere hype is gone because he has the lowest production for a first overall in the last 10+ years. He is worse than Yakupov, who was on a rebuilding Canadian team.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
good take, Except for the fact that before the draft only Ottawa had any chance of winning the lottery.

Wake up from your delusion and join the real world.
Did everyone forget there was two lotteries? The #1 was a toss up between 8 different teams and there was already people thinking it was a forgone conclusion that Lafreniere, the Canadian boi, would be playing for a team North of the border because "it's Gary's script man". Once that didn't happen, people pouted and moved onto the next big name Canadian to overhype and worship. I mean hell I remember Brian Burke himself getting all pissy LIVE on TSN at the Rangers simply because they finally had a good thing comin their way. You don't think mindsets like that trickle down to every other Hockey fan up there?

And yes of course it didn't help that Lafreniere had a boring rookie season but that's my point, Laf plays a much more heavy & hard two-way style and unless the guy is pure flashy offense and on the highlight reels every week there is NO respect. I feel the exact same thing happening with Othmann.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did everyone forget there was two lotteries? The #1 was a toss up between 8 different teams and there was already people thinking it was a forgone conclusion that Lafreniere, the Canadian boi, would be playing for a team North of the border because "it's Gary's script man". Once that didn't happen, people pouted and moved onto the next big name Canadian to overhype and worship. I mean hell I remember Brian Burke himself getting all pissy LIVE on TSN at the Rangers simply because they finally had a good thing comin their way. You don't think mindsets like that trickle down to every other Hockey fan up there?

And yes of course it didn't help that Lafreniere had a boring rookie season but that's my point, Laf plays a much more heavy & hard two-way style and unless the guy is pure flashy offense and on the highlight reels every week there is NO respect. I feel the exact same thing happening with Othmann.

Ottawa’s star players are American and German.

Toronto’s is American too.

Montreal just drafted a Slovak first overall over the highly touted Canadian.

Vancouver’s top scorer is American, as are Calgary’s two star players until they just left.

Your line of reasoning is beyond bizarre.

We don’t care where they are from, only how they play.

Who are the fan favourites? Alfredsson and Karlsson, Sundin, the Sedins? Kovalev and Koivu?

The reason people were annoyed at Laf going to New York is because they were already basically a playoff team that had no business drafting first overall.

Never in a million years did I ever expect to see a Rangers fan trying to portray their franchise as a victim.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
good take, Except for the fact that before the draft only Ottawa had any chance of winning the lottery.

Wake up from your delusion and join the real world.
What does that even mean, every team not in the playoffs gets a chance, even the worst team only had a 20% chance. Ottawa drafted fifth that year,

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I mean hell I remember Brian Burke himself getting all pissy LIVE on TSN at the Rangers simply because they finally had a good thing comin their way.
I am going to just ignore the rest of this whiney post, and going to highlight this ridiculous statement.

Finally had a good thing comin their way?

• Panarin
  • 4th round pick becomes the best goalie in the world
  • Malcontent American top prospect refuses to play for previous teams, forces hand to NY for nothing, becomes top 5 dman
  • Wins LAF lottery despite other teams being much worse and in need

Man, what a terrible 5 years it's been for you poor Ranger fans....

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I am going to just ignore the rest of this whiney post, and going to highlight this ridiculous statement.

• Panarin
  • Malcontent American top prospect refuses to play for previous teams, forces hand to NY for nothing, becomes top 5 dman

Man, what a terrible 5 years it's been for you poor Ranger fans....
Also got a lottery pick with Kakko.

Reactions: Statsy

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Meanwhile my precious Canucks haven’t won a single lottery pick in their history going back to their inception, which was a lottery between just them and expansion cousin Buffalo that we somehow still lost. :facepalm:
That's kind of wild, but hey, getting Hughes outside the top 5 was a steal. He's probably better than anyone chosen in this past draft.

Reactions: Statsy

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
What does that even mean, every team not in the playoffs gets a chance, even the worst team only had a 20% chance. Ottawa drafted fifth that year,
On the date of the first round of the lottery that year, the teams in the lottery were Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa, San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, and eight undetermined-location placeholders (the eight losers of the yet to be played play-in round). So of the seven teams that conclusively could have won the first pick that day, Ottawa was the only Canadian one.

As it turns out, one of the placeholders did.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've always thought the same watching him. He plays a very high risk, high reward style of offense, and he gets both results.

My sense after watching the tournament was that the ice was never more tilted in Canada's favor than when Stankoven and Johnson were out there. Chance after chance after chance, very little against. Before the tournament I would have said that Johnson was too iffy on turnovers and not good enough in puck battles but he was clearly winning more pucks than he was losing here. Lots of takeaways.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Ottawa’s star players are American and German.

Toronto’s is American too.

Montreal just drafted a Slovak first overall over the highly touted Canadian.

Vancouver’s top scorer is American, as are Calgary’s two star players until they just left.

Your line of reasoning is beyond bizarre.

We don’t care where they are from, only how they play.

Who are the fan favourites? Alfredsson and Karlsson, Sundin, the Sedins? Kovalev and Koivu?

The reason people were annoyed at Laf going to New York is because they were already basically a playoff team that had no business drafting first overall.

Never in a million years did I ever expect to see a Rangers fan trying to portray their franchise as a victim.
you're not even addressing what I'm talking about, this is about players when they're tallied as prospects not full time roster players and the hype that's generated for each. Before Lafreniere even took his first shift there was drop off in league wide fan interest significantly and who do you think is mainly to blame for that? It seems so hard for a Canadian to accept just how privileged they are when it comes to the sport of Hockey and player reception revolving around the media, what players get more coverage and those that don't etc.
As a Ranger fan living on Long Island who follows no other sport but Hockey I just can't help but notice there's a clear distaste that almost all Canadian media and fans seem to have for the metro area and it's players including the NJD and NYI. That's all I'm trying to really say.

and yes this is also how I justify a dumbass CA coach mismanaging Othmann and not keeping him within the top-6 when he's one of, if not the only player on that roster that can provide massive game changing hits while providing goals.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
you're not even addressing what I'm talking about, this is about players when they're tallied as prospects not full time roster players and the hype that's generated for each. Before Lafreniere even took his first shift there was drop off in league wide fan interest significantly and who do you think is mainly to blame for that? It seems so hard for a Canadian to accept just how privileged they are when it comes to the sport of Hockey and player reception revolving around the media, what players get more coverage and those that don't etc.
As a Ranger fan living on Long Island who follows no other sport but Hockey I just can't help but notice there's a clear distaste that almost all Canadian media and fans seem to have for the metro area and it's players including the NJD and NYI. That's all I'm trying to really say.

and yes this is also how I justify a dumbass CA coach mismanaging Othmann and not keeping him within the top-6 when he's one of, if not the only player on that roster that can provide massive game changing hits while providing goals.
Let me get this straight...

Are you seriously asserting that Brennan Othmann, who was put onto the top line by the coach, was then subsequently taken off that line………….wait for it………….. because he’s a Rangers draft pick???

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's kind of wild, but hey, getting Hughes outside the top 5 was a steal. He's probably better than anyone chosen in this past draft.
And then you can go to teams like the Flyers at the absolute shit luck dating back 10-12 years

- worst team by far, lost a HOFer for a 30g scorer at 2 overall
- Trade a large package for a HOFer d-man and lose him to earlier retirement due to fluke injury
- win a lottery to draft an all around 1C who cannot play due to migraines
- trade for another top pairing d-man who retires early unexpectedly due to covid
- trade for another top pairing d-man who is now on semi-perma LTIR due to an unknown injury
- multiple top prospects missing seasons at a time due to injury (Foerster, Frost)
- dropping to 5th in a 4 horse 2022 draft

The Flyers have work to do with their management - but my god, look at the above.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
How come no one is talking about Finland's goalie? I thought he was great
Because both of our goalies were terrible in the groupstage, Meriläinen lost his no.1 spot to Jatkola in the elimination games but Jatkola was so bad in his groupstage game that Meriläinen kept starting.

Jatkola was pretty good in the last two games tho.

Reactions: No ReGretzkys

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The entire Canada Roster thread is filled with people saying what a bad coach Dave Cameron is, for all kinds of reasons, and you're so fixated on your victim mentality that you can't even see the forest for the trees.

Bedard getting benched for entire periods or half-periods?

He's Canadian, he's the Next One, why isn't he seeing the ice at crucial times when Canada needs a goal?

It's hard to take you seriously because all you care about is your own team's players to the exclusion of anything else, while fueling some bizarre deep-seated anti-Canadian sentiment.

Dave Cameron is a bad coach because he's a bad coach, not because he has it in for Rangers prospects, or because the media isn't apparently as enthused about your guys as you might like.

AirGut said:
It seems so hard for a Canadian to accept just how privileged they are

Yeah, as an Ottawa fan, with formerly one of the worst owners in professional sports, paying massive Canadian taxes in a small market while earning revenue in Canadian dollars, I really feel sorry for the New York Rangers, their massive club valuation, and their propensity for winning lotteries and players demanding to be traded there.

Keep in mind that I was a Rangers fan for years before the Senators were even in the league, back when Kelly Kisio was the Captain.

Brian Leetch was my favourite player and I still have his White Lady Liberty jersey hanging in my closet and his Rookie Card on my desk. I had Messier, Leetch and the 1994 Cup posters on my wall. I know a lot more about the Rangers than you might think.

As one of the marquee franchises in the league, the Rangers and their fans have very little to complain about.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

a) Canadian's do not have a distaste for the New York Metro area. If you think there is a distaste it's probably because New York is one of the only hockey markets in the league that has a fanbase on the same level as Toronto/Montreal. And again, as a canadian who loves following prospects/young players, I would rather watch a highly touted canadian play in the new york metro area then somewhere like Arizona.

b) As others have said, Dave Cameron makes a ton of questionable decisions, but at the end of the day the majority of the team is just as talented in Othmann, so taking him out of the top-6 is not a huge deal. They won the tournament, so it's hard to call the coach a dumbass.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

• Panarin

Man, what a terrible 5 years it's been for you poor Ranger fans..
NYR are never going to be a bad for long,that market is too important.....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad